New 2016 Chevy Spark EV owner

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkyAZ

Hello all!

We just traded in our 2010 Lexus RX450h with 122,000 miles for a 2016 Chevy Spark EV 1LT w/DCFC and only 19,000 miles! We love Sparky for all our city errands, going to work, and bringing our daughter to school! We found it at a dealer 52 miles from our house and the GOM showed 77 miles fully charged. The ride home was a little stressful driving into the wind and up elevation, but I made it home with 6 miles remaining! lol This forum helped us in the decision to buy it, so thanks to everyone!

Welcome! It's always good to see another member on the forum. We also had a fairly long drive getting ours home from the dealer, 80 miles away. We stopped off for a charge while having dinner, but home was uphill and we didn't have a lot of range left. I don't remember what the number was, but I remember the display turning orange just before our arrival. The car's been working out great for us around town.

Yeah, the Spark EV is the perfect suburban car. < 60 miles daily (roundtrip) commute, shopping, soccer mom duty, and just travelling around the greater city area. A perfect 2nd vehicle for any family that doesn't have BOTH adults needing to drive over 60 miles a day (ever). Well, it works for ME, because where I live there are over 40 DCFC within 30 miles of my house and over 100 within 60 miles, so the few days when I have to drive 100 miles is no big deal.

I still haven't decided that when it comes time to replace my super-efficient, low polluting PZEV gas-mobile, if I will buy a >275 mile BEV, or a PHEV (with at least 30 miles all-electric range). The latter would mean driving electric 98% of the time and have the ease of gas for long distance (>300 mile) trips. The former would be my choice if recharging speed was readily and cheaply available at supercharger V3 speeds (>= 160 kW). That would mean adding 150 miles of range in 15 minutes or so (when battery is in the lower 25% of charge). I could deal with that. Maybe I will buy a used model Y in 3-6 years. (I am only adding about 1500-2000 miles a year on the gas car, so it will probably last another 15 years.)

Thanks for the responses! I agree with both of you about the Spark meeting the needs for anyone driving less than 50 miles in a day. The last few mornings have been below freezing and the GOM is showing high 50's to low 60's, but perfect for our less than 25 mile commute.

We too were a little worried about getting rid of a gas vehicle, but so far 100% electric life has been awesome! We also have a 9.75kW solar at home so the "fuel" cost has been $0! I think a Hyundai Kona EV, Kia Niro EV, Audi E-Tron, or Tesla Model Y (or 3 if the size works) would be great long range vehicles for any family and should work pretty much anywhere. We have taken our Model X on 3 different 1800+ mile trips in the last 6 months and it has worked fine even though it's full charge only shows 230 miles.

I really appreciate this forum compared to the Tesla ones. They always have haters, trolls, and D-bags so it's comforting hearing from cool people! lol

Congratulations on the Spark EV. It's a wonderful car for city driving. Mine's been hovering around 70 miles right now.
I hope you have good luck with yours. Randy

Congrats I love my 2016 spark EV. I live in Pittsburgh so I was a little worried about winter range but no issues. The average range in sub zero weather with heat on low and seat warmers is between 55-65miles which is perfect for me. In the spring and summers here I average 80-90mile range still.

Got mine in August of 2020, still loving it. Winter range went down to the 60s and now it's back up to the high 80s.

It's less than 20k and I notice the front tire are getting low in the thread so I will have to do something before the coming fall wet season begins. I drive pretty chill so it maybe the last owner or this car eats tires.

Congrats on your Spark purchase. I picked up my 2015 in November of 2018 and since then, I recently replaced the 6 year old battery and the 6 year old rear tires. That's all the maintenance I've put into it, so far.

Back