If you're sick of handholding a newbie, please don't read.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglas100

I'm the newbie. Or actually close to being a newbie. I've spent a few hours reading different threads, yet still don't have much of a feel for whether Chevy Spark EV owners feel like this was a good purchase. Here's a bit of my backstory, and I'd love ANY tips or advice.

I live in Albuquerque, N.M. and will be a new EV owner. I can charge at home and have extra rooftop solar to tap into for this. There is also one of these fast charging stations in Albuquerque. I am thinking of getting a 2014 Spark EV from a dealership in California, and either having it shipped here, or I go there and tow it back to N.M. I have some concerns about getting the vehicle serviced here, but have read that some on the thread, think it would be a good idea to get a Chevy dealership here in Albuquerque to put in writing that they would service the Spark.

My mechanical (car) skills are limited, so I don't know if I would be able to fix the Spark if something even basic, were to go wrong. I spoke with a dealership here about perhaps having them ship a Spark EV to Albuquerque, but still waiting to hear back from them. The Salesman tried to talk me out of buying the EV by saying it's real range is something like 20 miles, but I get the impression from reading on here, that it is much higher than that. Albuquerque is quite hilly, and I assume that would cut into the range.

I have gotten the impression from reading this forum that some recommend getting a Spark with the DCFC option, because this is the future of charging. Besides having some concern about having a dealership repair my Spark, I also wonder if parts would be available for the Spark in the future if the car is discontinued?

I am thinking of buying a 2014 Spark EV from a dealership in California and paying in the $15-18,000 dollar range. Does this seem like a reasonable price for a very gently used 2014 Spark EV? Any other tips for buying this car from a dealership?

ANY and ALL tips and advice would be appreciated. I do have some trepidation since this would be my first EV, and it might be the only one in New Mexico. Are people finding the Spark EV a pretty dependable vehicle?

Thank you. I will reply to all responses!

Many of us would love to hear if you get anything in writing concerning warranty work from you local Chevy dealer.
I'm the one that posted the only official writing from GM concerning servicing a Spark EV out of the 3 states where it is sold, (that I know of). Not promising. You probably saw it.

Routine maintenance is fortunately minimal. Many here are talking about skipping the silly 'left to right tire rotations'. The cabin air filter replacement is called for too often, imo, unless you always follow someone down a gravel road.
The only big items: Brake fluid changes, (does any other GM product call for it so often, ??) and an ATF change at 97k miles.

Funny how the sales dog you spoke to said "20 mile range". Where did he pull that out of?
As for him, and any sales dog you deal with during your shopping, here's my bit of advice: Do you know how to tell if a car salesman is lying? His lips are moving.
Get everything in writing.
When I bought my used '14 it was all through email and txt with the internet sales guy. I only spoke with him when I was a few hours out with the dolly to tow it back home.

One more; get the DCFC if possible. It will have resale value and someday in your area functionality, hopefully.

Good luck!

ps. Be glad you are considering the Spark EV and not the Leaf. The Spark EV has a proper Thermal Management System that heats or cools the battery as needed when plugged in or running.
The Leaf has zip for TMS. You may have read about battery degradation in them, especially in hot climates.

20 mile range? That's funny. Real world range (even with hills) is 70 miles on the very low end and is more likely 80-100 miles depending on how you drive. I'm in SF which is about as hilly as it gets and my 2014 Spark EV's range is typically estimated in the 80s. I have no regrets leasing. Buying? Not as sure as I like to upgrade regularly and am interested in the Tesla Model 3 or Bolt when they are released..

Thank you for your responses. Glad to know that the range on the Spark EV is a lot better than 20 miles. :lol:

Other thoughts/concerns:

1. So, what's a guy suppose to do if his car needs service out of the three states where the EV is sold?
2. With my Gasser I go to a local mechanic because it's far cheaper than the dealership. With a Spark EV you end up paying a lot going to a dealership for repairs? (Your kind of stuck having to go to a Chevy Dealership/Garage for most things)?
3. I haven't looked into leasing, and have never leased. Does it make sense if you buy used?

1. Call and write GM and try to get an answer, like I did. There is a special GM EV Tech call center/advisor team you should try to talk to. Share your findings !!
2. It's a new car. You'll have the typical warranty for quite a while. It's a modern EV. Shaky Jake's Auto Repair is not the place to take it. Look at the owner's manual the for maintenance schedule.
3. Some people make the case for renting. They probably rent everything in their lives; car, home, furniture, appliances, etc. I know I personally only rent beer. :lol:

Douglas100 said:
I'm the newbie. Or actually close to being a newbie. I've spent a few hours reading different threads, yet still don't have much of a feel for whether Chevy Spark EV owners feel like this was a good purchase. Here's a bit of my backstory, and I'd love ANY tips or advice.

