DFCS modification to prevent errors

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xylhim

I was doing my usual scanning on plugshare for DC fast charge installations, and noticed an interesting comment on one of the EVgo charging sites:

Stopped to try to get a fast charge on my spark ev. Unfortunately the fast change didn't work I called and they couldn't get it to work for me. I am a GM employee and for those who have a spark and are having unsuccessful fast charges, there is an updated bulletin that makes a slight modification to the receptacle on the vehicle to fix this issue. The associate was nice enough to get me a free charge on the 240.

Has anyone checked with their dealer to find out if you can get the receptacle changed so that there aren't as many errors using the DCFS system?

My dealer is going to do it today (since they have the car for a few other things). I plan on taking some long trips to VA and eventually in areas around MD, so I would like to reduce any problems like this to a minimum. I really appreciate you all starting this thread.

mczajka said:
My dealer is going to do it today (since they have the car for a few other things). I plan on taking some long trips to VA and eventually in areas around MD, so I would like to reduce any problems like this to a minimum. I really appreciate you all starting this thread.

Mark,
Did your dealer do this mod?

I haven't yet tried the DCFC charging option on my 2015 Spark EV but, after reading on PlugShare about owners having so many problems with the DC chargers for the Spark EV, I decided to be proactive and went to the link posted by Norton above and downloaded the socket modification instructions with photos. After some careful measuring and taping, I took my trusty Drumel Tool and carefully trimmed the two guides until they looked like the photo.

The comments on PlugShare also suggest the DCFC chargers have other problems in addition to the plug-socket connection problem. Now that I have modified the socket on my car, I plan to make my first tests next week at 4-5 different DCFC locations within 60 miles of where I live.

8 June: I have now charged twice on the NRG eVgo DCFC at the West Valley Mall in Tracy, CA and once on the NRG eVgo DCFC at the Livermore Premium Outlets in Livermore, CA. I had no problems at either location so I am thinking the modification worked. An NRG eVgo charger in Sacramento, CA is next.

11 June: I drove 60 miles to the DCFC charger at SMUD HQ in Sacramento. No problems connecting and "Sparkie" got a 100% fill in 25 minutes. I only saw one charging station with one SAE Combo CCS connector and one CHAdeMO connector. The cables are short so you need to position your vehicle so the charging port is nearest the charger. This is a GreenLots location and not NRG eVgo. There is also a credit card reader if you do not have a GreenLots RFID FOB.

I have done a lot of DCFC with my Sparkler, with a few different brands of chargers, and those ribs almost look brand new, like they don't get in the way at all.

There was a few times when a new NRG station would not work, and I was told they were having to replace the cable and connector to fix them. So perhaps the charge cable connectors were out of spec and filing the plastic off lets you get around that, but it seems that everywhere I DC charge works fine now without any mods to my car.

Thanks Sparkler-
Are you in San Jose, CA?

I live in Manteca, CA and DCFC charging stations are few and far between here. My daughter lives in Roseville which is about 75 miles from my home. Between my home and my daughter's home there are only 2 compatible DCFC chargers. I filed down the little ribs to reduce my chances of having a problem charging my car if I drive to her home and back. The closest DCFC charging station to me is in Tracy which is about 18 miles from my home. That will be my first DCFC test location as soon as I get my RFID card from NRG.

I have another 65 mile one-way route I want to try and that is from home to Oakland and back. I have identified about 4 more potential DCFC chargers along the route.

NORTON said:
Here is a link to the mod. It looks easy. You could do it yourself if you follow the instructions.
http://vitalysmobileautodiagnostics...m-dc-fast-charge-2014-2015-chevrolet-spark-ev

I heard a rumor that new cars (2015+) should have the socket correct from the factory, but I haven't been able to compare my 2014 to my friend's 2015 cars to confirm this, nor did I get a specific time the connector changed (build dates, VIN, etc.). Of course, any of us can bring the car into the dealer to get it checked/modified for free to prevent charging problems.

Bryce

Bryce -

It is possible my 2015 Spark EV may have not needed the socket modification to function correctly at NRG eVgo charge stations. The modification was simple for me to do and, by doing it, hopefully I eliminated the possibility of having a socket / plug charging issue at a location that could have prevented me from getting home. So far, I have not had any problems.

