California warranty ?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

I read that if you live in California the battery warranty is actually 10 years on the sparke. If this is true, and my battery went out in year 9, could I ship the car to Cali, get a Cali driver's license, stay at a budget suites for a month, and then tow it to the dealership for a free battery?

evboy said:
I read that if you live in California the battery warranty is actually 10 years on the sparke. If this is true, and my battery went out in year 9, could I ship the car to Cali, get a Cali driver's license, stay at a budget suites for a month, and then tow it to the dealership for a free battery?
I like the way you think !!
Only these batteries probably don't 'Go out' they die a long slow death, that you can plot.
There is a line in the sand where if degradation gets bad enough the warranty kicks in.

evboy said:
I am not sure where the "10 years" in California came from but, if it is real, I would like to know where to get that document.

Page 14 of the Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet for the Spark EV states the HV battery is covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles. During that time, HV battery capacity degradation must exceed 35% to be considered for warranty coverage. Even then, the booklet continues, "If warranty repair requires replacement, the high voltage battery may be replaced with either a new or factory reconditioned high voltage battery with an energy capacity (kWh storage) level at or within approximately 10% of that of the original battery at the time of warranty repair. Your Electric Propulsion battery warranty replacement may not return your vehicle to an "as new" condition, but it will make your Spark EV fully operational appropriate to its age and mileage."

If, when the HV battery was new and it had a full-charge capacity of 18 kWh, the full charge capacity would have to fall to 11.7 kWh (100%-35%) or lower to qualify for warranty replacement. I have not yet seen any posts where this has happened.

I know that Volts sold in California have an 8/150 battery warranty (8/100 everywhere else). But, I think that's based on where the car was sold. So, if the Spark EV is the same, it would depend on where the initial sale was made.

Back