2014 vs 2015

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arko

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but I'm very interested in purchasing a used Spark EV and I'm wondering what the real world differences in performance are between the 2014 and 2015 model years. From what I've read, the 2015 has a battery pack using LG Chem cells instead of A123, and a shorter final drive of 3.87. In addition, the 2015 seems to have considerably less torque (400 vs 327 lb-ft). Does the adjusted gear ratio make up for the lost torque? Do they both feel about the same in acceleration? I've found that 14s are much harder to find, but I'm looking forward to the instant torque shove of an electric car and I don't want to lose anything by getting a 15.

I can't directly answer your question, but I bought a used 2015 Spark EV last fall and I don't think you need to worry about the lower torque number. The 2015 puts down more torque than the front tires can handle up to at least 30 mph. As I understand it the torque is limited anyway until you get up to about 25 mph, so it's possible there is no real-world difference off the line and at lower speeds. When test driving the car I slowed to 30 on a 50 mph road and then floored it. I intended to count '1 one-thousand, 2 one-thousand' until I got back up to 50, but it happened too fast for me to do that.

Got a big surprise this morning driving my ICE van when the light in front of me turned yellow. I smashed the accelerator to the floor, and the van responded by downshifting, making a lot of noise, but not really going any faster. Between my 2016 Volt and 2015 Spark EV I've forgotten that ICE engines with automatic transmissions don't necessarily like being treated that way. (I still made the light - but it was a bit closer than I would have liked).

The biggest problem you'll have with the torque in a 2015 is not driving it like a complete idiot because it's basically a street legal electric go-cart.

I agree. I haven't driven a 2014 but have a 2015 for the last 3 months. Takeoff from a standing start is amazing. Torque steer pulls a little to the left, best be paying attention because it will put you back in the seat. Very quick, steering is spot on, handles fine for what the tires will support. 5 miles to work, 5 back. I charge it 2-3 times a week depending on how often I put my foot in it. One glaring problem and I'm in AZ, the heater is non existent for the longest time. even though it gets into the 40's, the seat heater is your only friend. Your feet and legs WILL get cold. Coming back from my brothers, about a 30 mile drive, I went over 20 miles before any heat was produced and then i was nearly home. But all electrics have that issue, even Tesla...check out those reviews in cold weather.
Overall...glad I bought it.

Great to hear the 2015 is still very fun to drive, won't be discriminating based on MY anymore. I personally can't wait, been looking for a new car and I've finally decided to make the jump to electric in the form of a Spark. You might be seeing me around here again soon. ;) Thanks!

If memory serves me correctly, the 2015 Spark EV will do 0-60 in a short 7.2 second whereas the 2014 achieves it in ~7.4 (I've ran several 7.3 second 0-60 runs in my 2015, as measured by torque pro, on flat ground. On one particular run, also on flat ground, it did manage 7.18. I haven't tested recently with my non LRR tires and a near full battery). The 2015/16 are a bit lighter due to the smaller battery, and as you correctly pointed out, they are geared differently also.

The battery capacity is really a toss up. If I were buying a Spark today, I'd probably be looking at a 2016. So long as your not commuting 62 miles round trip with no charging available at work everyday, or like driving 25,XXX+ miles each year with it, like some idiot I know, and the space works for you, you'll probably love it.

Where's MrDrMorgan?

I returned a 2014 lease and bought a 2016 the same day (2 1/2 years ago). From my not-too-precisely calibrated seat of the pants measure and memory, I'd say that the change in gearing makes up for the change in motor torque, at least at low speeds. At higher speeds (>45 or so) I think the 2014 had a bit more pull. Due to the bigger battery and different gearing, the 2014 also had better real-world highway range. I could hypermile the 2014 up to 120 miles on a charge, but with the 2016 anything over 100 is dicey. City range is pretty similar between the two. It's clear that they optimized the 2015 as an urban runabout, which is really the Spark EV's strong suit anyway.

SparkieVee said:
Where's MrDrMorgan?

I returned a 2014 lease and bought a 2016 the same day (2 1/2 years ago). From my not-too-precisely calibrated seat of the pants measure and memory, I'd say that the change in gearing makes up for the change in motor torque, at least at low speeds. At higher speeds (>45 or so) I think the 2014 had a bit more pull. Due to the bigger battery and different gearing, the 2014 also had better real-world highway range. I could hypermile the 2014 up to 120 miles on a charge, but with the 2016 anything over 100 is dicey. City range is pretty similar between the two. It's clear that they optimized the 2015 as an urban runabout, which is really the Spark EV's strong suit anyway.

I am right here … reading your post. About 95% of the driving my wife and I do is around town with a little freeway driving too. I usually drive our 2014 Spark EV and my wife drives the 2016 Spark EV. We turned in our leased 2015 Spark EV in May 2018. Having driven the 2014, 2015 and 2016 Spark EVs for a year or more, I thoroughly enjoyed driving all three cars. But, in my opinion, the 2016's overall "normal" driving performance is the best of the three with the 2014 running a very close second. Nevertheless, this is one really FUN car to drive regardless of model year.

My biggest concern with the 2015 Spark EV was with possible problems with the HV battery charging electronics and the battery itself. I experienced, as did others who posted on this forum, problems with a sharp drop in the battery capacity at about 30k miles.

Side note: Last week I had the opportunity to drive my friend's Tesla Model 3. The acceleration off the line was incredible!

I have a 2014 and 2015. No question the 2015 is quicker. I have never seen as much range as the 2014 though. Stands to reason. 2014 is a bit heavier due principally to the larger battery.

Back