VW State Settlement Money

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLondonBroiler

My local EV Association branch shared the North Carolina plan for using the VW diesel emission scandal state settlement money recently. If you want to and have time to look into your state's efforts, Is highly recommend it.

Generally speaking, there are 3 phases of funding with up to 15% allowed to be allocated to EVSE (slow and fast charge equipment). Although Spark owners (as well as many other EV owners) are presently limited to around 50kw fast charge speeds, YOU ARE GOING TO WANT FASTER CHARGERS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR NEXT EV. This is a very unique opportunity of "essentially free money," and you wouldn't believe how ignorant some of the people are, who are in charge of distributing it. Unless you live in Oklahoma, chances are the non Tesla fast charging situation is probably pretty sad, when referring to non-Electrify America, 150kw+ fast chargers (this is the minimum speed that I believe can help covert ICE drivers to buy and drive EVs).

Make your voice heard. Stepping down off my soap box.

ElDobro said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the money went down a black hole here, in NJ. ;)

You might be right. The infrastructure for fast charging is still really sad in South Jersey, with the exception of the immediate Philadelphia suburbs. At least EVGo and ChargePoint have submitted proposals (in 2018), but that's not to say that some of the proposed exuberant AC L2 or hydrogen refueling won't bump DCFC projects https://www.state.nj.us/dep/vw/projectproposals.html . The"official" commentary period appears to be over, but that doesn't mean you can't shoot some emails and spread some knowledge.

Back