Steering column key slot cover came off - Should I buy it?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBinStoon

I'm shopping for a 2015 Spark EV. I found one with the options and colours I want and everything seems good. My only concern is that in one of the pictures on the ad I noticed the blank that covers the key slot on the steering column was hanging off. I asked them about it and they said there is nothing wrong, it just needs to be put back on.

They've been very transparent with everything else so far so I don't have a reason not to believe them but it's got me worried. I'm trying to figure out why it would have been off in the first place.

They took another picture close-up to show that everything is good but I don't know what it's supposed to look like under there. Here are both pictures.

Am I overthinking this? Should I let them stick it back on and proceed with the purchase? Do any of you know if the metal part behind the cover is supposed to look like that?

Spark.png

IMG_1248_1.jpg

EBinStoon said:
I'm shopping for a 2015 Spark EV. I found one with the options and colours I want and everything seems good. My only concern is that in one of the pictures on the ad I noticed the blank that covers the key slot on the steering column was hanging off. I asked them about it and they said there is nothing wrong, it just needs to be put back on.

They've been very transparent with everything else so far so I don't have a reason not to believe them but it's got me worried. I'm trying to figure out why it would have been off in the first place.

They took another picture close-up to show that everything is good but I don't know what it's supposed to look like under there. Here are both pictures.

Am I overthinking this? Should I let them stick it back on and proceed with the purchase? Do any of you know if the metal part behind the cover is supposed to look like that?

Spark.png

IMG_1248_1.jpg
When I purchased my used 2016 Spark EV, the cover was missing. So I ordered one - GM part number 95193948. I do not remember what it cost. The box contains the gray cover which has a thin plastic wire-like piece which goes into the small hole. The box also contains another black plastic piece that you will not need.

It looks like all you really need to do is snap the cover back into place unless it is damaged. The wire-like part is only used to keep the cover from falling completely off. Be sure you correctly align the cover.

MrDRMorgan said:
When I purchased my used 2016 Spark EV, the cover was missing. So I ordered one - GM part number 95193948. I do not remember what it cost. The box contains the gray cover which has a thin plastic wire-like piece which goes into the small hole. The box also contains another black plastic piece that you will not need.

It looks like all you really need to do is snap the cover back into place unless it is damaged. The wire-like part is only used to keep the cover from falling completely off. Be sure you correctly align the cover.

That's a relief. I think I'll go ahead and buy this car then. I had it in my mind that getting this part to pop off must be a challenge and was picturing a failed thief jamming a screw driver in there or something. Funny, but in this situation I'm grateful to hear that this part falls off easily. Thanks for your input!

They likely had if off because that is where you put the key fob when the battery in the fob goes dead. I think it is also where the key fob goes when programming a new fob. As long as you don't have to drive the car with the fob in the dummy ignition, it should be fine.

That's a relief. I think I'll go ahead and buy this car then. I had it in my mind that getting this part to pop off must be a challenge and was picturing a failed thief jamming a screw driver in there or something. Funny, but in this situation I'm grateful to hear that this part falls off easily. Thanks for your input!

I think this is about as minor of a problem as you could find with a used car. The only time I had to remove that cover was when the battery was failing on my key fob and I had to stick the key into that slot to get the car to recognize it. I did find it difficult to get the cover to stay in place afterward (it took a few tries to get it just right), which could explain why it's hanging off now. This also suggests that you should test the keys to make sure they both work.

SparkieVee said:
I think this is about as minor of a problem as you could find with a used car. The only time I had to remove that cover was when the battery was failing on my key fob and I had to stick the key into that slot to get the car to recognize it. I did find it difficult to get the cover to stay in place afterward (it took a few tries to get it just right), which could explain why it's hanging off now. This also suggests that you should test the keys to make sure they both work.

Thanks for the reply. I told them I wanted two keys included before I asked how many came with the car so it's possible they bought a second one to include with it.

Back