2016 Chevy Spark for $7,950 or 2016 Nissan Leaf for $9,850

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahawk10

I am looking to purchase an EV. THese are the two finalists. The Spark has 30K on it, the Leaf 37K.

Both are in good shape but I am weighing the lower price of the Spark vs. the more space of the Leaf.

The Spark has a liquid-cooled battery and its range is 100mph.

The Leaf is about 85 MPH with its 24KW battery.

The only thing that worries me about the Spark is that it might be harder to support later on since it is no longer being produced while the Leaf is still going.

Let me know what you think!

A 2016 Spark EV may only have a battery capacity of ~15 kWh at 30k miles. My TorquePro battery capacity data for my 2016 Spark EV 2LT just dropped to 15.1 kWh at 26k miles and has been dropping at a rate of about 1 kWh every 10.5k miles. At my current rate of degradation, in about 3 years I may reach the mileage point at which I can get a warranty replacement. However, that may not be a new battery but will be one that has a capacity consistent with the mileage on my car at the time.

I have no idea how quickly the Leaf battery degrades but I believe you do have one option we Spark EV drivers do not. That option is you can buy a new replacement battery. Check with your local Nissan dealer and ask what it would cost to replace your HV battery with a new one once your current battery capacity gets too low to meet your driving needs.

If you lived somewhere that didn't get too hot or cold and don't mind driving a slow and efficient car I would go for the Leaf and it has more space and the quality of the sound proofing and seating are probably better. If you live somewhere hot I wouldn't go for the Leaf for the lack of battery conditioning.

I considered one before purchasing our Spark EV but we live where it can get very hot.

If you want a quick car too the Spark EV is hard to beat at that price point. Hopefully you have a chance to test drive both and you will quickly feel the difference but that may not be what you are looking for as a deciding factor.

Your title says it all. $2,000. I don't know how many U-tube videos I watched on the Nissan Leaf. All the videos had the same message, the batteries aren't all that great. It's not if you're going to loose bars but when.
You can pick up lower mileage Spark EV's at that price ($7950). Just go onto True Car or any site and they are there. Mine had 13,650 miles and I paid $8800. I absolutely love mine. It stinks that I only got to drive mine for about 1 month with the higher 82 GOM. Now, in Western Wisconsin, I am at 54 GOM.
I have owned about 30 cars in my life and I like this one the best. I went to the gas station once in the last three months ( bought gas for the snowblower). The car just hauls a$$. You can get into just about any parking spot. Soon, I will charge for free at work. Hope this helps. Randy

Love my 2015, just turned 20K miles. It has little to no heat in colder temps. Being in AZ is great in the summer as the A/C blows cold. The heater...not so much. The heated seat doesn't warm your feet or hands or anything but lower back and glutes.
Yes, VERY quick. Where do you live? It gets cold in AZ, glad it's only 4 miles to work.

I test drove both and I would not buy a Leaf. The way you sit makes it hard to see the front and it felt very sluggish. I almost bought one before I purchased my first Spark and even thought of getting one with a bad battery and paying the $4000 ish to get a new one. That is not an option know that Nissan raised the price to$13000 or so. Batterys are a problem for them and with the cost being prohibitive to replace I would not recommend one unless the newer ones have had a drastic change in chemistry which I don't think they have since the 2015 or so moderate change.

Wonder why the 2015 Chevy Spark doesn't throw out much heat. I have my 2016 set at 80 degrees and the fan speed at 1. I understand if you have the selection at defrost/ floor setting but with the front vents selection, it's nice. Randy

2015 Spark here and it gets plenty hot when cranking up the heat, but it does suck up the battery.

Back