Changing digital readout from Centigrade to Fahrenheit

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl

I have tried to reset the Centigrade temp readout to Fahrenheit over and over again, but each time that I have it reading Fahrenheit correctly, when I turn off the car and restart it defers to Centigrade again. How do I make it stick to Fahrenheit permanently?

jjl said:
I have tried to reset the Centigrade temp readout to Fahrenheit over and over again, but each time that I have it reading Fahrenheit correctly, when I turn off the car and restart it defers to Centigrade again. How do I make it stick to Fahrenheit permanently?
I had this problem when I first started driving my leased 2015 Spark EV. You will have to take your Spark EV to the dealer and have them reprogram the RADIO USB per BULLETIN P1457, DOC 4109861 CODE S13991875B30

I also noticed that, when driving in L at night, it took about 1.5 seconds for the brake lights to come on after I removed my foot from the accelerator pedal. This is way too long if you are traveling at freeway speeds. This was corrected through BULLETIN 15582, RECALL CAMPAIGN S1024837559A.

You may want to ask your dealer to update your Spark EV to all of the available updates. There have been a number of them.

MrDRMorgan said:
jjl"I also noticed that said:
I had no problem with dropping it from 5th or 6th into 3rd or 2nd if I wanted to slow down in a hurry without the tactical disadvantage of brake lights coming on. I could not help the deceleration exhaust note (quite pleasant in my 2006 Honda Civic SI), but hey.

If I want brake lights, I'll step on the brake pedal, thank you. Honestly, as someone that dearly misses downshifting, I'd prefer that the brake lights only come on if I am actively pressing the brake pedal.

Again, they are brake lights, not deceleration lights, thank you.

Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." And yes, I am aware that quote often comes up in the context of new technology and concerns about government surveillance.

charles said:
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Niven's 4th Law :
F × S = k. The product of Freedom and Security is a constant. To gain more freedom of thought and/or action, you must give up some security, and vice versa.

charles said:
MrDRMorgan said:
jjl"I also noticed that said:
I had no problem with dropping it from 5th or 6th into 3rd or 2nd if I wanted to slow down in a hurry without the tactical disadvantage of brake lights coming on. I could not help the deceleration exhaust note (quite pleasant in my 2006 Honda Civic SI), but hey.

If I want brake lights, I'll step on the brake pedal, thank you. Honestly, as someone that dearly misses downshifting, I'd prefer that the brake lights only come on if I am actively pressing the brake pedal.

Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." And yes, I am aware that quote often comes up in the context of new technology and concerns about government surveillance.
Are you actually driving a Spark EV?? If you are and have any knowledge of the car, you would know that when driving in L, quickly removing your foot off of the accelerator will automatically turn on the brake lights if the deceleration g-force caused by regeneration exceeds Chevy's programmed limit.

My point is that the car was delivered with about a 1.2-1.5 second delay between removing your foot off of the accelerator and when the brake lights would go on. I found this delay confused some drivers behind me and apparently other Spark EV drivers had the same concern. Chevy issued a service bulletin to reduce the delay so the brake lights come on just as if you touched the brake pedal. Benjamin Franklin had nothing to do with this!

charles said:
.....if I wanted to slow down in a hurry without the tactical disadvantage of brake lights coming on. I could not help the deceleration exhaust note (quite pleasant in my 2006 Honda Civic SI), but hey.

If I want brake lights, I'll step on the brake pedal, thank you. .....
"Tactical Disadvantage" ? :lol:
Which game or competition are you talking about? :?:

When on a commute we're all in it together. There are no winners or losers.
Brake lights/decel lights = equal the exact same thing. :roll:

The idea is to make the world of commuting a safer place for all,,,, not 'every man for himself' :)

NORTON said:
"Tactical Disadvantage" ? :lol:
Which game or competition are you talking about? :?:

When on a commute we're all in it together. There are no winners or losers.
Brake lights/decel lights = equal the exact same thing. :roll:

The idea is to make the world of commuting a safer place for all,,,, not 'every man for himself' :)
Electric Ninja Road Warrior have a nice ring to it?

I did buy a black Chevy Spark EV. It's all Ninja like.

I haven't gone so far as to buy black wheels, but recently placed an order for custom black Texas "SPARK EV" plates. Name was available, so I nabbed it! Woo hoo!

I'm a big fan of the silent acceleration that does not attract attention, and in the same spirit of not attracting attention, would prefer the same advantage for deceleration.

The one thing I really don't like about this car is the screwy electric parking brake with no tactile feel that I can discern, it is of no practical use as an emergency brake to me.

If I really wanted to stop completely with no brake lights in the ol' Civic, between downshifting and the hand lever e-brake, it took some thought and effort, but was do-able.

charles said:
I'm a big fan of the silent acceleration that does not attract attention, and in the same spirit of not attracting attention, would prefer the same advantage for deceleration.

Being discreet during acceleration is understandable and harmless.

