service battery charging system

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just scanning the service report,
1) Codes reported by car.
2) Some work done? But it is cool the Tech admits he has not had the training or taken the time to call for support !!
3)R/R=Remove and Reinstall. Let's hope he actually laid hands on each fuse and reseated it. He says he tested resistance on two wires.

The Tech's thoughts on the cause of failure or what fixed it?
CAUSE: .
5430922 CONNECTOR RECONNECTION

In aviation this would be written up as: Reseated LRU. System ground tests good. (Line Replaceable Unit)

In their defense, You can't fix it if it isn't broke.
It sounds like they fiddled with all (?) the 14 V bus fuses and a few connections, then it started working.

Well, I got the 12 volt warning light Sat. morning with the service battery warning again, but the light went out very fast, just sitting in the driveway. I did not monitor the voltage levels this time.

I did a remote start on Sunday to cool the car down, so I didn't see any messages.

Will let the car sit all day today and see what happens when I get home. I will take video this time of the startup.

I've had no other problems with the car; it drives great, it's very fun, and I've put over 300 miles on it. Hate to turn it back over if I have to.

Posted in another thread this msg: Seems that each spark who died on the hwy has very low mileage, lower than 1000. I suspect that after 1000k or so, you are good to go.

Also, another one was a lemon after so few miles, probably same issue.

I also feel like most of the issues are tied with the 2015 Spark with the new battery.....can anyone say otherwise?

My error message and battery light are strictly related to the 12 volt battery/charging system. So I can't say for sure. So far my traction battery (large battery) has performed fine.

Here's a video of the startup from last night:

https://goo.gl/photos/KropGw1KBZq9VwWR8

I traced the error message to this document, page 17:

http://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/gmfleet/global/master/nscwebsite/en/Home/Shared_Resources/PDFs/gmc1-fco-12-07183-548-tech-tip-digital.pdf

Update:

Well, a co-worker gave me a Volt meter to take home and I read the 12 volt battery directly. It's reading 12.62, and the car has been sitting for about 3 days.

This is normal.

What is odd to me is that when I power the car up and use an accessory volt meter, it reads 11.93.

The dealer just called me and said there are 9 other cars in the country with the same issue and the GM engineering team is working on it and it will most likely be some type of software update, but don't hold me to that.

I guess mine was one of the 9 with the problem. After about 2 months I just completed the buy back process today. GM claimed that the issue was a bad charging module and sent the wrong one 3 separate times that I know of. Last I heard GM did not have the correct part in stock and had no eta of when one would be available. I hope you have better luck than I did.

mczajka said:
Update:

Well, a co-worker gave me a Volt meter to take home and I read the 12 volt battery directly. It's reading 12.62, and the car has been sitting for about 3 days.

This is normal.

What is odd to me is that when I power the car up and use an accessory volt meter, it reads 11.93.

The dealer just called me and said there are 9 other cars in the country with the same issue and the GM engineering team is working on it and it will most likely be some type of software update, but don't hold me to that.

12.62 is normal for a charged 12 volt battery. If you are only seeing 11.9 volts across the battery terminals with the car running, then the battery is being discharged. You should be seeing around 14 volts (at least, that's true of an ICE).

nikwax said:
mczajka said:
Update:

This is normal.

12.62 is normal for a charged 12 volt battery. If you are only seeing 11.9 volts across the battery terminals with the car running, then the battery is being discharged. You should be seeing around 14 volts (at least, that's true of an ICE).
Correct. But you probably won't see 14 often, if at all, because the battery shouldn't need charging. It is more of a buffer in this case because it has no engine to start. In this case it just starts the computer and engages the contactor to deliver 360v which will then be used to supply 12v.

I had the amber auto with an exclamation point through it from day 1. 3 days in a service department for a software update. Everything fine since then.

