2051 Spark EV body paint are kind of thin.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachan0101

I use my 2015 Spark EV as a daily commute vehicle. It is 26 miles one way, with 20 miles on the interstate highway. Owning this car for almost 2 years, I found that my Spark is very easy to have chips on the front edge of the hood. Although I have been using the official touch up paint to deal with them, I do notice that the thickness of the paint on the hood is very thin. My previous daily commute vehicles were a Honda Civic and a Nissan Altima. With multiple years of the same commute route, none of them showed this much chips that needed to be patched up. I personally feel that their paint/coating is much thicker than that of my Spark. Any though?

Having come out of a crappy ultra thin paint from a 2012 VW, the 2014 Spark EV I had for 2 years had less chips so it's all relative. What you need to keep in mind is the Spark (in general) is the cheapest economy car sold by Chevy so it wouldn't surprise me that paint is also cheaper quality than say their flagship Corvette paint job.

I understand the Spark is the lowest and cheapest car in the whole US GM line up. While I really love my little electric runabout, I just can't believe that its paint job is no better than my charcoal grill from Target...

My 2015, 20000 miles, paint is great. I'm not on the freeway, dont think 1st owner was either. Have zero issues with paint.

When I got my 2015 used, it had some chipped off spots on the rear bumper. I haven't tried to correct it, I don't think it's gotten any worse, and I don't think I have any additional spots/chips.

Maybe a layer of clear coat could or protective film could get it to where you want it. Not worth it to me, but maybe it would be for you.

Well my poor midwestern '14 is an 'Outside Car'.

The only time spent indoors was when the dealership was 'pokin and hopin' trying to fix a problem where it would not move twice (for me and a third time while with the dealer) after a DCFC session. Long sad story....

Anyways, the rear wingy thingy has lost it gloss and is going downhill fast. Also the clear nick barrier on the forward lower side of the rear wheel openings is really cloudy.
However the headlights look great !

I have never given this paint any love or waxing. Shame on me.

Odd... Our 2015 has fading paint as well on the rear wing thingy...

But, still seeing ~80 miles of range daily on the GOM at 26k miles, so we got that going for us. Still staying on the L1 Home / L2 office plug nipple daily to full SOC.

Bryan in NC

Back