Public Charging Problems

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevon

There are a couple of issues charging at my apartment which I do not own. So far I have been able to charge my car for free at other places, but not free from hassles. Found a hotel with free charging 1.9 miles from my house but the EV charge spots were not clearly marked also no EV signs are up. The hotel guests are oblivious and they always park in the EV spots. One time a 5th parking spot opened up, I stretched the charge cable. But one of the hotel guests parking in the EV spots pulled out and caught cord damaging and breaking my charge port! No apology or note with contact info of course. No point talking to the hotel their response probably would be "so what room are you staying in?" and "so you are trespassing and you want what?" Dropping off the Spark at a body shop today for repair. Last week the hotel marked 2 EV spots on the pavement, but still no posted signs though. Now there are 2 EV spots available but EVSE 1 is down (7 days) and EVSE 2 is no longer "gratis". Close by I was able to charge for free at Whole Foods 1.4 miles away but a fresh new host of problems were found at that site. EV spots are always in use and the other night I arrived at 5:30pm both chargers were taken #1 by BMW i3, #2 by orange Fiat 500e, #3 handicap unused. Returned at 8:15 pm with 2 miles left on my Spark EV, had to park next to handicap spaces in employee smoking area, plugged in. Came back in 1 hour to move the car to #1 or #2 spots Bimmer and 500e were still there charging. A dark blue Nissan Leaf without plates or handicapped placard parked in the handicapped spot and unplugged my Spark!! I put the #3 cord back into my Spark. Can you believe this guy? Gets worse, when I came back at 10:30 pm gate was open, blue LEAF gone and my Spark was again unplugged with a nasty WTF note under my wiper blade by the guy who unplugged my car in the first place telling ME how rude it was to unplug "his car" He signed it "blue LEAF" what an A.H. Finally the Germans and Italians left, moved Spark to the legitimate # 2 EV spot and plugged it back in, took several tries to get it going. Meanwhile the lot gate locked my car on the roof for the night . Had to use the elevator to get off the roof, stairs were locked. Came back the next morning to retrieve my car

The Leaf guy might've been confused about your indicators and thought you were done.

On the Leaf, the 3 blue lights are a progress indicator (indicating roughly thirds of fullness) and one of them blinks while charging, as it's building up. When done, all 3 blue lights stay on for 5 minutes then go out.

That blink vs. steady state is the opposite of GM cars where solid green == charging and flashing green == done. I've talked to numerous Volt drivers who get that confused about Leafs.

I've printed out a sign that I put up on my windshield at busy at the sometimes busy 8 free public J1772 stations indicating how to tell a Leaf is done charging, vs. a GM car vs. a Ford. Those are the common ones there.

I've seen some Volt owners put up a sign w/an arrow pointing to their green light and giving the two definitions or merely that it's ok it unplug them once the green light flashes.

But yes, it's rude to unplug someone, esp. a pure BEV if they aren't done. And, either the other guy was a-hole or he was confused.

Every EV owner needs something like this: http://www.takechargeandgo.com/2015/02/14/hangers/
Or this (what I use): http://www.pluginamerica.org/evcard (Print it, write what "charge complete" looks like, laminate, done.)

cwerdna,

You may be right! Maybe he thought it was "OK" to unplug seeing a solid green light on my dash board. My 8.5 x 11 inch note states "when blinking green you can unplug" Maybe that explains his behavior Hanlon's razor "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
cwerdna said:
The Leaf guy might've been confused about your indicators and thought you were done.

On the Leaf, the 3 blue lights are a progress indicator (indicating roughly thirds of fullness) and one of them blinks while charging, as it's building up. When done, all 3 blue lights stay on for 5 minutes then go out.

That blink vs. steady state is the opposite of GM cars where solid green == charging and flashing green == done. I've talked to numerous Volt drivers who get that confused about Leafs.

I've printed out a sign that I put up on my windshield at busy at the sometimes busy 8 free public J1772 stations indicating how to tell a Leaf is done charging, vs. a GM car vs. a Ford. Those are the common ones there.

I've seen some Volt owners put up a sign w/an arrow pointing to their green light and giving the two definitions or merely that it's ok it unplug them once the green light flashes.

But yes, it's rude to unplug someone, esp. a pure BEV if they aren't done. And, either the other guy was a-hole or he was confused.

The hangers seem like a good idea.

If you're cheap like me - I keep a regular notebook and a sharpie in the car.
When I plug in somewhere, I usually write down the estimated time when it's ok to unplug, along with my name & number... and I put the notebook on the dash covering the green light.

I haven't had any problems with people unplugging me so far.

I also happen live in an apartment and park on the street. Certainly not the most convenient for charging, I charge with DCFC almost exclusively - it costs about the same vs. charging at home, and the convenience of being done in 20 mins is worth it.

I just wish there were more than 2 DCFC stations near me.

This is what I pay:
SDGE off peak - $0.18/kw
SDGE peak - $0.27/kw
EVgo fast charger - $0.20/kw average, plus $15/month.

sv650john
I'm cheap too, going to laminate a made up sign put it on my dash board
EV-Unplug-Sign-sm.png

What do you think? "fo the ignoint fowk amoung us"
Stephen
sv650john said:
The hangers seem like a good idea.

If you're cheap like me - I keep a regular notebook and a sharpie in the car.
When I plug in somewhere, I usually write down the estimated time when it's ok to unplug, along with my name & number... and I put the notebook on the dash covering the green light.

