Phone holder ?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikwax

Does anyone have a phone holder that they like? I'm thinking of a cup holder model that places the device where it's easy to see and cable to. Maybe like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012I6A6E8/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=2SLPB6T357794&coliid=IU5RKGDE6W8NY&vs=1

Anyone?

I bought a version of this to mount a 7" tablet to run the Torque app.
It is a tight fit near the car's dash with the tablet.
It came with a smaller phone mount adapter too. I'll test that and post pictures.
It's definitely sturdy.
I saw a different style that had a ball mount at the phone or tablet mount that had a ring to tighten the setting at the ball.
I may try that one next.

Thanks Norton. I just ordered the longer version for my new giganto iPhone, I'll report on it as well.

The RAM mount looks very good but is very spendy.

The longer version

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012I6A6E8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

doesn't work well with the Spark, the dash protrudes into where the device wants to be. Maybe the shorter version will work. The base locks very nicely and the construction is quite sturdy.

I now use this one for my phone: http://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail/1073/iOttie-Easy-One-Touch-2-Car-Mount-Holder-for-iPhone-6-_4_7__Plus-_5_5_-_5s_5c_-Samsung-Galaxy-S5_S4_S3_Note-4_3_-Google-Nexus-5_4_-LG-G3
The gel adhesive is not the best on the textured dash top surface. I'll change to a Garmin hard plastic mounting disc that uses adhesive tape for this.
It is awesome how the mount grabs and releases the phone with one hand !
>I have this mounted so the phone is just to the right of the right center vent.

>I have a Garmin 5" nuvi mounted between the two stock 7" displays.
This will display Garmin's backup camera as soon as I mount the camera and snake the wires through the hatch to the reverse light wires.

>I'm using the big mount listed above that securely locks into the right cup holder for a 7" tablet to display Torque app info.
Or at least I will when I figure out why my OBD-II adapter won't talk to the ECU.

>And finally a dashcam is mounted above and to the right of the rear view mirror.

Total of 6 displays !!! I'm into it !!

NORTON said:
I now use this one for my phone: http://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail/1073/iOttie-Easy-One-Touch-2-Car-Mount-Holder-for-iPhone-6-_4_7__Plus-_5_5_-_5s_5c_-Samsung-Galaxy-S5_S4_S3_Note-4_3_-Google-Nexus-5_4_-LG-G3
The gel adhesive is not the best on the textured dash top surface. I'll change to a Garmin hard plastic mounting disc that uses adhesive tape for this.
It is awesome how the mount grabs and releases the phone with one hand !
>I have this mounted so the phone is just to the right of the right center vent.

>I have a Garmin 5" nuvi mounted between the two stock 7" displays.
This will display Garmin's backup camera as soon as I mount the camera and snake the wires through the hatch to the reverse light wires.

>I'm using the big mount listed above that securely locks into the right cup holder for a 7" tablet to display Torque app info.
Or at least I will when I figure out why my OBD-II adapter won't talk to the ECU.

>And finally a dashcam is mounted above and to the right of the rear view mirror.

Total of 6 displays !!! I'm into it !!

Photos?

Too much?

Someday I'll have the Garmin backup camera installed. It's wireless to the nuvi, but requires 2 wires to the Reverse light wiring.
Another view with the coolest live wall paper there is. Terratime globe. Real time cloud and ice cap coverage! Not available on old fashioned iphns....

The phone is a nexus 5 with a skin and a thin hard cover.
The phone mount is an:
"The iOttie Easy One Touch 2 now features a 2-step locking system. Made of a super strong adhesive, the gel pad sticks firmly to curved, textured, and other difficult surfaces without a hitch."

They lie about how great the 'gel pad sticks'. It doesn't the way I'm using it. The textured dash and the way I have it hanging off center peals the pad off easily.
I will use a different disc that Garmin sells to mount on the top of the dash.
The lock and release mechanism is awesome, though !

I just got these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OJE1SG8/ref=pd_aw_sim_107_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1A2BGZAKFQ8S1CP68YTX

Magnetic mount, works pretty well.

Look up 3M VHB double sided foam tape. Expensive but super strong. There was a segment on Modern Marvels about this stuff.

David

Not too much. Does everything hold still pretty well under acceleration and hard cornering? We know your car is good at accelerating :)

Just some follow up for those interested in a simple and cheap phone mount. I have an iphone 6 and use a relatively thin, soft case. I wanted a simple, cheap mount that put the phone up at eye level and ended up getting the one that was linked to earlier in this thread (without realizing it was already in this thread, just from searching on Amazon). I didn't require a power connection to be integrated, as long as I could plug in my Lightning cable when necessary.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OJE1SG8/

"TechMatte MagGrip Vent"

I'm very pleased with it. It clips onto the dash quite simply and is hardly noticeable when the phone is removed.

24194196865_9d9577c0dd.jpg

As a bonus, this mounting location blocks the super annoying passenger air bag indicator light at night. Of course, if the phone is being used for GPS or similar then it lights up, but when it is dark otherwise it serves as a nice blocker of the unnecessary and obnoxious air bag indicator.

24168114766_957e5b9272.jpg

The included metal rectangular plate is placed (without adhesive) between my phone and case. This holds the phone very well, with low enough holding force that I can easily remove it from the magnet without putting much stress on the vent, yet strong enough to hold the phone on harsh potholes and cornering, even with my stiffer, lowered suspension.

At $7, you can't go wrong with this one. It works on any phone. If you don't have a cover, the provided thin metal plate has adhesive to attach it directly to your phone. I haven't seen any ill effects on the phone as a result of being attached to the magnet, and as you can see there are lots of good reviews on Amazon, so I'm not alone.

Bryce

The metal plate comes with an adhesive backing that has a peel-away protective layer. This peel-away paper is pretty slick and I can't imagine it scratching the phone any more than just having it in your pocket would. That is why I have the plate (paper backing facing the phone) between my phone case and phone.

Bryce

That's how mine is. Metal disk is between the phone and Omaker case, exposed metal facing the case and slippery paper backing facing the phone. It hasn't shifted in the week I've used it nor are there any witness marks to indicate it will scuff the phone surface up.

Bryce

Sorry for reviving dead threads, but I love my CELLET magnetic cup holder mount. When I got it out of the packaging, I didn't understand how this magnet on the steel ball could provide a sturdy mount. Well, I've used it on my Galaxy S4 with extended battery, and it works just fine and offers unparalleled maneuverability (imo). Unsure how it would do with a tablet or something else larger and heavier than your average phone. Oh, and it's only $12, winning :)
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Car-Cup-Holder-Phone-Mount-for-iPhone-X-8-Plus-Galaxy-Note-8-S8-Plus/152843024400?epid=20017683743&hash=item2396277810:g:qPsAAOSwk1haQzh2

Back