Anyone else impressed by the handling?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm still learning the car, so am approaching corners with caution albeit quite aggressively for an econobox... I still haven't hit the limit of the tires and am pretty shocked at how well this thing handles. Must be the low CoG and good weight distribution!! :)

I think once the software hacks for more aggressive power delivery hit the scene this little golf cart will give some sports cars a run for their money xD

Actually I find the handling a little too tight. Any distracted move, like messing with the radio will affect my driving and annoys my passengers. I actually have my passengers run stuff for me so I can keep my hand steady and not weave or drift.

I wish they kept it a little looser than it is. It also gives driving at freeway speed a golf-carty feel.

I am. I love all the torque on this little front wheel drive car. I'm thinking about switching to some different tires, but wondering what it'll do to the range.

It's not bad... :) I'm used to a wild street/track Mini Cooper with an aggressive track suspension, so my baseline is probably a bit different than other folks here. The steering wheel ratio is quick like a Mini and I really like it, but others may find it too twitchy. Unfortunately it's completely overboosted and transmits no road feel to the driver. Chevy should really consider adding a more weighted feel; ability to steer with only your pinky is unnecessary.

For my test drive on a Saturday, a nearby office park was deserted and devoid of security, so I turned it into an impromptu autocross track. The Spark EV has a tendency to plow initially with a bit of rear rotation when pushed further. I didn't have the option to see if it could perform a neutral drift without putting the salesperson into full brown trousers mode. :|

I'll look forward to hearing what others discover with a tire change... :cool:

lalacurf121 said:
I've been noticing anecdotaly from charging it at various different places.
\
Say What???
Are you saying you're getting better electrons at some charge sites? And you get better range? Kind of like the claims of gas burners saying "I get better gas mileage with Brand X gas"?

Back to the thread topic: I'm running Kumho Ecsta 4X II that I got from tirerack during a $100 rebate offer.
They are great! I don't have hard numbers but they squeal less at the limit and can be pumped up to 51 psi which may make for less rolling resistance than the stock tires at stock psi.

I find it really interesting in regards to the range of responses of the Spark EV's handling.

I frankly find it awful and borderline dangerous. Not because the chassis is bad...but the shocks are springs setup is terrible for performance handling.

Granted, it's not a light car for the size and I think the suspension setup has been bent more towards comfort...but way this car handles when loaded in a corner or a sudden change is required is truly dangerous. The rebound is very pronounced and sets the car into a hazardous undulating mode.

I had to make a few sudden lane changes on the freeway in the past...and let me tell you it wasn't pretty. I've had cars such as a GTI and Fiat 500 Sport so I am accustomed to cars that handle fairly well.

Also, the steering on this car is too light for my tastes. A nicer, heavier feel would have been great.

Were I to keep this car and not have leased it, the first things I'd have done was to change the shocks and springs and wheels. I know...there are limitations to that apparently but this car also needs bigger wheels.

I always wish mine handled better, but I am highly biased, since I compete with it:

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3656

I can tell you that with a lowered ride height, stiffer springs, and stickier tires, it's drastically improved compared to stock regarding performance. Better tires are the biggest improvement, of course, but I actually run the stock tires when I'm not racing because they're so darn efficient and also pretty quiet.

Bryce

Nashco said:
I always wish mine handled better, but I am highly biased, since I compete with it:

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3656

I can tell you that with a lowered ride height, stiffer springs, and stickier tires, it's drastically improved compared to stock regarding performance. Better tires are the biggest improvement, of course, but I actually run the stock tires when I'm not racing because they're so darn efficient and also pretty quiet.

Bryce

Yes, but did you end up changing the rear suspension? Updates?

sTeeve said:
Yes, but did you end up changing the rear suspension? Updates?

I've changed lots of stuff, but definitely am behind on updates. I'm getting pretty bad about documentation lately, thanks for the reminder that I should spend a "shop day" doing some documentation updates!

Bryce

nozferatu said:
I find it really interesting in regards to the range of responses of the Spark EV's handling.

I frankly find it awful and borderline dangerous. Not because the chassis is bad...but the shocks are springs setup is terrible for performance handling.

Granted, it's not a light car for the size and I think the suspension setup has been bent more towards comfort...but way this car handles when loaded in a corner or a sudden change is required is truly dangerous. The rebound is very pronounced and sets the car into a hazardous undulating mode.

