Default setting for portable charge cable

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kore971

Hi, i recently purchased a Spark EV in electric blue, 2LT with the DC quick charge option. It's been great so far, is there anyway to change the default amp setting for immediate charging? I haven't installed a 240v EVSE in my garage yet, so i have been using the portable cable and everytime i plug in at night it is set to 8 amps, so i manually change it to 12 before i leave it. Is there anyway to change the default setting to 12 amps?

I know it's not what you want to her but at least for me the answer is no. I tried multiple times under different circumstances, but to change it permanently I was unable to do.
Should be another reason for you to install the 240V asap :)

They said it couldn't be done, and they were right! Going 220 is the only "solution".

This, along with the radio that can't be turned off without disabling the whole center display, is one of the few STUPID things the general did on an otherwise great car.

That's unfortunate, oh well, hopefully its something that maybe can be addressed through software in the future.

From what I understand, the defaulting to 8 amp behavior is a carryover from the Volt. I hear the early Volts came w/an L1 EVSE that had a button or switch to switch between 8 amps and 12 amps. But that was removed and they changed to the behavior that you describe.

Perhaps GM is concerned that it's too easy for people to accidentally plug into an outlet that's a possible fire hazard (e.g. loose or worn, is connected to unsafe wiring or panel) or might trip a breaker due to other stuff on that circuit.

cwerdna said:
Perhaps GM is concerned that it's too easy for people to accidentally plug into an outlet that's a possible fire hazard (e.g. loose or worn, is connected to unsafe wiring or panel) or might trip a breaker due to other stuff on that circuit.

Even at 8 amps, with a poor connection / high resistance, enough heat can be generated to eventually make a fire.

No other manufacturer does this to my knowledge (maybe Mitsubishi). I suspect it is the legal department's mandate to mitigate a court settlement for the inevitable... a house or garage will burn down, and they can say that they "did something".

All the top selling EV's in the USA (LEAF, Tesla Model S) default to 12 amps with a 120 volt NEMA 5-15 plug. Tesla offers a 16 amp plug as well for 120 volts (NEMA 5-20), and while the earlier cars would only pull a max of 20 amps at 120 volts, the latest firmware allows the full 40 amps at 120 volts. Try finding a plug for that!!!

We got a SparkEV about 2 months ago, we love it but this has been our main annoyance. I also poked around every related setting I could find, trying to change the default.
Any updates, as this thread is from a year ago?

PBerolz said:
We got a SparkEV about 2 months ago, we love it but this has been our main annoyance. I also poked around every related setting I could find, trying to change the default.
Any updates, as this thread is from a year ago?
Nope.

If you need 12A (and you are absolutely sure the outlet is safe at that current) you have to select it before charging. Go with a 240V EVSE if 8 amps is not fast enough...

Kore971 said:
.... every time i plug in at night it is set to 8 amps, so i manually change it to 12 before i leave it....
Yep, get used to the finger tap dance at every shut down when you will be plugging in.

Life will be good when you get an L2.
I'd go for one with a connector so that it is potentially portable. With adapter cables you could use it most 240V outlets.

Has anyone contacted White Automotive? They apparently do custom programming on Spark EV as well as other GM cars. With my 40 mile one-way commute, I need to charge at both ends many days. I have my 120V charger hooked up at work on a 20A circuit (boss is not going to go for a 240V circuit) and would really like to avoid the waste of time to reset the charge rate every day.
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=57

Well, I just went ahead and added a 240v level 2 charger in my garage at home. No more switching! The wife is happy for sure and it is really nice charging so quickly compared to 110v. My 2015 Spark charges from 7 miles to 95 miles in 6 hours now.

Back