To trade in Spark or not?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImTedBell

looked into it and you are right about me not qualifying for the Spark EV $2500 rebate. Thanks for the "heads up"
ImTedBell said:
You don't have to wait 7.5 years. The rebate had a stipulation of minimum ownership length.

As always, there is the policy and what they actually do in practice.

Rebate recipients who do not retain the eligible vehicle for the full 30-month ownership or lease period will be required to reimburse ARB all or part of
the original rebate amount.
-Vehicle purchaser or lessee is required to notify the Administrator to arrange for early termination of vehicle ownership in advance of intent to
sell or terminate a lease prior to the required 30-month ownership period.
-ARB will periodically check vehicle identification numbers with vehicle registrations to ensure that CVRP applicants meet this requirement. If
an applicant violates this requirement, ARB or its designee reserves the right to recoup CVRP funds from the original vehicle purchaser
identified on the rebate application form and may pursue other remedies available under the law

I'm happy with my new car the Fusion Energi . Averaging 51 MPG gas and electric combined. Love the car and it's luxurious appointments. The SPARK was a fun car but impractical for my needs. When the lease is up on the Fusion in 3 years we'll see what is available, until then enjoying the ride and comfort!
Update, I'm now getting 53.5 MPG gas and electric combined! :mrgreen:

I'm glad you're happy with your new car. Fusion is lot bigger and "luxurious". Coming from Prius hybrid to SparkEV, I recommend that you get rid of the hybrid before the warranty expires (3 years you say?). Once the battery goes, you not only have to worry about paying thousands of dollars for the battery, but potentially thousands of dollars more to service the aging gas engine. Double trouble as some call it.

It seems to me a lot of the issues you faced with SparkEV was due to your effort in getting free charge to get free car in 5 or 6 years. If you have eVgo DCFC in your area, $15/mo and 800 miles per month (lease miles of 10K miles/year) would've cost equivalent to about 55 MPG gas car at 4.5 mi/kWh (5 mi/kWh battery to wheels) when gas is $3/gal. Typically, gas prices are higher, so you'd save even more, especially if your drive is mostly low speed (local and/or in traffic).

Short time at public DCFC would've reduced the chance of your charge port getting yanked, too. Personally, I've used public L2 only once; it's just not practical. But public DCFC made SparkEV replace my gas car; 20 minutes at the market is all one needs.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope your negative experience does not dissuade other potential SparkEV drivers, the best car for the money, EV or otherwise.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/09/ev-ranking.html

SparkevBlogspot,
Essentially I converted my car loan into a 3 year closed lease by keeping the payments the same. In a few years there will be different cars to purchase: new technology EV, Phev, Hybrid, etc. I get to buy at a discount or walk away from the Fusion Energi. The Fusion Energi has 3 years bumper to bumper and an 8 year warranty on battery and electrical drivetrain components.
SparkevBlogspot said:
I'm glad you're happy with your new car. Fusion is lot bigger and "luxurious". Coming from Prius hybrid to SparkEV, I recommend that you get rid of the hybrid before the warranty expires (3 years you say?). Once the battery goes, you not only have to worry about paying thousands of dollars for the battery, but potentially thousands of dollars more to service the aging gas engine. Double trouble as some call it.

It seems to me a lot of the issues you faced with SparkEV was due to your effort in getting free charge to get free car in 5 or 6 years. If you have eVgo DCFC in your area, $15/mo and 800 miles per month (lease miles of 10K miles/year) would've cost equivalent to about 55 MPG gas car at 4.5 mi/kWh (5 mi/kWh battery to wheels) when gas is $3/gal. Typically, gas prices are higher, so you'd save even more, especially if your drive is mostly low speed (local and/or in traffic).

Short time at public DCFC would've reduced the chance of your charge port getting yanked, too. Personally, I've used public L2 only once; it's just not practical. But public DCFC made SparkEV replace my gas car; 20 minutes at the market is all one needs.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope your negative experience does not dissuade other potential SparkEV drivers, the best car for the money, EV or otherwise.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/09/ev-ranking.html

stevon said:
8 year warranty on battery and electrical drivetrain components.
My Prius battery died about a year after warranty expired. Car makers seem to know exactly when it'll fail. After finding out the cost of replacing the battery, I gave up on all hybrids, hence SparkEV. That's why I recommend you dump it before the warranty expires. It might be true with BEV, too, although lack of aging gas engine to worry about is far easier with BEV.

Lots of people talk about used batteries, but from few shops I spoke with, they are hit and miss. I suppose if one can do the labor of replacing the battery, it might be worth the risk, but then it's also risk to one's life with these high voltage batteries.

SparkevBlogspot,
I have a contracted lease to pay and with my security clearance to maintain it doesn't make sense to be breaking contracts and/or damage my credit. The Fusion and the Spark IMO are "super" hybrids with their large battery packs and they don't take the abuse of multiple-rapid daily cycles that the smaller hybrid battery packs do. I'm quite sure that I will not kill the battery during the 3 year lease period, but as you say, Battery life would be a deciding factor should I choose to purchase at the end of the lease. I say now that I have no intention to buy my Fusion but options and situations change over time. Glad that I worked in some choices/options for the future with my current deal. I would recommend a "rebuilt" battery pack with a warranty. It would be very rare indeed if all the cells failed at once. If that was the case the BMS would have a serious problem
SparkevBlogspot said:
stevon said:
8 year warranty on battery and electrical drivetrain components.
My Prius battery died about a year after warranty expired. Car makers seem to know exactly when it'll fail. After finding out the cost of replacing the battery, I gave up on all hybrids, hence SparkEV. That's why I recommend you dump it before the warranty expires. It might be true with BEV, too, although lack of aging gas engine to worry about is far easier with BEV.

Lots of people talk about used batteries, but from few shops I spoke with, they are hit and miss. I suppose if one can do the labor of replacing the battery, it might be worth the risk, but then it's also risk to one's life with these high voltage batteries.

stevon said:
SparkevBlogspot,

Not to mention the battery pack is quite heavy even if you don't get zapped!

Back