Back up camera?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the camera installed (or even connected) right now, but the following snippet of code did more or less what we're trying to do:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

open(CAN, "candump -a -t a can2|");

while(<CAN>) {
	if (/102CE040\s+.8.\s+1(.)/) {
		$state = $1;
		print "state = $state\n";
		if ($state == 2) {
			system "cansend can2 244#07.AE.05.20.20.00.00.00"
		}
	}
}
close CAN;
I think 102CE040 is the message that gets sent to the instrument panel when the shifter goes into reverse; there's about a 300ms delay between when I move the shift and when that message gets sent, but it seems livable. There's then a 3 second lag after you switch out of reverse before the display goes back to normal. Finally, we're spamming the CAN bus every 300ms or so, which is overkill ... we only need to send a message more often than every 3 seconds. So there's room for improvement, and it needs to be ported to a microcontroller with a real SWCAN transceiver that won't make my dashboard keep flashing random error messages :p

Let me throw out a few caveats -- this is just a proof of concept, because I suck at running wires nicely through my car, and I'm using a suboptimal OBD2 setup (the aforementioned perl script) which I think is causing a fair bit of lag:

jMFeSPn.jpg

... but it does seem to work well enough that I'm going to try to figure out how to run the wire correctly, and then port the code to a simpler device that will have less latency and fewer random SWCAN errors. Haven't been brave enough to drive around with it, so all you get to see is the inside of my garage door, but here it is --

https://vid.me/s0Ny

PS props to bicycleguy for the tip on modifying the camera mount. Wish I didn't have to sacrifice the original bulb holder, but it worked pretty well.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude but we were emailed a link to this post by one of you :)

Anyhow I wanted to interject that we can program your factory radio to accept the backup camera without issue. In fact according to our records we've already done a couple of them for a few dealers (as well as removing the motion locks IE Video in Motion etc) Just figured I'd throw that out there, you guys seem to be pretty deep into this LOL

GTPprix said:
Hey guys, sorry to intrude but we were emailed a link to this post by one of you :)

Anyhow I wanted to interject that we can program your factory radio to accept the backup camera without issue. In fact according to our records we've already done a couple of them for a few dealers (as well as removing the motion locks IE Video in Motion etc) Just figured I'd throw that out there, you guys seem to be pretty deep into this LOL

I'd love to hear more details. What does it entail?

GTPprix said:

[...pullis curtain back...] Guilty as charged. I contacted Chris enquiring about his services on our MyLink systems.

Welcome, Chris, to our world! Happy to have you!

I've asked Chris if we can get a discount if we do a group buy. I've never done a group buy before, so perhaps some of you can walk us through this.

Chris has agreed, in principle, provided that one of us ceases to pm him asking how to do it! :D

So, if any of you are interested in this, let's talk.

-Bob K.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on my own free/cheap/openly-documented/open-source/DIY solution (depends on what I come up with), and I promise not to be passive-aggressive about it (I am the aforementioned "one of us").

On that note, can someone try something for me? Tap on the upper-left corner of the screen real fast (10 or more times) until it says "Development Mode PW" on it? (http://vk.com/video48538247_171385188) Then enter 56811, hit OK, and tell me what happens. Thanks!

Edit: if this does or does not work, please tell me your SW version from the settings menu. Mine is 16.31.

solder said:
Meanwhile, I'm still working on my own free/cheap/openly-documented/open-source/DIY solution (depends on what I come up with), and I promise not to be passive-aggressive about it (I am the aforementioned "one of us").

On that note, can someone try something for me? Tap on the upper-left corner of the screen real fast (10 or more times) until it says "Development Mode PW" on it? Then enter 56811, hit OK, and tell me what happens. Thanks!

Edit: if this does or does not work, please tell me your SW version from the settings menu. Mine is 16.31.

Good on yer, solder. Keep after it.
Your solution will not work for me as I use the OBDII port for Torque Pro.

-Bob K.

sTeeve said:
solder said:

On that note, can someone try something for me? Tap on the upper-left corner of the screen real fast (10 or more times) until it says "Development Mode PW" on it? Then enter 56811, hit OK, and tell me what happens. Thanks!

Good on yer, solder. Keep after it.
Your solution will not work for me as I use the OBDII port for Torque Pro.

-Bob K.
Thanks! My solution might not involve the OBDII port, if I can figure out how to reprogram the head unit like Chris is doing and like the solution you posted does. (Chris's service is basically built into that box, along with an RCA connector for the video.) Or even if I can't; I could just tap into the CAN bus at the connector behind the radio, again like the solution you posted.

The password I posted doesn't seem to be version dependent, nor does it seem to work; oh well. Does anyone here know MIPS assembly?

Did some more digging (and will verify) but it appears we can indeed add the video and pictures to the EV's as well as then unlock it in motion ;)

solder said:
Well, anyway. Let me close the circle on this.

The developer password is 20110827. Here is a video that shows how to use it: https://vid.me/n6YW

There's a bunch of Russians actively working on various hacks for the mylink here: http://www.chevrolet-cruze-club.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=13218&page=400

Likewise, a bunch of Brazilians are working here: http://clubedoonix.com.br/topic/12586-mylink-full-free/?page=37

It's fairly easy to copy files off and off the head unit using Explorer, so in principle all we need to do is modify one of the EXE files and re-enable the video. The trick, of course, is doing this safely, because if you screw it up you might brick the unit. So I'd still love any help anyone can offer on e.g. running AppMain.exe off a USB stick (which shows up as MD in Explorer).

Outstanding, solder! This is way over my head but still most interesting.

-Bob K.

Nice! Glad they still haven't changed the password hahah This would I guess explain why we get tons on inquiries from Brazil and Russia though, also explains why they are so far away from having anything thats working; they are approaching it like a PC ;)

Hint: WRONG SPOT ;)

GTPprix said:
Nice! Glad they still haven't changed the password hahah This would I guess explain why we get tons on inquiries from Brazil and Russia though, also explains why they are so far away from having anything thats working; they are approaching it like a PC ;)

Oh, so now we're forthcoming with the "hints"? :p

People make use of the knowledge, tools and approaches available to them. I'm still just getting started. :)

GTPprix said:

Someone in Brazil observed the unlocking process in the Mylink and realized it is necessary disconnect cables to save any change in Devmode/explorer mode of Mylink . But which cables? battery ? data ? Or both ? Please could you suggest anything? I am interested in Mirrorlink function of Mylink.
Thank you

Update: A russian person wtih nickname Axiv got unlock mirrorlink function in MyLink radio. I tested and worked. See procedures on http://www.chevrolet-cruze-club.ru/forum/showpost.php?p=980025&postcount=4530

Back