Insurance

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZNuts

As a new EV owner, I'm getting sticker shock from my insurance co. For a 2016 Spark EV, it's higher than my 2018 Turbo Diesel Equnoix.

I search and found this post that also mentions high insurance for EV.

https://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8635&p=25113&hilit=insurance#p25113

Is this your experience as well. Since I'm also keeping my gas (diesel) car, all this are added cost so that basically wipes out my gas $ saving.

Don't get me wrong, the last week or two of driving this little sporty EV has been a blast but I'm a bit miffed at it. What's your folks experience with insuring the EV?

btw. I'm with State Farm and opted to NOT have the "Driving Safe" option that monitor driving behavior with this EV but have it on other vehicle since I know I'll probably be a bit more aggressive on this :) I do expect the premium on my gas car to go down due to lower mileage but not quite enough.

"Mama sez, you better shop around, shop, shop"

Quotes are free.

I haven't noticed high rates for EV's.

Insurance is approx $400/year each for comp/collision with $500 deductible on our 2015 Spark EVs.

Our other vehicles are around 20 years old so cannot readily compare EV vs. ICE.

Joe M in WV

I've been using travelers for the last half decade, as they were SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than everyone else i checked with (I had USAA before). They surcharged me for my Bolt (I believe due to "sportiness," but not with my Spark.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get some quotes.

Rates around the area has been rising quite a lot, I think more due to our area than some general nationwide trend.

We have state farm as well with full coverage. Our 2017 Volt insurance is lower than our 2016 Spark EVs insurance. It must have something to do with crash ratings. We were coming from 20 year old cars with just liability though so it is a bit of sticker shock.

Back