I had to make a few sudden lane changes on the freeway in the past...and let me tell you it wasn't pretty. I've had cars such as a GTI and Fiat 500 Sport so I am accustomed to cars that handle fairly well.

Also, the steering on this car is too light for my tastes. A nicer, heavier feel would have been great.

Were I to keep this car and not have leased it, the first things I'd have done was to change the shocks and springs and wheels. I know...there are limitations to that apparently but this car also needs bigger wheels.

I am also surprised at the overwhelmingly positive review people have of the handling. I personally find it to be ok until you try to push it to about 25-30% of its potential and then it's a mess. The tires are obviously not helping any as exhibited the first time I tried to emergency brake and it felt darty and weak in that department. I also have driven it in the rain and fear for the upcoming "El Nino" season if we end up getting it as even with only 2000 miles on the stock tires it feels like there is absolutely no grip around corners or during braking. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is that the handling initially gives the impression of solid/sporty(ish) but quickly takes it back once you actually try to extract anything from it. All of that said, I actually have alot of fun driving this thing, but mainly for the straight line aspect of things. Throw a corner into the mix and its Achilles heel (i.e. suspension and tires) comes to life and the situation quickly come apart.

Arktctr said:
I personally find it to be ok until you try to push it to about 25-30% of its potential and then it's a mess. The tires are obviously not helping any as exhibited the first time I tried to emergency brake and it felt darty and weak in that department. I also have driven it in the rain and fear for the upcoming "El Nino" season if we end up getting it as even with only 2000 miles on the stock tires it feels like there is absolutely no grip around corners or during braking. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is that the handling initially gives the impression of solid/sporty(ish) but quickly takes it back once you actually try to extract anything from it. All of that said, I actually have alot of fun driving this thing, but mainly for the straight line aspect of things. Throw a corner into the mix and its Achilles heel (i.e. suspension and tires) comes to life and the situation quickly come apart.
This is a good summary of my impressions as well, although I don't yet have significant wet weather experience with this car. The linear and ever-ready acceleration make it entertaining, but the braking and handling are not confidence inspiring. Better handling tires would undoubtedly help but the range would take a hit---everything's a compromise.

yep, the tires are optimised for range, period. Even Consumer Reports rated the Ecopia tires dead last for performance (different model Ecopia, but I feel free to extrapolate).

iletric,
Exactly! the preload on steering is aggressive and any distraction and you are in another lane! The skinny tall sidewall tires do not respond in a predictable way (all over the road). A larger rim with smaller sidewall 50, 40 or even 35 series might help but range would surely be affected.
Stephen
iletric said:
Actually I find the handling a little too tight. Any distracted move, like messing with the radio will affect my driving and annoys my passengers. I actually have my passengers run stuff for me so I can keep my hand steady and not weave or drift.

I wish they kept it a little looser than it is. It also gives driving at freeway speed a golf-carty feel.

Are you guys using the stock PSI?
The Kumho's I'm running are rated for 51 psi and I run them close to that.
It is not a harsh ride and I like the handling a lot.
And maybe, at this high PSI, the rolling resistance is not that much different.

NORTON,
Good point. I run OEM tires, the fronts at 38psi hot and rears at 36 psi hot. What is the model of your Kumho tires? What size and RR rating?
NORTON said:
Are you guys using the stock PSI?
The Kumho's I'm running are rated for 51 psi and I run them close to that.
It is not a harsh ride and I like the handling a lot.
And maybe, at this high PSI, the rolling resistance is not that much different.

I'm running Kumho Ecsta 4X II .
Bought them from tirerack when they had a $100 off on 4 offer.
Stock sizes. Running around 50 PSI. Couldn't care less if it's a LRR tire. It's an "Ultra High Performance All-Season". That's what I wanted from a tire. Briefly considered 'Summer Only' tires...

You guys should consider pumping up the pressure on the stock tires. I think they are rated to 44 psi. You'd also get more range, you know...
If we had two Spark EV's side by side with these two different tires we could do a 'coast down' test in neutral for rolling resistance.

I have a SparkEV and a Fiat 500E and the Fiat has it all over the spark on handling. It will lean some but is much more predictable adn in my opinion fun to drive. It is actually faster 0ff the line but the Spark outpaces it after 30 mph. I think it has something to do with Chevy governing the torque more off the line to prevent ripping the tire apart. Fiat has Firestone tires which may be part of the difference. I think they are similar sizes. Also anyone else find the seats too soft and flexy for spirited driving?

Back