I plan to perform my next charging test drive by driving to an NRG eVgo charge station in Sacramento 60 miles away. If the Sacramento station were to be out of order, I would have to continue on to Citrus Heights to a second station which is about 15 - 20 miles from the Sacramento station. Getting home from Citrus Heights would probably push the limits of a full charge.

Please let me know if you find out anything about the 2015 models not needing the modification.

I sure would like to see more NRG eVgo DCFC charging stations along HWY 99 in the cities of Elk Grove, Stockton, Manteca and Modesto.

The charge port on my 2015 EV has the sharp not rounded edge. Possible it was a change in late production.

sTeeve, yes, I had the mod done. First station in our area going live in the next few days. Will report back. It's a ChargePoint branded Veefil DCFC unit. I confirmed with Tritium in Australia that this is compatible with the Spark EV.

https://www.chargepoint.com/express
http://www.chargepoint.com/press-releases/2015/0325
http://tritium.com.au/products/veefil/

chargepoint-veefil-combination-dc-fast-charging-station-for-electric-cars-chademo-and-ccs_100505423_l.jpg

mczajka said:
sTeeve, yes, I had the mod done. First station in our area going live in the next few days. Will report back. It's a ChargePoint branded Veefil DCFC unit. I confirmed with Tritium in Australia that this is compatible with the Spark EV.

https://www.chargepoint.com/express
http://www.chargepoint.com/press-releases/2015/0325
http://tritium.com.au/products/veefil/

chargepoint-veefil-combination-dc-fast-charging-station-for-electric-cars-chademo-and-ccs_100505423_l.jpg

Is there a Service Bulletin associated with this mod? Something I can take to my dealer rather than a printout of some guy's blog post?

Is there anyone who meets ALL these criteria:

1) Had problems (preferably frequent and persistent) getting DCFC to work, especially with nrg/evgo charging stations

2) Did the modification

3) Now has no or far fewer problems, especially at the very stations that were troublesome before the modification.

To follow up, I compared my 2014 Spark EV (delivered January 2014) to a friend's 2015 Spark EV (delivered May 2015), both with the fast charge option (RPO: CBT). As far as I can tell, our charge ports are identical.

18751969451_c17e8f1200_b.jpg

Image from the "tutorial" (which looks like it was possibly pulled from a GM Service Bulletin, but not yet confirmed):

4037016.gif

Bryce

Bryce,

It looks like the two rounded tips on your 2014 socket have seen some small contact wear. This is the area that is being removed for those who experience connection problems. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I made the modification myself to preclude having potential DCFC charging problems far from home that would leave me stranded. I have now charged at three different stations - 2 NRG eVgo and one Greenlots - without any problems. One of the stations had been reported earlier as giving some Spark EV owners charging fits.

Dennis

MrDRMorgan said:
It looks like the two rounded tips on your 2014 socket have seen some small contact wear.

Yes, it's obvious there's been some contact. My car was literally one of the very first CCS cars to be delivered in the world (first one in OR), and I identified the inconsistent charge issue with the Efacec chargers here in Portland along with another Spark EV that is owned by our local power company, PGE. Efacec has since updated the connectors on their machines (at least, in Oregon, I can't confirm the others) and I haven't had an issue since. Throughout the whole ordeal, nobody at GM ever contacted me or my PGE contact to recommend this modification. However, it seems that this minor charge port modification is a safe bet to ensure machines that haven't been updated won't cause issues in the future.

It is weird that we can't confirm if this is a GM service bulletin, and that it doesn't identify which units will require the modification (based on date of manufacture or VIN). Of course, the official recommendation is to bring the car to the dealer to have the modification made if necessary. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the next shipment of 2015 Spark EVs that hit the dealer to see if their charge ports are unique. Meanwhile, if somebody finds their 2015+ charge port is unique and doesn't require the modification, it'd be great to see what it looks like from the factory.

Bryce

Wow, I can't believe this! Like a wise old electrical engineer once told this subordinate mechanical engineer, "all electrical problems are really mechanical problems"

Here's a picture of a eVgo plug that worked for me. Unfortunately I never took one of one that didn't. This one looks like it wouldn't interfere.
gObZtsr.jpg

Here's some pictures of a level 2 plug that interferes a little, but hasn't caused problems.
BTwxmbQ.jpg

The width between the stiffeners on the Spark is .429 inch.
ibQiB8L.jpg

The smash on my Spark from the above and others at ~1000 miles. Note, although minor, this is by far the worst damage on the whole receptacle.
rdSxcNi.jpg

Back