New Owner - AZ

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hv707

Hey everyone,

I was just about ready to purchase a Leaf, which I wasn't too excited about (other than being able to use the HOV in Phoenix), when I came across a Craigslist ad from a small dealership in Oregon that was selling some Spark EVs. Never having heard of them, I did a lot of research, including much reading in this forum. A few weeks later, I pulled the trigger on one, and my silver 2015 Spark EV 1LT, 33K miles (no DCFC) showed up today.

Why I bought:
Looking to save on fuel and reduce commute time with HOV access

Where I bought:
Waterhouse Motors in Hillsboro, OR - highly recommend!

What I plan to do next:
Replace the front tires - they are pretty worn and aren't the originals. Need to decide 185 vs 195 and how sticky vs LRR. Reviews on everything I've read here seem to be pretty mixed.
4-wire mod the EVSE (correct terminology or no?) that came with the vehicle for 120V use. There was a spare in the car when I got it... so I can modify one without much risk. In my day job I work in engineering for a company that designs and manufactures high voltage weapons (I think in kV, not volts) for law enforcement so I am quite comfortable in that realm. Ran a 240V/60A service into the garage for a large CNC mill I used to have there so that part will be easy.
Learn more about Spark EVs and EVs in general. I have always worked on and driven older (80's- mid-90's) BMWs and I'll probably retire my 5-speed 2001 325i for the Spark for purely practical reasons.

I wanted to introduce myself as I'm sure I'll have some questions and look forward to learning more from members here. If anyone has general advice they'd like to share for new owners, feel free!

Joel in PHX

Welcome to to EV ownership! I also previously spent time with various Bavarian vehicles built between ‘82 and ‘02 and have discovered new hobbies in free time no longer spent in the garage. We still have a nice ‘01 530 for long distance trips. However for anything less than 70 miles round trip, first choice is always the surprisingly enjoyable Spark EV.

If range is not an issue, then a wider tire with more grip will likely bring a more satisfying driving experience. The Spark EV reminds me most of the small and relatively quick ‘91 325iX I used to love - with the glaring exception that the e30 would easily navigate turns at ridiculous speeds. I’m a bit older now and don’t have much desire to test the limits of my transportation. The original tires serve me well enough but there are occasions where a bit more grip would bring the already high hoot factor a notch upward.

Be more aware of wildlife near the road. For some reason woodland creatures don’t seem to pay much attention to the EV compared to gasmobiles.

It’s weird not having a spare tire. Decent rubber is critical.

Best regards,

Joe Min WV

A comparison to an E30 is pretty high praise! I'm enjoying the driving so far but am refraining from much acceleration in corners as I do not trust the lateral grip plus torque steer.

Are you still running the Ecopia 150s?

I'm on the original Ecopias in the summer and run Michelin X-Ice in the winter. My commute is only 30 miles round trip so still have less than 15K on the car - maybe 10K max on the original rubber.

My comparison to the e30 was based on: Car makes me happy to drive it almost every time I get behind the wheel. Impressed with a unexpectedly decent performance in a small package. Love the sleeper aspect of humiliating "performance" vehicles and seeing WTF expressions in the rear view mirror. Little to no attention paid to the car by law enforcement. Tight turning radius. Simple and ergonomic dash controls - I found dash controls on the Volt to require an uncomfortable amount of time with eyes off the road.

Joe M in WV

Hey Joel. I contacted that guy in Oregon too. Talked with him for a good half hour. He went out of his way to look up what he had and what he was about to buy. He gave me prices including shipping and was to send me more info the following day. He never sent me anything. I ended up looking at and buying my current car.
Forget his name but he's an ex basketball pro, does free bb camps for handicapped kids, does it in China also. A really neat guy....turns out I got a better deal but if he had gotten back to me I was ready to buy from him.

Back