List your miles and MPGe

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrDRMorgan said:
Assuming it would take approximately 1.5 hours of DCFC charging to fully recharge the battery in the Bolt, how long would it take to recharge at home using an L2 charger - 15+ hours?
Assuming 50 kWh battery (more or less), 80% charging efficiency (conservative estimate)

3.3kW charger : 50 kWh / 3.3 kW / 0.8 = 19 hours

If it comes with 6.6kW charger, 19 hours / 2 = 9.5 hours. It will be bit shorter due to higher efficiency. Also, this takes conservative estimates, (ie, 50kWh @ 80%), so actual time will likely be shorter.

MrDRMorgan said:
I do not know what will happen to home charging but we are going to need a lot more DCFC charging stations with more than one dual charger cable at each location - like Tesla's charging locations with multiple stations.
DCFC question is only relevant to number of vehicles on the road, whether it's SparkEV or Bolt. But you're right that we will need lot more DCFC. Instead of building CA high speed rail, they should build more DCFC. At $20K/station, 1 million DCFC would only cost $20B, far less than $70B of HSR. In fact, they can also give away 1 million SparkEV at $25K ($25B) and still have $25B left over. That would save more fossil fuel and greenhouse gases and all the benefits, but that's for another topic; I discuss this very point in my blog.

Agreed. This discussion probably should be moved to the Batteries and Charging forum as it is one all EV drivers (Tesla excluded) are going to eventually experience. EVs with longer ranges and increasing sales of EVs are going to put a heavy demand on DCFC charging stations making it more difficult to get to and use one in a timely manner.

There is also another forum for a California Electric Highway which all EV drivers should be interested in joining if they want to find out how we EV drivers are going to be able to drive long distances. Nevada seems to be getting the jump on California.

140 MPGe after 2600 miles. I seem to usually land somewhere around 4.8-5.0 mi/kWh.

I'm happy with it so far and the kids dig the wifi... so I got that going for me. 2600 miles in my first two months - and I expect the mileage to climb. I'll probably end up doing 20k miles a year and saving some dough. That said, I still have my beastly gasmobile for long trips and weekend fun. But I love that this puny thing spanks most other EVs off the line.

SilentGreen said:
140 MPGe after 2600 miles. I seem to usually land somewhere around 4.8-5.0 mi/kWh.
For your 140 MPGe, is that what you get as out of pocket cost compared to gas car or is that told by car / On-Star? What is your electric rate and gas prices around your area?

Is 4.8-5 mi/kWh what's told by the car or actually measured that takes into account charging loss?

Go to the ENERGY DETAILS section of the ENERGY INFORMATION screen. At the bottom of the ENERGY DETAILS screen you will find ENERGY USED since the last full charge. I know this works on AC but I am not sure if it does on DCFC. The percentages for Driving, Climate and Battery are a percentage of the full battery capacity - 19 kWh for a 2015 Spark EV. Charging efficiency can easily be calculated by dividing the Energy Used value by the total kWh (at the wall) required to fully recharge the battery. This assumes you have a power meter at the wall outlet to measure the kWh supplied to the car.

Mi per kWh can be calculated by multiplying the Driving percentage X 19 kWh and dividing the result into the actual miles traveled.

6/30/2015: I took a drive to Oakland, CA today - 75 miles one way - and stopped for two DCFC charges. Both were allowed to go to completion. The first one did reset ENERGY DETAILS screen. The Second DCFC charge - at the same station - did not reset the ENERGY DETAILS screen although the charger had automatically disconnected before I returned to the car. I have not seen this happen with my home L1 charger at 8 or 12 amps.

SparkevBlogspot said:
SilentGreen said:
For your 140 MPGe, is that what you get as out of pocket cost compared to gas car or is that told by car / On-Star? What is your electric rate and gas prices around your area?

Is 4.8-5 mi/kWh what's told by the car or actually measured that takes into account charging loss?
Clarity... the 140 MPEGe number was from the app. Nerd alert... I also worked up a spreadsheet before I got my car to see what my savings would be versus my other car.

My actual out of pocket has varied but overall is about the same. Since I don't have my 240 charger installed at home I sometimes get stuck at work charging on a ChargePoint at $0.19/kWh to make it through the day versus at home where I'm at $0.11.

