Looking to buy a '14 Spark EV in MD

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casualsurfer

Current owner of a '13 Volt and really like it, looking to buy a full on EV. There are quite a few choices at Miller Brothers and I have my eyes on a '14 there. They list the price at $15.5K with less than 3500 miles, and for a 2LT, what would be a good price to negotiate for? NADA shows $14K for a clean retail, and KBB is around the same. Hopefully it will have the DCFC feature.

I don't know, that one may have been there for a while. I think they may have acquired some of the demo models the GM White Marsh plant had. If so, it may not have the DCFC.

mczajka said:
I don't know, that one may have been there for a while. I think they may have acquired some of the demo models the GM White Marsh plant had. If so, it may not have the DCFC.

All except one has the DCFC, test drove the '14 and the description "squirrel on meth" is accurate. I'm leaning towards a '15 in the same price range, what are your thoughts on that? They're all between $15k to $17k with very low miles.

I'm guessing you can't use the Federal tax credits or else you would consider buying new?

As for used, the '14s have a bigger battery, more muscle and maybe a slight edge in range. My '15 came with an 8-year battery and Voltec guarantee. See if you can snag that on a used Spark before you decide.

Another thing about price, my new Spark was $24,600 before taxes and dealer fees. Rebates and tax credits came nearly to $10,000 which the dealers have already scooped up on yours (presumably), leaving the equivalent value of a new Spark at $14,600. Mine is a white, 2LT with the fast charger option. Something to consider before paying $15-17k for a used Spark.

Good luck! We're pulling for you!

Dusty

Also curious on your thinking about buying new vs used vs lease.

The emission credits and the tax credits seem to jumble a lot of the "traditional" car buying rules, so it's at least worth looking at all options.

With all of the various rebates, I ended up spending about $12k on my new Spark, plus a 25% discount on the EVSE purchase and install, plus $500 off of a Bosch unit which I will likely sell. If you can use the federal tax credit, new Sparks are a hella bargain.

I'm quite sure only one of the 2014's has DCFC. It's been there for over 4 months. I'm not sure about 2015's.

David

nikwax said:
With all of the various rebates, I ended up spending about $12k on my new Spark

Wow… makes me wish I was back in Eugene. Oregon's rebates are better than Maryland's.

BTW, have you noticed you aren't riding your Guzzi as much since getting the Spark?

Dusty said:
nikwax said:
With all of the various rebates, I ended up spending about $12k on my new Spark

Wow… makes me wish I was back in Eugene. Oregon's rebates are better than Maryland's.

most of the dosh came from GM and the dealer. Oregon only kicked in for the 25% of the EVSE. We're a bit behind here.

Dusty said:
BTW, have you noticed you aren't riding your Guzzi as much since getting the Spark?

that is true :)

I settled on a CPO '15 with less than 8k miles on the clock for $16k. Keep in mind every state is different and while I could have leveraged 7500 fed tax credit, MD provides only 2500 excise tax and at the price the spark is at new I won't get all of it. I also liked the 15 battery setup (apparently similar to my Volt) and the more refined feel vs. the squirrel on Meth feel.

This made the most financial sense. I negotiated with CA dealers and looked around the country for something similar, but this was the best deal I got.

There are a few more Spark EV at the dealership if anyone is interested. Saw a '14 with DCFC for $15k before haggling, but it's pastel blue so I skipped it.

Casualsurfer said:
Keep in mind every state is different and while I could have leveraged 7500 fed tax credit, MD provides only 2500 excise tax and at the price the spark is at new I won't get all of it.

Hmmmm…. did the salesperson tell you this? Just for other folks reading this thread, here is the actual rule: Maryland allows up to $3000 for the excise tax rebate. The amount is based on battery capacity, not selling price. Their allocation is $125 for every kWh of battery storage. For the 2015 Spark EV, which has an 18.4 kWh battery, the rebate comes to $2375 (19 x $125). It is required that the vehicle be from a dealership, is new, and can apply to plug-in cars either purchased or leased. I've already received a check for my June purchase, and we're waiting for a check for last month's lease we got for my daughter.

The big caveat is all rebates are contingent on available funding; if they run out of money for the year, you have to wait until next year and hope the program gets more money in the next budget. Here's a link to their webpage: http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/27300/27300-71T.htm

Regardless, welcome to our little club of Spark EV owners! :D

Casual, you mention a blue 2014 @ Miller as having DCFC. Going by the serial number, it was mfg. prior to DCFC being available. The Carfax report doesn't list any info til May/18/15 starting with 2,532 miles on odo.(??)
Can anyone explain this in case my research is flawed, (again!). It seems that somewhere over serial # 465000 is when DCFC's became available. Late December/2013
If this was a "mfg. vehicle" could DCFC have been installed prior to when it was available to the public? If so, then there may be more available that I didn't bother inquiring about due to the low s/n. Jeffery from Georges, can you help with this kind of insider info?

David (Getting closer. House goes on the market in about 2 weeks. I can't wait to get this car, .........but I guess I'll have to now, won't I!)

dangerHV said:
It seems that somewhere over serial # 465000 is when DCFC's became available.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if there are press vehicles out there that were very early production models and are now being sold. With that said, mine was one of the first sold with RPO CBT (DC charging). I ordered it immediately after they published the RPO, but due to production delays got it very early in 2014. My serial is 464545, which is pretty close to the number you mentioned.

Bryce

Lucky guess I guess, and thanks for the response Bryce. I'm going to look further into these types of cars when I'm ready to buy. It would be great if Jeffrey gave us some insight, (much) more often than he does. I spoke with him on the phone a couple of times. Nice guy.

David

dangerHV said:
Lucky guess I guess, and thanks for the response Bryce. I'm going to look further into these types of cars when I'm ready to buy. It would be great if Jeffrey gave us some insight, (much) more often than he does. I spoke with him on the phone a couple of times. Nice guy.

David

David, every one of Miller Brothers Spark EV save for the grey 2LT had DC fast charge, if I recall. I think you can get a better deal than I since I didn't negotiate hard, and I don't think these are flying off the lots. Good luck, I'm loving mine!

Back