evboy
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:05 am

Range collapse in 3 months

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 am

In September 2018 i posted my capacity was 17.1. In January 2017 i posted that my range was 18.09. i checked today, at almost empty, and its 15.67. Is this normal??
Also, the car is 5 years old now but only has 14600 miles. Does the battery start losing capacity as it ages even if you dont drive it much.
In theory if you drove it 500 miles a year for 5 years would the capacity still be like new or would it start losing capacity because its 5 years old.
Last edited by evboy on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JPL
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:42 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Range collapse in 3 months

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:45 am

How it was last year?
2014 Spark EV no FC
Front Speakers: Alpine 4" (SPS410)
Back Speakers: Alpine 5X7" (SPS517) w 3D print adapters

17 " Rims
Front: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 205/40R17
Back: Hankook 205/45R17

2016 Kia Soul EV no FC

2000 Honda Insight MT

evboy
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Range collapse in 3 months

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:46 am

I checked my post on here with 17.1 in the header and that was posted september 2018

SparkE
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Range collapse in 3 months

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:38 pm

It doesn't matter if it is 'normal' or not. It's what you have. Don't agonize over it.

And Li-Ion batteries do 'age' (lose capacity as the get older) - add on losses due to usage.

evboy
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Range collapse in 3 months

Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:15 pm

SparkE wrote:It doesn't matter if it is 'normal' or not. It's what you have. Don't agonize over it.

And Li-Ion batteries do 'age' (lose capacity as the get older) - add on losses due to usage.
Is it normal to go from 17.1 to 15.6 in 3 months is the question? I guess i will get a new battery if i lose 1.5 every 3 months.

67goat
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Re: Range collapse in 3 months

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:05 am

evboy wrote:
SparkE wrote:It doesn't matter if it is 'normal' or not. It's what you have. Don't agonize over it.

And Li-Ion batteries do 'age' (lose capacity as the get older) - add on losses due to usage.
Is it normal to go from 17.1 to 15.6 in 3 months is the question? I guess i will get a new battery if i lose 1.5 every 3 months.

Do you know what your capacity was last Dec? What is the difference in temp where you are living between Sept and now?

Cold months you will get your lowest readings. Warmer months see your best numbers.

It is possible to see a large decline due to temp alone. I have had years with a 1+ drop from summer to winter with most of it recovered the next summer.

MrDRMorgan
Posts: 932
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am
Location: Manteca, California

Re: Range collapse in 3 months

Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:04 am

67goat wrote:
evboy wrote:
SparkE wrote:It doesn't matter if it is 'normal' or not. It's what you have. Don't agonize over it.

And Li-Ion batteries do 'age' (lose capacity as the get older) - add on losses due to usage.
Is it normal to go from 17.1 to 15.6 in 3 months is the question? I guess i will get a new battery if i lose 1.5 every 3 months.

Do you know what your capacity was last Dec? What is the difference in temp where you are living between Sept and now?

Cold months you will get your lowest readings. Warmer months see your best numbers.

It is possible to see a large decline due to temp alone. I have had years with a 1+ drop from summer to winter with most of it recovered the next summer.
I am tending to agree with you. In June 18 my 2014 Spark EV battery capacity was 17.2 kWh. On Dec 31 it had dropped to 16.5 kWh. My 2016 Spark EV battery capacity dropped from 16.6 kWh in June to 16.1 on Dec 31. Ambient temperatures in June were around 90 - 100 deg. F. This morning, Jan 1, 2019, the low was 33 deg. F. I expect, as you indicated, the capacity values will gradually go back up as the ambient temperature increases. I will continue to measure the battery capacity in both cars to see if this is true. I am using TorquePro running on an Android tablet and an OBDLink MX bluetooth adapter to make all measurements.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”