Replaced all 4 tires with UHP tires..report...

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

well, i finally had enough of these eco freakin tires. the fronts are finally down enough to change, and i dont plan on selling this car, so i decided to change all 4 earlier than i probably needed to.anyway, i put on the kumho ecsta 4x ll ultra high performance all season tires. 84.00 front and 64.00 in the back and with 10% cash back from discover card buying from sams club this month it was a good deal. let me tell u they r great. it is so much safer at higher speeds. i dont feel like the car is going to fly in the air anymore at high speeds. why gm thought they should sacrifice safety for a couple extra miles of range is beyond me. the car is much funner now than it even was before. i really dont c a huge difference in range. i havent completed a full charge cycle on these tires yet but it doesnt look like i lost more than about 2 miles of range. i will post exactly when i get to 5 miles left.

my opinion for the board is to dump all 4 eco tires and get some high performance tires with some grip. u wont regret it.

evboy said:
well, i finally had enough of these eco freakin tires. the fronts are finally down enough to change, and i dont plan on selling this car, so i decided to change all 4 earlier than i probably needed to.anyway, i put on the kumho ecsta 4x ll ultra high performance all season tires. 84.00 front and 64.00 in the back and with 10% cash back from discover card buying from sams club this month it was a good deal. let me tell u they r great. it is so much safer at higher speeds. i dont feel like the car is going to fly in the air anymore at high speeds. why gm thought they should sacrifice safety for a couple extra miles of range is beyond me. the car is much funner now than it even was before. i really dont c a huge difference in range. i havent completed a full charge cycle on these tires yet but it doesnt look like i lost more than about 2 miles of range. i will post exactly when i get to 5 miles left.

my opinion for the board is to dump all 4 eco tires and get some high performance tires with some grip. u wont regret it.

You’re going to lose more than a couple miles of range with non-LRR tires. Many of us can’t afford the 10-15% range loss, especially in winter.

But, don’t take me wrong, the EP150 is the worst tire I’ve ever seen. There are good LRR tires available.

okay completed my cycle.i averaged 45 to 50 degrees this cycle and you r right its more than 2 miles. looks like i lost 5 to 7 miles but i am riding it alot harder then before too, so i guess i will have to drive normal next cycle and compare. bottom line it was worth it for the improved ride.

These eco tires are so horrible in snow/ice/winter that right now we don't use our Spark EV on snowy days. Next year we plan to get dedicated snow tires for winter and expect it to be night and day different.

For now we are buying different wheels in summer and putting on 205 50 15s so it'll be interesting to see how the performance and mileage changes in summer. I'm hoping it won't be any worse than what we see now in winter. Thankfully, however, we tend to have very short trips (less than 10 miles per day total is our norm--- often less than 5 miles a day actually) but we expect to use the car more in summer months :)

what do u guys think the 60 time is with 4 uhp tires on them now. its 7.5 from the factory with the eco tires on them.

The stock Ecopias are rather bad in the rain. Had the traction control activate two times just driving a few miles down city streets and I slid a few feet at my first stop light.

LRR == Low Rolling Resistance.

That means "poor stickiness", which means "poor traction".

I had been considering buying a second set of 4 wheels and having 2 sets of tires : "winter" (rain) tires that stick (Nov-mid-May) and "summer" (dry) tires (May-Oct).

fr100 said:
The stock Ecopias are rather bad in the rain. Had the traction control activate two times just driving a few miles down city streets and I slid a few feet at my first stop light.
I just replaced the original front tires on my 2015 Spark EV with Ecopia 422 plus 185 / 55R15 82V tires. I will have to see how they perform over time, but so far I have not experienced any problems or concerns. I am planning to install the same tires on my 2014 Spark EV this coming week. Note: I do not drive my cars hard. The original tires on my 2015 Spark EV were worn down to 4/32" from 10/32 new. These original tires had been driven 26k miles.

Update 8 Mar 2018: The Ecopia 422 Plus tires are working great. Granted, I am not trying to set the asphalt on fire nor am I dealing with extreme cold or snowy conditions. But, I am experiencing comfortable performance and no noticeable impact on my range. Today I averaged 6 mi / kWh and, after fully charging my 2014 this evening, the GOM showed 94 miles. I do expect the front tires will wear out at about 30k miles even though the tires have a 70k mile warranty. My calculated battery capacity has been running right around 17 kWh for my 2014 Spark EV which has only 13,200 miles on the ODO. This car was originally a Hertz rental vehicle and, when I purchased it, the front tires already had noticeable tire wear. Probably too much power and too much temptation!

Back