Comfort tires?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sv650john

I see quite a few threads about performance tires on the Spark EV, but I'm going in a different direction here.

I'm thinking about comfort tires. I've had the Spark for a couple weeks now and it feels like the stock tires belong on fred flintstone's car.

Poor road quality here in San Diego doesn't help, potholes everywhere. My wife even asked if the car was safe because of all the shaking/jumping over ruts on the freeway.

I'm thinking of going for a set of tires that are more comfortable without sacrificing too much range. Has anyone gone this route and what tires did you use?

Dont waste your money. Due to the short wheelbase of the car, you wont fine much relief unless you downsize the rims to 14 inches or 13 if you can find wheels to clear the hub assembly and the breaks.

I thought as much. The wheelbase and the low profile tires are great for smooth roads, not so good for crappy city streets.
The mayor in San Diego seems more interested in building a new billion-dollar football stadium for the Chargers (who will probably end up leaving anyway) instead of fixing our streets, or helping the homeless who hang out everywhere lol.

From my research - no comfort tires available in the Spark EV sizes. Yokohamas, Kumhos, Pirellis available but they're all labeled as "High Performance" and Ultra High Performance". Was really hoping I could find some Michelin Primacy (which I think are LRR as well) or a similar touring tire, but nothing available.

Anything that is more "comfortable" will only achieve it through increased compliance, which is exactly the opposite of what you want for low rolling resistance. You can lower the tire pressure on your car to get an idea of how this improves the ride quality, but reduces your efficiency. Unfortunately, the suspension is the proper fix if you want improved ride quality, and there's no simple way to fix that without a pile of cash.

Bryce

Back