!

Douglas100 - At the end of May this year, I was a "newbie" too. Then GM came along with a lease option for a 2015 2LT Spark EV with DCFC that made the cost of the car almost free with the California and San Joaquin County rebates. So, my wife and I drove 70 miles to the dealership and picked up our Spark EV. We have never looked back and we both just love this car. The DCFC is needed for distance driving - > 90 mile round trips. But.... we liked the car so much that we found and purchased a 2014 Spark EV 2LT with only 1500 miles on it but without the DCFC option. The price was too good to pass up. As of this date, we have put about 4000 miles on our two Spark EVs and have not had a single problem. I think ICE drivers are really amazed at just how fast this little car can accelerate.

I would think any Chevrolet dealer selling Volts should be able to service your Spark but getting confirmation from GM would probably be a good first step. If your local Chevrolet dealer will service a Spark EV, RUN, don't walk, to California and find a nice, clean, low mileage 2014 Spark EV 1 or 2LT and grab it! You may have better luck finding a 2015 Spark EV with the DCFC if you want that option.

I found our second Spark EV online using www.cargurus.com.

Good Luck!

I'm a long way from the three sales states and was also very concerned about service. A couple of local Chevrolet dealers, who have Volt certified technicians, assure me they can service the Spark EV. However, I doubt you will get any dealer to put this in writing. But I don't really think that's necessary.

I don't think leasing, or even purchasing a new one, is an option for you. Dealers can only lease or sell these new within the three states. If you qualify for the income tax rebate, you might want to look for an extremely low mileage, untitled car that is still on the MCO. This will probably (but not guaranteed) still be eligible for the credit.

I'm in Florida, bought my car from a Maryland dealer about six weeks ago, and I am completely happy with it. No service issues and the car is far more useful than I anticipated it would be. Bought with 62 miles on it and it now has about 2100.

Your post came at a time when I was thinking of writing a post regarding the value of the original 2014 Sparks without DCFC of which I own one.

Here’s my thoughts:

DON’T PASS UP WHAT MIGHT BE A GREAT, PERFECT DEAL FOR YOU!

Did I shout that loud enough? :)

You have to analyze your driving and car situation. As I said before, I have one of the original SparkEVs without DCFC. Here’s why my car works so well for me, and why I haven’t felt I’ve needed a fast charger.

1. There are no fast chargers in my area. If I had bought a car with one I’d never have been able to use it anyway.

2. So, say I had a fast charger and there were fast chargers in my range, and I decided to go south to LA to visit family and friends. Do I want to stop every 80 miles and wait 20 minutes for my car to charge (assuming I could find an open charger)? Nope! I’m not THAT dedicated. That would add a lot of time to a trip that’s already a 4 hour trek. Trips out of my Spark’s range, we take my husband’s ICE.

3. I have solar panels in my side yard and a level 2 charger in my garage. I plug in when I get home. I hardly ever plug in elsewhere.

4. My commute is short. I’m never even close to running out of charge on my day to day drive. If you have a long commute and have to charge before coming home, a Spark with a fast charger would be better. (I’d probably be thinking of a Volt if I had a longer drive. I wouldn’t want to be stuck waiting at a fast charger for 20 minutes each day, but that’s me.)

5. I’m one that buys a car and runs it until it doesn’t run anymore. The Spark’s 8 year/100,000 mile warranty covers what I will need. I thought that was a pretty good deal for a car that didn’t cost me much after rebates and tax credits.

6. Plus, since I run a car as long as I can, I’m not worrying about resale value. If we get another electric or electric-hybrid, it will be in addition to the SparkEV, not to replace it.

So think about what you need in a car. You’re the only one that understands your lifestyle.

These little cars without fast chargers are just as fast at accelerating, just as zippy, comfortable, roomy, and maintenance-free as those with DCFC. So if having a fast charger isn’t a big necessity in your life, don’t pass up a good deal on one of these originals.

Oh, that salesman saying the real range is 20 miles: he either hasn’t done his homework, has been grossly misinformed, is ignorant about EVs, is lying to try to get you to buy something else, or is an idiot. Don’t trust him! Two years in, and I haven’t had any degradation in range.