I haven't had any problems with people unplugging me so far.

I also happen live in an apartment and park on the street. Certainly not the most convenient for charging, I charge with DCFC almost exclusively - it costs about the same vs. charging at home, and the convenience of being done in 20 mins is worth it.

I just wish there were more than 2 DCFC stations near me.

This is what I pay:
SDGE off peak - $0.18/kw
SDGE peak - $0.27/kw
EVgo fast charger - $0.20/kw average, plus $15/month.

Stephen,

I like it !
EDIT: But I'll wait for V2. The fine print might not get read. The bold print needs to explain the light.

Too bad when the SAE members got together they couldn't have agreed to a standard for the Green Light thingy.

So, as said, maybe they're not jerks, (maybe they are)....

I never charge at a busy public L2's. There are way too many DCFC in my area to mess with that old fashioned method... :mrgreen:
EDIT: When V2 is released I'll print and laminate one of these! Only with a different phone number, of course. I'll call you later!! We can talk about your folding Ebike.

NORTON,

Here you go
EV-Unplug-Sign-2-sm.png

NORTON said:
Stephen,

I like it !
EDIT: But I'll wait for V2. The fine print might not get read. The bold print needs to explain the light.

Too bad when the SAE members got together they couldn't have agreed to a standard for the Green Light thingy.

So, as said, maybe they're not jerks, (maybe they are)....

I never charge at a busy public L2's. There are way too many DCFC in my area to mess with that old fashioned method... :mrgreen:
EDIT: When V2 is released I'll print and laminate one of these! Only with a different phone number, of course. I'll call you later!! We can talk about your folding Ebike.

Have been charging at Chevy dealer until Friday! they got a new shipment of VOLTs and unplugged my car after 20 minutes! Makes sense, it's theirs. It's OK for now I'm able to charge at work @120volt so it's not too bad. Wishing we had EVSE stations at work, and it would be great if it were possible. But being available could cause other issues as well
( taken by others all day). Without that option you have to ask yourself a question, "does this car make sense for Me?" :?:

My public charging blues has been solved......
Traded in Spark for a Fusion Energi :D http://ranchofordtemecula.com/Southern-California/For-Sale/New/Ford/Fusion/2016-Energi-Titanium-Gray-Car/44557113/
See post for details: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4310&start=10
stevon said:
Have been charging at Chevy dealer until Friday! they got a new shipment of VOLTs and unplugged my car after 20 minutes! Makes sense, it's theirs. It's OK for now I'm able to charge at work @120volt so it's not too bad. Wishing we had EVSE stations at work, and it would be great if it were possible. But being available could cause other issues as well
( taken by others all day). Without that option you have to ask yourself a question, "does this car make sense for Me?" :?:

stevon said:
Traded in Spark for a Fusion Energi :D http://ranchofordtemecula.com/Southern-California/For-Sale/New/Ford/Fusion/2016-Energi-Titanium-Gray-Car/44557113/
See post for details: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4310&start=10
stevon said:

Too bad that the Spark didn't work out for you, but you have to do what works best for you! :) I hope you like the Fusion Energy, it definitely has a classy style to it. Looks like it is probably roomier than the Spark. If you are charging at work, you can probably get the battery completely charged by the time you leave!

We also live in an apartment, but thankfully we haven't had nearly as many issues as you. If we cannot get a space in our parking garage, my fiance can charge on her college campus, there are about a dozen public chargers within 2 blocks of our complex, and my office will let me charge at work (although only at standard outlets). If we didn't have so many options, I could definitely see the transition being hard if not impossible to make work!

WadeTyhon,

Thanks for the sentiment. Did my best to make it work, even designed and carried an onboard, portable L2 generator! See other thread http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4149 Did enjoy the Sparks "zippiness" and ease of parking in SO Cali. When there are more PHEVs and BEVs out there I think public charging problems will increase. There are already threads about Tesla owners complaining of access to "Superchargers" in SF. But with the apartment driveway issues, tripling my electric bill, hassles at work and in public, new girlfriend, etc. it just didn't work for me. Adventure experiment concluded!
With the closed end lease, I can now walk away without further financial obligation and primed for future BEVs (Bolt, Tesla 3 or ?) hard to predict the future. The VOLT2 was too small for my new needs. Have driven the Fusion Energi two days to work now and it's quite a change. Feel like I'm driving a Bentley in comparison. Have to go back to school to learn how to use all of the features it has. One good thing is the radar proximity sensors all around the car and backup camera. It compensates squeezing this full size car into tiny Cali parking spots. The NSX I had did have a similar "luxury feel" to it. The Spark only imitates the NSX acceleration but not the comfort or the handling. To be expected with 100k vs net 18k price tag new. My Fiancee loves the Fusion, which is important at this stage.
At work, battery is fully charged by lunchtime on L1 EVSE that came with the car!
Stephen

WadeTyhon said:
stevon said:
stevon said:

Too bad that the Spark didn't work out for you, but you have to do what works best for you! :) I hope you like the Fusion Energy, it definitely has a classy style to it. Looks like it is probably roomier than the Spark. If you are charging at work, you can probably get the battery completely charged by the time you leave!

We also live in an apartment, but thankfully we haven't had nearly as many issues as you. If we cannot get a space in our parking garage, my fiance can charge on her college campus, there are about a dozen public chargers within 2 blocks of our complex, and my office will let me charge at work (although only at standard outlets). If we didn't have so many options, I could definitely see the transition being hard if not impossible to make work!

Back