Elecrtrician needed in the San Mateo, CA area...

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezryder

The friend of the landlady's procrastinated for two weeks, came by and did nothing, then made a commitment for 5 days later, then basically called in sick and punted. So I'm screwed. He was going to do the work for $75/hr, and figured 4 hours, including going to get the parts needed. I just want a simple L6-30 outlet put in the garage. Service doesn't need upgrading, or anything.

If anyone knows anyone, that would be great.

Thanks!

Just saw the three reviews for the Bosch Power Xpress on Amazon - all 1 star. Not encouraging. I'm considering returning this and getting the Juice Box Classic - which shows a $250 install in the SF Bay Area... I'm in the SF Bay Area. $250 sounds like a good price. Has anyone used them for this? Also, this says its a 40 amp unit... Can I install this on a 30amp service in the garage? (The meter says 30 amp, but I don't know if that means the breaker is 30 amp or 40 amp, and I don't know if this JuiceBox being 40 amp means I need to install a 50 amp line, or something. IT's not my house, so I don't want to install anything that will cost me more money than necessary)

ezryder said:
Just saw the three reviews for the Bosch Power Xpress on Amazon - all 1 star. Not encouraging. I'm considering returning this and getting the Juice Box Classic - which shows a $250 install in the SF Bay Area... I'm in the SF Bay Area. $250 sounds like a good price. Has anyone used them for this? Also, this says its a 40 amp unit... Can I install this on a 30amp service in the garage? (The meter says 30 amp, but I don't know if that means the breaker is 30 amp or 40 amp, and I don't know if this JuiceBox being 40 amp means I need to install a 50 amp line, or something. IT's not my house, so I don't want to install anything that will cost me more money than necessary)

Seems like the reviews are mostly positive on Amazon. Sure there are a few bad one, but there are always a few. I would be highly skeptical if there were NO negative review.

The GE Durastation looks pretty decent for $450. No where near stylish though.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charger-Indoor-Outdoor-Level-2-DuraStation-Wall-Mount-with-18-ft-Cord-EVDSWGH-CP01/205808537

I returned the Bosch Power Xpress because it wasn't really "portable", and got the Panasonic unit from http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=29

This is nice and light and portable and works great, so far. I love it! I also bought a few adapters to connect to old and new dryer outlets and RV Park outlets.

BTW: I got an electrician to install the plug for me - $575. Included cutting a 4" diameter hole in the garage wall and putting in a sleeve and trim to make it look nice, and even a door cover to keep the critters out. Nice setup, and fully portable unit, so not only when I hit the road, but when I move out, I leave nothing but a nice outlet for the next person to use.

Good for you. I think it's a mistake even for people that own a home to hardwire their EVSEs into the house. If the unit dies replacing it becomes as simple as a replacing any appliance. Lockable outlet covers are even available if you have kids. Outlets are just the way to go all around.

I hope Tesla isn't the only one with a nice portable 9.6kW EVSE by the time 200-mile EVs become common. I've always liked the "anywhere with an outlet" philosophy over permanent EVSE stations.

Back