2016 Chevrolet Spark - Official

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fengshui

My memory is that there probably will be a 2016 Spark EV, but it may be made on the 2015 chassis. Do we have any reports of Chevy's plans to EV-convert this new Spark?

alfred1976 said:
2016 Chevrolet Spark - Official

From the press release:
- Redesigned, more refined global minicar offers greater efficiency, safety and connectivity

- New 1.4L engine offers 16 percent more horsepower than current model

- New available active safety features include Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning and Side Blind Spot Alert

- On sale in the fourth quarter of 2015

8 pictures and full press release

Got invited to one of those secret manufacturer review group sessions. This was one of the cars. They had a "GTI" version that looked OK but the current Spark is so much nicer and edgier.

I was looking around for info on the 2016 Spark EV, and I found this:
http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/spark-ev/2016.html

Looks like we have confirmation that it will be available next year, which is good news.

fengshui said:

Looks like we have confirmation that it will be available next year, which is good news.

That is good news (!), but it kind of bugs me that in some press materials (like here) they describe the battery as 19 kWh, but it turns out (when you apply for MD's rebate) it's really 18.4 kWh.

(Perhaps they've changed the battery for 2016, but I am not going to assume that is so because I've seen plenty of auto trade press articles referring to the 2015 version as a 19 kWh battery).

Looks the same to me. I figured they may add CarPlay and Android Auto, but it appears the Spark EV isn't getting the same love as the rest of the lineup. I'm not surprised really.

nozferatu said:
Got invited to one of those secret manufacturer review group sessions. This was one of the cars. They had a "GTI" version that looked OK but the current Spark is so much nicer and edgier.

I agree. The current Spark and Spark EV have those huge diagonal headlights, a dramatic and eye catching feature that helps distract attention away from the boxy shape and small size. The upcoming Spark is a step backward, more boring.

fengshui said:

The biggest thing to note is that the 2016 Spark EV has the 2014 - 2015 body style, and NOT the changed body style of the 2016 gas model shown above.

It's curious that they would change the body for one, but keep the old for the EV version.

1433869625429-M.jpg

SteveC5088 said:
It's curious that they would change the body for one, but keep the old for the EV version.
Not in my mind. The Spark EV is quite a bit different than the ICE version and it's very low volume. It's not worth the development expense. They're deep in the development of the Bolt, which would overlap with an updated Spark EV. The 2014-15 Spark EV will coast into 2016, until the 2017 Bolt is available, and then it will be no more.

Zoomit said:
SteveC5088 said:
Not in my mind. The Spark EV is quite a bit different than the ICE version and it's very low volume. It's not worth the development expense. They're deep in the development of the Bolt, which would overlap with an updated Spark EV. The 2014-15 Spark EV will coast into 2016, until the 2017 Bolt is available, and then it will be no more.

You got it! Historically Toyota did something similar with both incarnations of their Rav4 EV. It ended up on the prior platform as there was not enough volume (and/or manufacturer's enthusiasm) to warrant the effort and expense of changing it to the new platform.

When the Bolt comes the Spark EV goes. The King is dead, long live the King.

emv said:
When the Bolt comes the Spark EV goes. The King is dead, long live the King.
What are the chances our cars will gain value as collectables? ;) I already have a "collectable" color (Titanium) since it was only available for 2014 models.

I am seeing 2014 Spark EV 2LT models with less than 2000 miles on the used car market for $14995. Could it be because they do not have DCFC charger capability? Ouch!!

Added note: In August I picked up a 2014 Spark EV 2LT - factory new condition, no DCFC and only 1500 miles on the car - for $13,995 plus fees, taxes, license, etc.

MrDRMorgan said:
I am seeing 2014 Spark EV 2LT models with less than 2000 miles on the used car market for $14995. Could it be because they do not have DCFC charger capability? Ouch!!

$15,000 is not that cheap, considering a new one could be had ( A few months ago ) for less than $25,000 - $10,000 in rebates.

I think that the Spark EV won't change it's body at all in the next few years and will be discontinued with the Bolt. It might update the battery and motor and tech, but I'm betting it'll still look the same on the outside until 2017/18 when they'll stop making them and only focus on the bolt.

But the Bolt is aimed at the same market and the current gen Spark chassis will be an orphan. GM doesn't want a Spark EV around to steal from Bolt sales or to have a dedicated production line for ~1500 more cars.

Affordable EVs? They don't really exist!

Why doesn't GM sell the Spark EV beyond CA, OR, or MD? I'm guessing that they want to minimize their losses. They probably expect to lose money on each one and sell them for less than the development and manufacturing costs.

The Spark EV is a cheap way for GM to get ZEV credits and get production and market experience for a broad-release BEV.

I'm also guessing that the factory in Korea is busy with changing over tooling to the 2016 Spark ICE, plus they're involved with building the 50+ Bolt test mules that GM is playing with now. So capacity may have something to do with the limited EV availability. I'm hoping that GM and the battery suppliers are learning how to get costs down and that they will be making money on EVs soon.

The next few years will certainly be an excited time! I'm looking forward to watching how the evolved EVs compete against one another. Particularly the 200-mi BEVs variants: Bolt, Leaf & Model 3. Everything done so far is just a lead in to this competition.

As an early lessor of a Spark EV, I was invited to a Chevy "VIP" event at the LA auto show Saturday morning. I spoke with a Chevy product rep who told me that he believed the Spark EV would return on the new body style for 2017.

I do take this with a grain of salt, because I wasn't talking to Mark Reuss and he said something like his impression from the meetings he's been in is that it will happen rather than a definite statement, but it does seem possible that Chevy might go with a two-EV strategy, with a cheaper Spark for those who don't need the longer range and a more expensive Bolt for those who do. I'd be happy to have the option.

Back