100,000 miles on Spark

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodgerfan

I hit 100k today 4 years 3 months and 26 days.. No more warranty has me nervous. At 50% it said 7.4 kWh. I get about 60 miles to the charge averaging 3.8 mpkwh.low miles per key is because of my tires I was at 4.2 on the eco tires and 70 mile range 2 months ago.

agdodgerfan said:
I hit 100k today 4 years 3 months and 26 days.. No more warranty has me nervous. At 50% it said 7.4 kWh. I get about 60 miles to the charge averaging 3.8 mpkwh.low miles per key is because of my tires I was at 4.2 on the eco tires and 70 mile range 2 months ago.

15 kWh of battery after 100K miles is pretty good! That's about 20% loss over 100K miles.

You can get much better mileage on the freeway by driving slower (60 instead of 70+). And I really mean MUCH better mileage.

SparkE said:
agdodgerfan said:

15 kWh of battery after 100K miles is pretty good! That's about 20% loss over 100K miles.

You can get much better mileage on the freeway by driving slower (60 instead of 70+). And I really mean MUCH better mileage.
Very true! I get better mi/kWh at 60 mph than I do at 70 mph. Today, I drove from my home in Manteca to Elk Grove and back. This was a round trip of almost 100 miles and most of which was between 67-69 mph. I averaged 5.0 mi/kWh for the entire trip. At 60 mph I would typically see about 6.0 mi/kWh or slightly more.

agdodgerfan said:

Congrats, very nice!!!

Out of curiosity, any chance you might list service visits, parts replaced, little nagging issues or anything along those lines down to the smallest details?

Would be interesting to know how many kwh/mwh/gwh the car has consumed from wall to wheels in 100k miles.

Again, congrats on 100k and hopefully many more. Btw your battery seems to be doing quite well, I'd be very happy if that was mine, but would take me about 12yrs at my rate.

agdodgerfan said:
I hit 100k today 4 years 3 months and 26 days.. No more warranty has me nervous......
You are past due for a 'Drive Unit fluid change'. 97.5k miles.
Have you had that done or priced it at your local dealer?

edit:
I want to do it early in a simple 'Drain and Refill' manner and not spend $300 to have the dealership make a big deal out of it.

I had to replace my 12volt battery, did the recall stuff and that is about it. I do need to take it in and do the 97k service. I just always have issues with chevy dealers not knowing what is supposed to be done. I have 2 payments left then I will take it in for a full workup. I know the cv boot is leaking. It was before end of warranty but not enough time for me to take it in.

agdodgerfan said:
If I understand your post correctly, your estimated full-charge battery capacity at 100K miles would be about 14.8 kWh. Fantastic! I would be ecstatic to have 14.8 kWh at 100k miles. Are you driving a 2014 Spark EV? The 2014 has a battery manufactured by A123 Systems. A123 also built the batteries for the Chevy Volt and I have not read any complaints about battery degradation in Chevy Volts. I measured the battery capacity for a friend of mine who was driving a 2015 Spark EV. At 29K miles, his battery capacity measured 14.8 kWh!

My wife and I are currently driving a 2014 and 2016 Chevy Spark EV. I now am using TorquePro and an OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter to measure each car's battery capacity monthly. It will be interesting to see how the battery capacities in the two cars compare over time.

agdodgerfan said:
How did u put so many miles on it? Do u drive uber?

MrDRMorgan said:
A123 also built the batteries for the Chevy Volt and I have not read any complaints about battery degradation in Chevy Volts
Agreed. The part of that battery available for use (due to GM being super conservative) may be playing a big role in how well they're doing. No dcfc probably helps matters as well. It will be interesting to see in the future, if capacity loss is "hidden" via programming (expanding usable capacity as loss is recognized).

evboy said:
How did u put so many miles on it? Do u drive uber?
Uber, unwisely, doesn't allow for the Spark to be used, to the best of my knowledge, due to it being a 4 seater.

IMHO, uber should offer you to select your number of passengers and whether you are bringing luggage in excess of a single standard carry on roller bag. That and select if you prefer a more efficient means of transportation (EV or Hybrid).

TheLondonBroiler said:
MrDRMorgan said:
A123 also built the batteries for the Chevy Volt and I have not read any complaints about battery degradation in Chevy Volts
Agreed. The part of that battery available for use (due to GM being super conservative) may be playing a big role in how well they're doing. No dcfc probably helps matters as well. It will be interesting to see in the future, if capacity loss is "hidden" via programming (expanding usable capacity as loss is recognized).

All production Volts use batteries from LG Chem, not A123.

agdodgerfan said:

Again, YOU DA'MAN !

What are you up to now?

It will be interesting how it does if and when you go back to LRR/eco tires!

Take a few readings with usage deeper than 50% and average them.

TheLondonBroiler said:
JeremyW said:
All production Volts use batteries from LG Chem, not A123.

Learn something new everyday. Appreciate the correction.

I stand corrected. I thought I had read somewhere that the Volt had HV batteries from A123 Systems. I was definitely wrong! I found a HV battery test done on a 2013 Chevy Volt by the Idaho National Laboratory and it stated the battery was manufactured by LG.

So....Now my next question: is HV battery degradation accelerated by fast charging?

MrDRMorgan said:
agdodgerfan said:
If I understand your post correctly, your estimated full-charge battery capacity at 100K miles would be about 14.8 kWh. Fantastic! I would be ecstatic to have 14.8 kWh at 100k miles. Are you driving a 2014 Spark EV? The 2014 has a battery manufactured by A123 Systems. A123 also built the batteries for the Chevy Volt and I have not read any complaints about battery degradation in Chevy Volts. I measured the battery capacity for a friend of mine who was driving a 2015 Spark EV. At 29K miles, his battery capacity measured 14.8 kWh!

My wife and I are currently driving a 2014 and 2016 Chevy Spark EV. I now am using TorquePro and an OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter to measure each car's battery capacity monthly. It will be interesting to see how the battery capacities in the two cars compare over time.

25-Sep-18: My statement about who built the HV battery for the Volt is wrong. The battery is manufactured by LG.

I am curious. Did you follow any special charging protocol to end up with 14.8 kWh of battery capacity at 100k miles?

MrDRMorgan said:
....So....Now my next question: is HV battery degradation accelerated by fast charging?
There is a report of a detailed test program on fleet of Leafs owned by a business.
Half were charger strictly DCFC and the other half L2.
The difference was incredibly minimal,, and those suckers don't have a proper TMS.

Search for it. I had it saved somewhere but can't find it now.

Almost to 112,000 miles. I will try to remember to check after a full charge when I hit the 50% mark to give you all an update. Still only thing I have replaced is the 12v battery and a ton of tires. I do hear a noise now from what I believe is the half shaft. Mainly during initially taking off.

agdodgerfan said:
Almost to 112,000 miles. I will try to remember to check after a full charge when I hit the 50% mark to give you all an update. Still only thing I have replaced is the 12v battery and a ton of tires. I do hear a noise now from what I believe is the half shaft. Mainly during initially taking off.
Any updates?

AmigOs said:
agdodgerfan said:
Any updates?

at over 1 year its safe to say nope! I'm damn amazed how can someone put 100k on the car the car itself is hard to put miles on it if you don't have a place to charge often enough

Back