Aftermarket Driver's seat?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytt

Man - absolutely loving this little car! Just about the only thing that kills me (other than a lack of a 240v charger at my rental) is that drivers seat! I realize that it's not an 8-series BMW, but I just cannot get comfortable-
Anyone swapped out the seat for something else? Maybe something off the new vette would work...

If the headrest is driving you nuts, you CAN turn it backwards. I have to when I'm autocrossing, as my helmet on plus the ridiculous forward-leaning headrest results in some major neck-bending. If you remove the headrest, it can be inserted backwards and allows you to lean your head back...perhaps a little too far without a helmet on, but worth a shot.

I'm intending to try out some aftermarket seats in mine, but my focus is on weight reduction and bolstering for autocrossing, so most factory seats will be out of the running.

Bryce

I discovered that the headrests for a Jetta 2000-2005 will fit the Spark front seats.
These are adjustable and *much* more comfortable.
Nice leather headrests usually available on Ebay for ~$50.

Caveats:
The posts are a bit too long so the headrest will not retract fully.
I'm 5' 9" and I end up with the rests all the way down.
If you are shorter, you will probably want to cut a couple inches off the posts.

These headrests may be a liability if lawyers start pointing fingers in an accident.
It's an unauthorized modification.
But, the alternative is to be irritable and uncomfortable, which leads to driver errors...

Anyone know if you can buy an aftermarket seat that will fit with the existing manufacturer's rail hardware? Agreed, the seats aren't great, would love to swap it out.

I autocross my Spark EV and have thought about working with these guys to make a Spark-specific set of mounting brackets to mount a racing seat to (since they've made Sonic brackets, which are quite similar):

http://www.425motorsports.com/planted-seat-bracket-chevrolet-sonic-2012-passenger.html
http://www.sonic-powered.com/import-tuner-sonic/seat-time/

Is that what you mean by aftermarket seat bracket? I have had the seats out before, it's really easy...only two bolts and the electrical connectors. If you want to investigate how you might be able to change the seats out with others, it's very easy to pop them out and see for yourself!

Bryce

I talked to the guys at Planted (http://www.plantedtechnology.com/) about making seat brackets for my Spark EV. This is what they said:

"Hi Bob,
Thank you of your inquiry! Unfortunately we don't currently have seat brackets for either of the Sparks. We are always looking to add new applications but we need to have the vehicle here in our development center in order to make our brackets. If you are located near us in Bellevue, WA we'd be happy to use your's as a model. If not though please feel free to spread the word online via forums, Facebook, etc to try and send one our way locally. We've had luck with referrals like this in the past.
Sorry we don't have absolution for you right now!"

So, if anybody with a Spark is near Bellevue, WA and can drop by, they can make seat brackets for us!
I'll post this in the other Spark-related forums and perhaps we'll get a bite.

I'm tempted by the Sparco R100; however, with no brackets, it's a no-go.

-Bob K.

I've got a racing seat and a pair of Planted brackets that are ready to bolt in shortly. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bryce

Nashco said:
I've got a racing seat and a pair of Planted brackets that are ready to bolt in shortly. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bryce

Bryce,
When I replace the stock seats, I'll have the seat heaters transferred to the new seats. Shouldn't be a problem. Occupancy sensors? Transferred as well.

Airbags?

Uh-oh, dunno about that.

Ideas?

-Bob K.

sTeeve said:
Nashco said:

Bryce

Bryce,
Any updates?

-Bob K.

Sorry, too busy to test it out. It's assembled, just haven't made it a priority. Thanks for the poke, I'll keep you in mind when I test it...soon!

Bryce

Nashco said:
sTeeve said:
Nashco said:

Bryce

Bryce,
Any updates?

-Bob K.

Sorry, too busy to test it out. It's assembled, just haven't made it a priority. Thanks for the poke, I'll keep you in mind when I test it...soon!

Bryce

Excellent! I've got a road trip upcoming Atlanta - Charleston, S.C. (leaving Atlanta Oct 28). I'd love to do it in better seats than the stock Chevy seats!

-Bob K.

I've got an FIA certified racing seat from my old Cayman S that I hope could be fitted with the right rails.

Casualsurfer said:
I've got an FIA certified racing seat from my old Cayman S that I hope could be fitted with the right rails.

Yeah, the rails are the issue. We think the gas Spark seat rails/mount points are the same for the EV.

Some gas Spark drivers have installed aftermarket seats, but information about that is scarce. Chevy (Z-Spec) made a special Spark EV for SEMA with custom seats (they don't look all that "custom" to me, but again, information is scarce).

We have to keep Bryce on the hook until he test out his seat/rails. :cool:

-Bob K.

Back