TPMS is required?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1398

Hi All,

Just got my hands on a used Spark EV. I wanted to get a set of winter tires for it. Is TPMS required to be installed? Or can I just leave it out, and turn it off?

I've been browsing the manual and it's unfortunately not helping.

Would appreciate some guidance.

Kind Regards,
beehjae

Early on here on this forum I read that a flat front tire would keep the car from moving.
Now that I say that, it sounds like a very unsafe thing, if you need to move out of the way..... :shock:

Sorry, I know this is not an answer... :roll:

I got a set of TPMS sensors on good ol'amazon for not much when I went with a different set of wheels and tires.

Look it up! Get the correct frequency. Don't go cheap. You'll like having that display working. It warned me once of an impending flat tire ! :!:

I keep the tire pressure display up all the time.
I saw that one tire was low and getting lower. I don't remember getting a warning msg, but I'm sure it would do that at some point.
I got to work and then pumped up the tire at lunch time and drove to a tire shop.

This is a much better system than the kind that only give you a warning once the tire is already low.

Read the Owner's Manual.

Did you find a set of steel wheels that work on this car?

$80 set of 4. Don't go cheap. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FMG8...&pd_rd_r=e2e0890e-054c-11e9-bb5a-dff16524fffe

Hi Norton,

I'll read the manual again. If it's just a flashing icon, I really wouldn't mind.

This is my quote from 1010tires:
Fast Wheels Metro (Hyper Black) Wheels 14" x 6" 4/100 40 72.60
Item #F229-1460-49PN-40C726
$455.96

Toyo Observe GSi-5 Tires 175/65R14 82T
Item #130020
$244.80

Toyo Observe GSi-5 Tires 195/60R14 86T
Item #130860
$282.62

EDIT: This is in CAD, not including taxes.

Note: A Spark EV is very different than a Gasser Spark when it comes to wheels.

Ask them to trial fit the wheels - front and rear - before installing the tires and TPMS.
The stock wheels have different offsets front and rear and cannot be swapped front for rear.
Also, I think if the hub centers are different you should get 'hubcentric rings' to properly center the wheels on the hubs.

I think you do get a yellow TPMS warning icon off on the left of the display if a tire is too low.
You won't have the individual tire pressure readings in that display if you don't go with TPMS sensors.
This is some advanced stuff that not all car makes offer. I find it important....

No it is not required at all. I got 4 steel rims with Winter tires without any. There is a warning but it works fine.

Back