Nikwax, I did not take a reading from the battery terminals while running - this was from inside the car using the accessory port (lighter outlet). I should also do what you suggest.

bmemmott, so, was your car inoperable or left you with a dead 12 volt battery? My car has been running flawlessly except for this issue, which has not stranded me anywhere because in actuality, the battery has not been being drawn down while sitting.

brunoylupe, so your issue was different than mine. Mine is the 12 volt battery light with the service battery charging system warning, only coming on when the car sits overnight.

mczajka said:
Nikwax, I did not take a reading from the battery terminals while running - this was from inside the car using the accessory port (lighter outlet). I should also do what you suggest.

bmemmott, so, was your car inoperable or left you with a dead 12 volt battery? My car has been running flawlessly except for this issue, which has not stranded me anywhere because in actuality, the battery has not been being drawn down while sitting.

The car never left me stranded. The battery light would remain on for about 30 sec after I turned the car on and started driving. I never checked the voltage.

bmemmott, yes that's the same issue I'm having. Car is running fine though. Dealer is telling me they need to update/create software to fix this.

I'm leasing so as long as the car is running and doesn't leave me hanging, I can be a little more patient, I guess. As an owner, I could see the concern. It's also a second car. If this was my only car, would be more of a concern too.

sprockkets said:
nikwax said:
mczajka said:
Update:

This is normal.

Correct. But you probably won't see 14 often, if at all, because the battery shouldn't need charging. It is more of a buffer in this case because it has no engine to start. In this case it just starts the computer and engages the contactor to deliver 360v which will then be used to supply 12v.

Thanks, I meant to ask what the service battery is for. But I would think that it would always have 14 volts across the terminals when the system is on, assuming that the voltage to the accessories is in the 14 volt range. Again, this is ICE thinking on my part.

Taking the car in again to see if they can fix the problem. It wasn't fixed the first time, but the car has been functioning flawlessly since I got it. Only issues are these messages coming up (12 volt warning light and service battery charging system; both message go off within the first 5 min. of driving).

I have about 1100 miles on the car. Took a trip from So. MD to Shepherdstown, WV area this weekend for the Firecracker Run. http://www.firecrackerrun.org

Picked up the car Saturday. Sunday morning the message was back. They had the car for about 10 days, and the last thing they did was check all the "grounds." They've been working with Spark EV engineers.

Next thing they are going to do is replace a module.

I keep posting this info. because I'm hoping someone else with the problem pops up. One other guy had the problem, but he did a buyback, and I haven't seen or heard from him since. I tried to message him through this website. I'm leasing the Spark EV and have another car, so I'm being overly patient. Car has over 1200 miles on it now.

I want to wrap it with some graphics, but I'm waiting until this problem is fixed.

This is the part they are going to replace when they have the time. I actually drove the car up to the dealer Saturday (with an appointment), only to be turned away because they had 2 other Volt projects to work on this week with only 2 mechanics that work on Volts and Spark EVs. Great service! I live 40 miles away too. I've never seen such a disconnect between a scheduling department and CSRs. I offered to leave it over a week, but I got the impression that GM wouldn't cover the rental for dealer problems/delays.

600_440500018.jpeg

600_440500021.jpeg

highres_440500268.jpeg

After all of this, a Model 3 is not looking like a bad thing for the next car, no matter how long I have to wait. Or, perhaps a dealer with more Volt volume and mechanics. Normally I would think 2 is pretty good. I suspect other dealers only have 1 expert.

mczajka said:
After all of this, a Model 3 is not looking like a bad thing for the next car, no matter how long I have to wait.

So you want to get another bleeding edge vehicle? ;)

I imagine the Model 3 will have a lot of teething issues. Maybe you want a Model 3 about the third year of production.

nikwax said:
mczajka said:
After all of this, a Model 3 is not looking like a bad thing for the next car, no matter how long I have to wait.

So you want to get another bleeding edge vehicle? ;)

I imagine the Model 3 will have a lot of teething issues. Maybe you want a Model 3 about the third year of production.
Yep, judging by Tesla's track record.

Heck, the 1st Model S was delivered June 2012 (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1076737_first-2012-tesla-model-s-delivered-to-earliest-depositor-steve-jurvetson) and even now, there are STILL reports of people going thru multiple drive units, mostly due to noise. And, there numerous drive unit failures on the D (AWD) models, which only recently came out.

And, for one reason or another, some folks have gotten their battery packs swapped out at least once.

Back