Heater not working...

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSchmoe

Can't get the heater to work. Here's what I've tried:

-hottest temp
-warmer temp, but lower than hottest.
-remote activation of the climate control
-turning it on after having driven quite a distance
-fan high and fan low
-pulled the (-) standard battery cable and let the car sit for a while to "reset" the car.
-tried both "Auto" and just "Temp"

When I turn the heater on climate energy usage never gets past something like 70%. I hear clicks, fans and bubbles in the coolant system gurgling around but I never get any heat. Actually, I might even be getting COOLED air. And ideas?

JoeSchmoe said:

-hottest temp
-fan high and fan low
-pulled the (-) standard battery cable and let the car sit for a while to "reset" the car.

When I turn the heater on climate energy usage never gets past something like 70%. I hear clicks, fans and bubbles in the coolant system gurgling around but I never get any heat. Actually, I might even be getting COOLED air. And ideas?

Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.

I've noticed an odd odor from my unit...it's almost like vinegar...especially when the A/C starts up initially or if I've run A/C prior, turn it off...then come back later and just turn the fan on...has a strong vinegar like smell.

JoeSchmoe said:

-hottest temp
-fan high and fan low

hmm, if you're seeing 70% then somethings doing something! Fan only is like 6-10%. I've seen between 45-60% for heater usage lately, but it has not been very cold (50's).

ExtensionCord said:
hmm, if you're seeing 70% then somethings doing something! Fan only is like 6-10%. I've seen between 45-60% for heater usage lately, but it has not been very cold (50's).
Given the complete lack of heat I now have a feeling that is an "assumed" number based on the climate settings....not an actual measured number. As for smells, mine has frequently smelled of toasty hot electronics. It comes and goes, not correlated with heater usage though. I just figured it's an electric car, therefore it should smell electric-y sometimes. That, and it's still pretty new.

I'm pretty sure the power percent in the climate is just an estimate. The KW consumed in the gauge should reflect what is being drawn from the battery.

Turn on the rear defrost to achieve 100% draw.

Last summer I had trouble with my AC not cooling to the temperature I wanted. It was just taking an edge off the heat. I took the Spark in to a Chevy dealer. They updated the software for free, and I have had no issues since. It sounds like you might have something similar happening with your heater.

Don't know about any mystery smells. I spilled a full cafe mocha in my car once. That sour milk smell was NO mystery. :D

Hi
Were you able to fix your issue ? I do have exactly the same one on my 2016 Spark EV
It was sent back to a Chevy dealer who told the Auxiliary Heater was dead
I replaced it ... still no heat ...
Any idea if there is a reset to perform to have the car knowing the Heater is not defective anymore ??
It looks like I replaced something that was not really dead ...
Thanks eveyone for your help !!!

Back