But I fail to see any benefit in not attracting attention to deceleration except if your goal is to create an accident...

scrambler said:

But I fail to see any benefit in not attracting attention to deceleration except if your goal is to create an accident...
Is speeding a crime? Granted that is not the same as discreet acceleration, but I hope you can understand the association. That said, I do quite enjoy discreet acceleration!

Is stopping without brake lights a crime? Not to my knowledge. Of course it is generally unsafe.

Stopping without brake lights (dead battery, jump start to get home, car dies on the way home, no lights) brought an end to my 1989 Honda CRX. I didn't even have time to get out before I was rear ended.

I still want the freedom to choose to stop without brake lights. There may be a situation where such an action is best. Street smarts safety is my specific concern. I won't go into details, but it involves being the victim of a violent crime in my past. I hope you can understand that I feel strongly about this and why, but not so strongly to completely ditch my Chevy Spark EV over it. In the end, I did survive both cases.

charles said:
scrambler said:

Is speeding a crime? Granted that is not the same as discreet acceleration, but I hope you can understand the association. That said, I do quite enjoy discreet acceleration!

Is stopping without brake lights a crime? Not to my knowledge. Of course it is generally unsafe.

Stopping without brake lights (dead battery, jump start to get home, car dies on the way home, no lights) brought an end to my 1989 Honda CRX. I didn't even have time to get out before I was rear ended.

I still want the freedom to choose to stop without brake lights. There may be a situation where such an action is best. Street smarts safety is my specific concern. I won't go into details, but it involves being the victim of a violent crime in my past. I hope you can understand that I feel strongly about this and why, but not so strongly to completely ditch my Chevy Spark EV over it. In the end, I did survive both cases.
The original question posted regarded how to fix the display so it would display deg. F and not default to deg. C. I provided that information and included information regarding a fix for the brake light delay which occurs when you are driving in L and remove your foot from the accelerator. This action is built into every Spark EV. If you do not want the brake lights to come on until you step on the brake pedal, drive in D!

charles said:
..Is stopping without brake lights a crime? Not to my knowledge. Of course it is generally unsafe.

.. I hope you can understand that I feel strongly about this ... In the end, I did survive both cases.
I'm pretty sure there is a law that you need working brake lights. :roll:
In fact I think the Feds have now made some sort of law for us EV Geeks about decelerating above a certain G rate requires a brake light.

Nope. Can't understand why you feel strongly about this subject,, especially with your history. :oops:

NORTON said:
I'm pretty sure there is a law that you need working brake lights. :roll:
In fact I think the Feds have now made some sort of law for us EV Geeks about decelerating above a certain G rate requires a brake light.

Nope. Can't understand why you feel strongly about this subject,, especially with your history. :oops:
Um, yeah. When it comes to safety inspection, if my brake lights don't work when the brake pedal is depressed, I fail, and I should. That much I will concede.

So I'm a minority as an EV driver that also happens to be in the minority on the subject of brake light control.

I don't agree with the G rate thing. How is what I want any different than dropping it from 6th to 2nd in my 2006 Civic Si? I'm pretty sure that didn't activate the brake lights. If I grab a handful of (or step on) the e-brake has that traditionally activated the brake lights? Maybe it does, I honestly don't know, but would not expect it.

Some good has come of this, it did prompt me to become more acquainted with the Spark EV parking / emergency brake.

I tested it after dark, and just as I hoped it would not, engaging the parking / emergency brake while rolling with lights off engaged the brake lights. Do "normal" cars do that? Oh well.

My argument is simply a desire to have "control freak" freedom vs. what is obviously more safe. I had freedom before, and kind of took it for granted. Now I seem to be in the minority, so I lose.

On a brighter note, if you've never experimented with use of the Spark EV parking / emergency brake, try it sometime when it's not an emergency. It's a rather foreign experience, for me at least, but with a little practice, if an emergency arises, hopefully you will have the feel and muscle memory. That's the good that's come out of this discussion in my case.

charles said:
...I don't agree with the G rate thing.
>How is what I want any different than dropping it from 6th to 2nd in my 2006 Civic Si? ...
>If I grab a handful of (or step on) the e-brake has that traditionally activated the brake lights? ....

On a brighter note, if you've never experimented with use of the Spark EV parking / emergency brake, try it sometime when it's not an emergency. ....
with a little practice, if an emergency arises, hopefully you will have the feel and muscle memory. That's the good that's come out of this discussion in my case.
The Feds are trying to make the place a little safer. For all.
A ninja can cut wires and install a switch to do his deeds, whatever they may be.... :roll: Probably not for good, but for evil :lol:

>>If you do these things, with cars behind you,, well,, you know what everyone would call you, right?

On a brighter note ! :cool: I agree, practice with the E brake while in motion!

(On a darker note: I bought a used motorcycle once that had 2 switches. 1 shut off ALL rear light functions. The other shut off the headlight. I never used them but I knew when I would need to use them. Fortunately I was an adult.)

Good advice. I should take it to the Modifications & Accessories section if I want to go full ninja.

Back