Thank you everyone for your nice replies. One other issue I can think of before I make the plunge-safety. I thought I read that the Spark EV hasn't been tested yet. This is a major factor for me. I am still trying to decide between the Spark EV, and an older Volt (2011/2012). The Volt for those years rated pretty highly in crash tests. I would guess that the Spark EV, is not as "safe". (It's a smaller car, and generally speaking I believe smaller cars do not fare as well in crash tests).

Anyone having any thoughts on this? Any indication that a Spark EV would be as safe as an older Volt?

I would guess that the Spark EV, is not as "safe". (It's a smaller car, and generally speaking I believe smaller cars do not fare as well in crash tests).
Sparks achieved "Acceptable" in crash tests vs. the unacceptable other cars of its sized received. I'm a firm believer that one has to take into account how well small cars can avoid crashes because of their maneuverability.

I had a semi-truck cut right in front of me on a grade forcing me to stop. I posted about it.

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3921

Douglas100 said:
.... Any indication that a Spark EV would be as safe as an older Volt?

I'm pretty sure the Volt has a 5 Star safety rating somewhere. It is know for that.

The Spark EV is loaded with airbags and is as safe as can be expected for a Korean S-box. But remember, it has 37% American content. The Muscle Car parts!

jsca72 said:
....You have to analyze your driving and car situation....[/i]

This quote says it all. This little car really excels for local around-town commuting and I do not think it can be beat for mileage or performance. I only use my DCFC when I travel to destinations beyond the mileage point of no return which, in my case, is about 40-45 miles one way. I am fortunate to have a few DCFCs along all of my normal out-of-town routes although the first one north is 65 miles from my home. The second one along the same route is 10 miles further. My L2 EVSE in my garage handles all of my local charging requirements without any problems.

If you have a DCFC and travel beyond the mileage point of no return, you need to have a plan B and a plan C. As an example, yesterday my wife and I drove to Oakland, CA which is about 65 miles from our home. At about 45 miles out, I stopped at a DCFC and recharged to 95% so I could easily get to my destination and back to the same charging station to recharge before returning home. I returned to the same station with 40 miles remaining only to find that I could not get the DCFC to charge my car. Situation - 45 miles from home, 27 miles from the next DCFC on my route home, very heavy afternoon traffic, hot weather and a high steep pass to go over. There were two other DCFCs in the immediate area but traffic on the highway was so bad that I decided to go for it and try to make it home. We turned off the AC and toughed it out going over the pass all the while watching the range quickly drop. Fortunately, we made it to the top, the re-gen took over and we made it to the next DCFC with 25 miles remaining. Had we driven straight home, we would have had only 7 miles left. So, many, many thanks to PlugShare for their accurate application showing all of the available charging stations along a route. This would have been a real E-Ticket ride had I not known about the next DCFC on my route home. For me, this was another fun lesson on how to drive and EV.

I live in the middle of the Rogue Valley, which is about 45 miles long and maybe 10-15 miles wide. The next large areas (Eugene, OR to the north or Redding, CA to the south) are more than 150 miles away. So the Spark is my "around the valley" car and if I need to drive to Portland (275 miles) or San Francisco (360 miles), I don't use the Spark.

In theory I could use the Electric Highway to go north (but not south), but I don't actually want to wait at least 30 minutes every 80 miles. Plus the distances are dicey - my home to the DC fast charge station in Roseburg, OR, is 78 miles up and down some steep hills, the next DC fast charge station in Springfield is 82 miles of the same. That is assuming the single station is working and available at both locations. I am presently averaging about 5.5 m/kWh (lol, it's early days and I don't really do much freeway-speed driving) but I am guessing that up and down hills at 65 wouldn't be pretty, even with recharge

On the other hand, for driving within the valley I live in, the Spark is fantastic. The furthest drive I do is up to Grants Pass, which is about 35 miles from my house. I can make it there and back on a charge, or I can use one of the chargers there to "top off" before I head back. I average maybe 125-200 miles a week (going to have to watch that magic 10,000 miles per year on the lease) all of it around town, very little of it on the freeway.

Also, to update the crash test questions for the OP, here is a link to Autoblog's report on crash test data for a 2014 Spark EV in LT1 trim (I doubt the trim makes the slightest difference).
http://www.autoblog.com/buy/2014-Chevrolet-Spark+EV/safety-ratings/

Back