qrper

Re: battery range and cold weather

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 am

I do have the car plugged into a level II EVSE. I've pushed the 'remote start' button on the fob, but I can't tell if it does anything.
The car seems as cold wether you just get in or use the remote start while plugged in.

Am I missing something here?

mike

SparkE

Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:47 pm

qrper wrote: I do have the car plugged into a level II EVSE. I've pushed the 'remote start' button on the fob, but I can't tell if it does anything. The car seems as cold wether you just get in or use the remote start while plugged in.

Am I missing something here?
Yes, reading the manual. From page 1-5 :

Activating Remote Start
1. Aim the RKE transmitter at the vehicle.
2. Press and release {{lock}}.
3. Immediately, press and hold {{remote start}} for at least four seconds or until the turn signal lamps flash.

After entering the vehicle during a remote start, press the O POWER button on the center stack with the brake pedal applied to operate as normal.

The time can be extended on a remote start. See “Extending Vehicle Run Time” under Remote Start on page 2-7.

There is more info on page 2-7 (section Remote Start), notably : " The climate control system will use the previous settings during a remote start " . That means, "Set the climate controls the way you want them before turning off the vehicle, because those are the settings used during Remote Start - if you haven't turned on the heater, it won't be on during a Remote Start."

NORTON

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:13 am

SparkE wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:47 pm
..... "Set the climate controls the way you want them before turning off the vehicle, because those are the settings used during Remote Start - if you haven't turned on the heater, it won't be on during a Remote Start."
I'm not sure this is accurate, even if the manual says so.

There are times when I have had the Climate Control system totally off when I shut down.
Then it got really cold overnight and I did a 'remote start' from the house while the car was 30' away in the driveway, plugged in.
When I got in the heater was on, the cabin nice and the rear window defroster was on.

To me it's the driver's seat heat that I need to remember to turn on as I get out of the car the night before.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +76 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

SparkE

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:44 pm

If I think I am going to want to heat or cool the inside of the car when I leave, I set the HVAC to what I want the car to be, TO BE SURE. That ay, the heat/cool is pulled from the wall instead of the battery (at least partially).

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”