My commute is 72 miles roundtrip so the 82 range is one thing that led me to look at the Spark. "Luckily", I drive in such shitty traffic most days that I'm doing some serious regen and usually getting about a range of around 95.

Ultimately, I'm comfortable knowing that my fuel costs when driving the Spark are about 80-85% less than it my old car. I call it a win.

2015 spark ev:
102 MPGe @ 1420 mile

(Caveat: when I got the car it had 64 miles with around 70 MPGe)

I usually see between 120 and 150 during a round trip. I get between 6 and 10 mi/ kWh to work, and 2 to 4 mi / kWh driving back home (I live on a hill). I've seen around 230 MPGe driving to work. I don't have a consistent driving habit, but practically always take the same route. Sometimes I use the heater, and it makes a big difference. I have been driving, so far, with the stock tires.

My numbers improved overall, after the first month or two. But I'm not sure why.

SparkevBlogspot said:
SilentGreen said:

The value displayed on the energy screen is before charging losses.

The MPGe value shown in the App includes charging losses.

For the first year of ownership I recorded all the charging energy (either from Chargepoint or using a KillaWatt at home).

I averaged 5.7mi/kWh DC and 4.7mi/kWh AC. My MPGe is ~161. The indicated range at full charge was usually ~115.

ONstar gives an energy rating every month with their diagnostic email. I usually get a rating between 19 and 22kWh/100Mile.

kevin

JSBSF said:
2015 spark ev:
102 MPGe @ 1420 mile

(Caveat: when I got the car it had 64 miles with around 70 MPGe)

I usually see between 120 and 150 during a round trip. I get between 6 and 10 mi/ kWh to work, and 2 to 4 mi / kWh driving back home (I live on a hill). I've seen around 230 MPGe driving to work. I don't have a consistent driving habit, but practically always take the same route. Sometimes I use the heater, and it makes a big difference. I have been driving, so far, with the stock tires.

My numbers improved overall, after the first month or two. But I'm not sure why.

I think the main reason for the increase is the tires wearing in.

I would see a 5-10% reduction in fuel economy on my Prius with a new set of tires that would improve over ~5000 miles.

kevin

Updating my figures (was 124 / 10930) now per OnStar we're at 130 mpge for 20,045 absolutely trouble free miles. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

4200 miles...Onboard m/kWh is 5.5 mi/kWh = 185 mpge. The on star mpge report is listing me at 20 kWh consumed per 100 miles. So 5mi/kWh= 170 mpge including the 'charging loss'

updated Feb 22 2016. Winter took a big hit on efficiency. Lifetime mpg e onboard now at 5.1miles/kWh or 173 mpgE. With 10% line loss that is reduced to 156 mpgE lifetime (6000 miles)

onStar # is lower at 136 mpgE. (ONstar figuring much more charging loss? like 20% )

6938 miles 144 mpge according to Onstar app.

Man, some of you guys are super hypermilers! Winter is setting in and my mpge average is going down.

Almost to the 50K mark. I am at 49,808 now with 127 mpge. I moved recently so I do not sit in traffic and usually drive 80 to 85 mph so my mpge has declined quite a bit. Fortunately I get free charge by my house so doesn't really matter what my mpge is.

24.,747 miles
On a cold day, made it to work with 2 miles on the gom
146 mpge
Wife and i try to out-range each other
Start in the morning lately with 106 -- 110 on the gom
Feels like I will be run over...
Please bring back the double-nickel.
Got my reservation in

brunoylupe said:
Wife and i try to out-range each other
Start in the morning lately with 106 -- 110 on the gom
Feels like I will be run over...
Please bring back the double-nickel.
Got my reservation in
Are you working close to the range limit of the Spark?

Are you hypermiling because you need to, or are you playing a game with the wife?

I cruise to work with all my pals in the left lane, 70-80 mph in a 65. Occasionally bump the 90 mph limit. We can't drive 55 !!!
Why be cheap if you are already driving the least expensive way there is?

Please don't make a bad name for small EV's...

You gave Elon a free kick-starter loan.
How long will I be driving a Bolt before you have a '$35k' Tesla?

(actually I don't need a Bolt. The Spark EV suits me perfectly with a big free DCFC network around town.)

Back