17.1 capacity

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

My 2014 has 13400 miles now and the capacity is 17.1.where would you rank that. Great good or normal for this age.

evboy said:
My 2014 has 13400 miles now and the capacity is 17.1.where would you rank that. Great good or normal for this age.

normal for this age

But one reading is not really "a capacity" - and using the "energy usage" screen to guestimate isn't very accurate (close enough, but it could 'really' be 17.5 as well as 16.7). Even using the numbers reported via the OBD2 port vary.

My advice : don't worry, be happy. Drive it until it dies a peaceful, slow death (or your wife wrecks it).

evboy said:
My 2014 Spark EV has 15,329 miles on the ODO. My battery capacity, as measured by TorquePro through an OBD2 adapter ranges 16.9 - 17.2 kWh over the last 16 measurements covering the just over 1000 miles. I would say you are in good shape.

Recently at a National Drive Electric Week event, I met another forum member that has a 2014 without DCFC (unsure of mileage, only pretty sure it was less than 40,000). We plugged in my obd adapter, and his read 16.4kwh. At an easily achievable 5mi/kwh, this still gives exactly the epa rated range of 82 miles.

TheLondonBroiler said:
Recently at a National Drive Electric Week event, I met another forum member that has a 2014 without DCFC (unsure of mileage, only pretty sure it was less than 40,000). We plugged in my obd adapter, and his read 16.4kwh. At an easily achievable 5mi/kwh, this still gives exactly the epa rated range of 82 miles.
Most of my driving is around town and I always drive in L. Currently, my full-charge GOM readings for both cars are running between 90 - 100 miles with my mi/kWh running around 6+ mi/kWh. Over time, I should be able to see a degradation difference, if any, between my 2014 and 2016 if DCFC is a culprit. If the degradation is due to the battery manufacturer, well...…?

TheLondonBroiler said:

the epa rated range is based on a specific series of tests at various speeds - including freeway speeds. I guarantee you that nobody is going to get over 4.5 miles/kWh on flat ground at 60 mph, let alone 68mph. 16 kWh is about 65 miles on the freeway (55-60 mph).

SparkE said:
TheLondonBroiler said:

the epa rated range is based on a specific series of tests at various speeds - including freeway speeds. I guarantee you that nobody is going to get over 4.5 miles/kWh on flat ground at 60 mph, let alone 68mph. 16 kWh is about 65 miles on the freeway (55-60 mph).
I have to disagree with you there! I easily achieve 5.5 mi/kWh at my normal driving speed of 60 mph in both my 2014 and my 2015 Spark EVs. Today, my mi/kWh was spectacular in my 2016. When I got back on the freeway after quick-charging to 92%, for fun I drafted a pickup truck pulling a pontoon boat at 55 mph. I saw my mi/kWh jump up to as high as 9.6 mi/kWh. I drove behind the boat for about 6 of the 10 miles home and arrived with more GOM miles than I had right after charging. And, when I got home, the trip meter still read 9.2 mi/kWh in my garage. Never happened before!

I guess that I should have said "nobody is going to get over 4.5 miles/kWh on flat ground at 60 mph unless drafting a truck". :?

I *never* managed to get 5 m/kWh on the freeway - it was always around 4.0-4.5.

SparkE said:
I guess that I should have said "nobody is going to get over 4.5 miles/kWh on flat ground at 60 mph unless drafting a truck". :?

First: are you referring to the mi/kWh value as wall-to-wheels or what's shown on the trip meter?
Second: The only time I see mi/kWh values under 5 is when I am using the heater on a cold winter day. Then, for a while, I am in the 3s and low 4s.
Third: I do not "hyper-mile" but I am not Mario Andretti either.
Fourth: I ALWAYS drive in L for maximum regeneration. This works best in town.

Production was cut short today at the vehicle manufacturing plant I'm employed at. I made my 62 mile trip commute, using 9.7kwh. 42 miles is interstate, 12 miles is 33/45mph city streets, and 8 miles of 45/55mph country roads. I drive gently, but generally not under 60mph on the interstate.

I'm guessing you have NON-LRR under inflated tires, extremely cold weather, a problem with your right foot, or some other vehicle related problem, if you can't easily achieve 5mi/kwh at highway speeds on level ground (I live in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains).

Here's a live video I shot this summer, around the city of Charlotte, NC (i485). I managed 75 miles @ ~62mph, using AC, consuming 14.5kwh. https://youtu.be/Y6VG6B2UovE (the video quality is horrendous, you can barely make out the speedometer).

SparkE said:

It depends on many things, but top speed is a key factor.

If you drive 70mph or more on the highway, then you will definitely drop below 5 miles per kwh.

scrambler said:
SparkE said:

It depends on many things, but to speed is a key factor.

If you drive 70mph or more on the highway, then you will definitely drop below 5 miles per kwh.
When the trip meter is reset the starting value on the trip meter is 4.4 mi/kWh. This number changes up or down depending on how the car is driven and the conditions in which it is being driven. I fully charged my 2016 Spark EV this morning and reset the trip meter prior to driving from our home in Manteca to the Outlets in Livermore 40 miles away. My wife was with me on this test run. This route is mostly flat to Tracy and then gradually goes uphill until the highway reaches the starting point of the Altamont Pass. Then there is a long grade going up the pass and a long grade going down the pass into the Livermore area. I deliberately drove the car at 65 - 68 mph. Results: 40 miles later, when I reached my destination in Livermore, the car registered 4.9 mi/kWh and I never saw anything higher. The trip meter read between 4.5 - 4.7mi/kWh for most of the first 25 miles of the trip to Livermore. At the end of the 40 mile return trip home - the trip meter was not reset - the trip meter read 5.2 mi/kWh with the AC on for the last 30 miles. I did quick-charge to 98% in Livermore before returning home.

EVgo shows I used 19.51 kWh for the two charging sessions (adjusted for 98% of full charge at each session). 94.5 mi / 19.51 kWh = 4.95 mi / kWh for the entire trip.

Back