Oil Leak!!!!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flavioguy

Hey all.....I noticed yesterday that there was a small puddle of oil under my 2016 Spark EV with 15.5K miles. Everything is working fine but this issue just popped up. Any ideas???

I have a pic to post but don't see any way to post it here. :-(

The only oil in the car is in the drive unit. I don't know that there is a way to check besides where it is filled (no dipstick) I think it is similar to checking a rear differential but I think it is blocked by a lot of plastic shielding under the car. Are you positive it is from your car?

Kermit.....thanks for the response. I vacuumed the garage floor yesterday (I like a clean garage!) and discovered an oil drop where the car is normally parked. I cleaned it up and then checked this morning once I moved the car - even more oil. I thought the same thing.....the transmission has fluid and this must be it. I'll check for a dipstick but cars don't seem to have those anymore. Great!

This is the Bolt motor and it has two drain plugs and a fill plug. (Video for reference) https://youtu.be/APhRPSdmdmk?t=405 I don't think you're going to find a dipstick but maybe the video can help you look for the drain plugs. Maybe one came loose? You may also check the boots on your axles. If they crack or break sometimes they can throw grease out but the difference between grease and oil is rather apparent. Good luck! Take lots of photos.

My challenge is getting under the little bugger. It's low! It's coming from the back of motor area right in the center (driver to passenger side) so doubt it's the CV boots. Thanks again for the suggestion.

The motor has an oil pan that uses a gasket. You may just have to lightly snug up the bolts, if you see any seepage around it.

A set of vehicle ramps is a good investment if you have any other cars that need oil changes.
They are safer than using a jack and jack stands and it's quicker because you don't have to take the wheels off. Maybe a neighbor may have a set you could borrow?

I did some more digging and found the procedure for the 2014 motor regarding filling and checking the drive unit oil level. This may help.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10052489-3795.pdf

Back