New Style RKE Remote?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotAmps

Anyone know if it is possible to use a new RKE Remote (say for a Bolt EV) with the Spark EV? I realize the car doesn't have passive entry, but still has push button start. Therefore, would the car "learn" the new style remote?

The switchblade style key is starting to get a bit dated IMO and I love the new fob style. Plus, using the key sets the alarm off anyway. :roll:

Thanks in advance.

#FirstPost

-Andrew

GotAmps said:
Anyone know if it is possible to use a new RKE Remote (say for a Bolt EV) with the Spark EV? I realize the car doesn't have passive entry, but still has push button start. Therefore, would the car "learn" the new style remote?

The switchblade style key is starting to get a bit dated IMO and I love the new fob style. Plus, using the key sets the alarm off anyway. :roll:

The key blade is there for multiple reasons, all having to do with wireless aspect of the key.

1) in order to program a new key, it needs to be placed in "the ignition slot". So, if the blade doesn't fit properly in the "slot", no programming / learning.

2) If the battery in the fob is very weak (or dead) and wireless no longer works, you can still open the door. (duh)

3) If the battery in the fob is very weak (or dead) and wireless no longer works, you simply place the key blade into "the ignition slot", the car recognizes the fob and will start the car.

Personally, I think you are worrying about nothing. The fob isn't "cool enough" or "stylish enough" ? Really? A key fob?

The new style also has a key but its inside the fob in the case the battery dies in the fob. It is more sleek and a much better design, since we have both for different cars I agree and also wish it was possible to use the new fob on our cars. It is very annoying when the switch blade key opens in your pocket.

Unfortunately the key on the new style has is a unique groove in a very slim blade. The switch blade key on our cars is more like a normal key. I'm not sure if you could get it to learn a new remote but the key definitely would not work with the new design on our cars. It would be interesting if you could cut a normal key for backup when the fob battery dies and just use the fob, although the car does warn you when the fob batteries are low so you could just replace them when you get the warning.

From reprogramming other key fobs in fords you just need to have the correct key in the ignition and a fob close. So you could take the battery out of the original fob and put the new fob as close as you can and it would recognize the new one, but I can not confirm this would work on our cars.

Back