Range Estimation Recall & Software updates

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hv707

I'm looking for information on software updates and the range/battery estimation recall. Is there any way to know if the recall has been performed on my vehicle?

Are software updates required to be performed by dealers and do they require some sort of issue before updates will be approved?

My recently acquired '15 with 33K miles on my first full charge seems to be indicating only around 15kWh capacity (kWh used / percentage on Energy Details page). This seems low to me from what I've read and the GOM shows full range at 72 miles. Is there a definitively recommended method for checking capacity over time, like Torque vs the Energy Details method?

For two years, I should only need 40 miles/day so I'm not concerned about running out, mostly curious.

Just posting my experience as a new owner. I stopped by a dealership to ask about recalls a couple of days after picking up the car and was told that all recall service has been completed however, I also logged on and created an account on mychevrolet.com and/or on the Chevy my link app where it stated that I needed to have the battery capacity update done.... so, I’ll visit the dealer again armed with this information. On the website/app you’ll give your VIN which should get you the service information that you want.

hv707 said:
I'm looking for information on software updates and the range/battery estimation recall. Is there any way to know if the recall has been performed on my vehicle?

Are software updates required to be performed by dealers and do they require some sort of issue before updates will be approved?

My recently acquired '15 with 33K miles on my first full charge seems to be indicating only around 15kWh capacity (kWh used / percentage on Energy Details page). This seems low to me from what I've read and the GOM shows full range at 72 miles. Is there a definitively recommended method for checking capacity over time, like Torque vs the Energy Details method?

For two years, I should only need 40 miles/day so I'm not concerned about running out, mostly curious.

Having used both the Energy Information in the car and TorquePro, TorquePro wins. Reading are much more relaible and accurate.

I find it interesting that TorquePro measurements I made on two different 2015 Spark EVs with ~30K miles on the ODO each had about 15 kWh battery capacity remaining. Other postings on this forum mentioned similar results. So, given you do have 15 kWh of battery capacity remaining, how you drive the car along with your use of the AC or the heater will really determine your GOM range. Reset you trip meter every time you fully charge and record on your mi/kWh reading just prior to the next full charge. Multiply this value by your known (TorquePro measured) battery capacity to get a good estimate of your GOM range.

If your driving is mainly local, try driving in L to maximize regeneration and minimize brake wear. Personally, I drive in L all of the time - I like it! Currently, my 2014 Spark EV and 2016 Spark EV both have GOM values ranging from 90- 100 miles. As of yesterday, my 2014 has a battery capacity of 16.7 kWh and the 2016 has a battery capacity of 16.3 kWh. Both have about 15k miles on the ODO. The GOM value for each car will drop by about 25 miles when I start using the heater this winter as temperatures drop into the 30s and 40s.

Back