Torque pro and battery capacity

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozensun

Hello

I have my spark 2015 since e February 2018.

I see my battery capacity dropping fast, i was at 15.3 when I got it, cruised a few months at 14.8 and in the past month went from 14.6 to 14.2

Sitting at 50k km eastern Canada

The range didn't changed much.

Is it a torque pro glitch or should I worry?

I know I have the warranty

frozensun said:
Hello

I have my spark 2015 since e February 2018.

I see my battery capacity dropping fast, i was at 15.3 when I got it, cruised a few months at 14.8 and in the past month went from 14.6 to 14.2

Sitting at 50k km eastern Canada

The range didn't changed much.

Is it a torque pro glitch or should I worry?

I know I have the warranty
It is not a TorquePro glitch.

How many miles (km) have you driven your Spark EV since you got it? A friend of mine had a 2015 Spark EV and at about 30k miles (50k km) I used TorquePro to measure his battery capacity. It read 14.8 kWh.

I also had a leased 2015 Spark EV and I lost 3.3 kWh in about 27k miles. That is a loss of about 1 kWh every 8,000 miles (13000 km). I did not have TorquePro at the time but I did use the data provided on the car's Energy Information screen to estimate my battery capacity. I started new at 18.8 kwh and, at 27k miles it had dropped to 15.5 kWh.

My 2014 Spark EV battery capacity has dropped 1.5 kwh in the last 6,000 miles and my 2016 Spark EV battery capacity has dropped 1.1 kWh in the last 14,000 miles. All readings were taken using TorquePro and an OBDLink MX adapter. Both cars are currently giving me a full-charge GOM reading in the low 90's.

Hey thanks for the feedback

i drove around 9k km

Does it matter when i do the reading if the battery is fully charged or not ?

What's the formula to get the battery capacity via the leaf screen pls

frozensun said:
Hey thanks for the feedback

i drove around 9k km

Does it matter when i do the reading if the battery is fully charged or not ?

What's the formula to get the battery capacity via the leaf screen pls

1. The battery capacity number TorquePro provides does not seem to care what the current SOC is.

2. The Energy Information Screen provides (a) the number of kWhs used to one decimal place - ie., 4.5. This same screen gives you % of the battery used for (1) Drive, (2) Climate and (3) Conditioning. These values are given to the nearest %. To get the "calculated" battery capacity, divide the kwh used value by the decimal sum of the values for Drive, Climate and Conditioning.. Ie., the sum of 20% for Drive, 15% for climate and 4%, expressed as a decimal value [.20 + .15 + .04] = .39. In this case, if I had 6.0 kwh used, I would divide 6.0 by .39 to get a calculated battery capacity value of 15.38 kWh.

Note: The Drive, Climate, Conditioning and kWh Used values only reset to zero when the battery is fully charged to 100%.

I hope this helps you.

I checked my battery capacity with TorquePro a few weeks ago and it came out to 12.4kWh. Yesterday, I checked it again and it rocketed up to 12.6kWh. WooHoo!

Does the leaf screen accounts for the regen?

I get constant 15.1-15.2 with the leaf screen calculation and the torque pro is at 14.2

Battery had a full100% recharge

frozensun said:
Does the leaf screen accounts for the regen?

I get constant 15.1-15.2 with the leaf screen calculation and the torque pro is at 14.2

Battery had a full100% recharge
I started out using the Energy Information data to calculate my battery capacity and I did find that the regenerated energy did get included in the numbers on the screen. I find that, over time, the TorquePro values are much more consistent but both will show the degradation trend. Don't get hung up on the values. The trend line is what you want to watch. I pay much more attention to the full-charge GOM range and whether it will meet my driving range needs or not.

Thanks

i did a test on the highway when no regen was generated and i had a 40% of the battery used and it did correspond with the torque pro value.

So what's the 65% that the wararnty covers ? (degradation wise) is it calculated at 18.4kw or 21kw, i know i'm not there yet but when should i get ready for a new free battery :p

frozensun said:
Thanks

i did a test on the highway when no regen was generated and i had a 40% of the battery used and it did correspond with the torque pro value.

So what's the 65% that the wararnty covers ? (degradation wise) is it calculated at 18.4kw or 21kw, i know i'm not there yet but when should i get ready for a new free battery :p
Here is what the limited warranty for the 2016 Spark EV states:

"Like all batteries, the amount of energy that the high voltage “propulsion” battery can store will decrease with time and miles driven. Depending on use, the battery may degrade as little as 10% to as much as 40% of capacity over the warranty period. If there are questions pertaining to battery capacity, a dealer service technician could determine if the vehicle is within parameters.

If warranty repair requires replacement, the high voltage battery may be replaced with either a new or factory refurbished high voltage battery with an energy capacity (kWh storage) level at or within approximately 10% of that of the original battery at the time of warranty repair. Your Electric Propulsion battery warranty replacement may not return your vehicle to an “as new” condition, but it will make your vehicles fully operational appropriate to its age and mileage."

Looks like I'll be getting to that zone soon. Checked TorquePro this morning and I'm at 13.9kwh. The Spark has 32k miles and I live in SoCal. :eek:

Cheezecake said:
Looks like I'll be getting to that zone soon. Checked TorquePro this morning and I'm at 13.9kwh. The Spark has 32k miles and I live in SoCal. :eek:
The big unknown being what is the Nominal usable battery capacity so we can compute the % of degradation.
From looking at a lot of different inputs, it could be as low as 18.4 kWh or as high as 20kWh.
That makes the 35% degradation threshold between 12 kWh and 13 kWh.

scrambler said:
Cheezecake said:
The big unknown being what is the Nominal usable battery capacity so we can compute the % of degradation.
From looking at a lot of different inputs, it could be as low as 18.4 kWh or as high as 20kWh.
That makes the 35% degradation threshold between 12 kWh and 13 kWh.
For the 2016 Spark EV you need to have => 40% degradation in the HV battery capacity in order for the warranty to kick in. I figure that is somewhere between 11 and 12 kWh.

My Torque Pro HV battery capacity data for the last year and a half shows the following trends:

1. 2014 Spark EV 2LT (no DCFC, 100% L1 EVSE charging at 12 amps): HV battery capacity is degrading 1.0 kWh every 4172 miles. Current value is 15.6 Kwh. At my current miles / year rate, my battery capacity will hit 12 kWh in about 3 years or 15K miles. ODO will read about 36000 miles - current ODO is 20,820 miles. (86 data points)

2. 2016 Spark EV 2LT (65% L2 EVSE and 35% DCFC): HV battery capacity is degrading 1.0 kWh every 10,705 miles. Current value is 15.2 Kwh. At my current miles / year rate, my battery capacity will hit 12 kWh in about 3 years or 35K miles. ODO will read about 60K miles - current ODO is 25,271 miles. (96 data points)

It would be interesting to know what HV battery degradation trends other of you Spark EV drivers are seeing and who are using TorquePro to measure battery capacity.

HV Battery Warranty Notes:

1. My 2014 Spark EV is driven about 5k miles per year. I purchased this car as a used vehicle and it was first registered in June of 2014. So, my 8-year warranty limit is up at the end of May 2022. It looks like I might reach 8 years before my battery capacity hits 12 kWh.

2. My 2016 Spark EV is driven about 10k miles per year. I purchased this car as a used vehicle and it was first registered in August of 2016. So, my 8-year warranty limit is up at the end of July 2024. It looks like I might reach 8 years well after my battery capacity hits 12 kWh - about 2022.

Back