Anyone interested in custom made lowering springs?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nashco said:
Casualsurfer said:
I would think 280F/260R could work for my DD/spirited driving needs and kill off the squat and dive.

Sounds like you're making some pretty big assumptions based on other cars. To be clear, the front and rear suspension are very different styles. The front is a typical strut. The rear is a beam axle. Our car also has way more weight bias to the rear than a typical FWD car because of the battery weight. From the factory, the rear spring rate is significantly higher than the front spring rate (something like 50% higher). My modified suspension is running approximately 280 lb/in front springs (what comes with the Megan Racing kit, 5 kg/mm) and 325 lb/in (Eibach) rear springs.

To be clear, the $300-400 estimate is for a set of 4 springs? And there's no additional setup or tooling fees? Can you clarify what you mean by "installed height" measurement? Sounds like you're wanting to know the spring length when the suspension is at rest, presumably with the car at curb weight. I can't help with this one, since my suspension is already modified.

Bryce

Hi Bryce, this is the kind of info I'm looking for, if our cars do have a rear weight bias then maybe your setup is the way to go - 280F/325R. I have zero idea about the weight distribution and stock spring rates, so if you have the info, please do share. Also I will pay for shipping of your springs to the Bettes location in CA, please PM me with your info so I can arrange pickup once we have the installed height portion figured out. Once Bettes receives the springs, they'll put it in a spring tester and compress to figure out the load & spring rate and go from there to design.

As for installed height, I've clarified with Bettes, and it's exactly as you said, the car at rest with stock suspension. I think Norton's suggestion is good, I'll check and see if I can find a place with a drive-on lift. If not perhaps one of the members here may be able to find one nearby. I'll push forward with this, and hopefully we can get 5 owners signed up for it.

Currently I have:
Casualsurfer
Nashco (Bryce)
Norton
sTeeve (Bob K)
(open?)

Anyone else interested?

solder said:
Casualsurfer said:
Anyone else interested?
How hard would these be to install? If the answer is "not too bad", I'm in.

It's an all day job for an entry level DIY person and will require basic hand tools, jack, and stands plus one or two tools many people probably don't have but are readily available at local stores. You'll need to take it to an alignment shop afterwards to get a front end alignment. Alternatively, you can pay any local shop to do it, I'd estimate a professional shop will charge a few hours labor plus the alignment cost.

It's not bad if you like wrenching or have a friend you trust that does. If you don't like wrenching, then you're best paying a shop a few hundred bucks for the install. If you have a lease, you can either return it to stock when done or take your chances that the dealer won't even notice a subtle drop when you return it.

Bryce

Update: I took the Spark to a local tuning shop for the height measurements. For anyone who might want to do this on their own later, the installed height is 7.75" front and 8.25" rear.

I will send Bryce the UPS shippers this weekend, big thanks again to Bryce for helping. I will contact Bettes about the shipment and see what they find on their end.

Now we have 6 people. I will find out what the final quote is, and figure out how Bettes want to be paid. I'm inclined to ask them to take the payments from us directly, so you pay for your own shipping and such, but I'm not sure if they are willing to do so.

Finally the local shop I went to said they can potentially fab a custom rear sway bar, I will be the guinea pig and report back.

I'm in. I would hope that Bettes would be OK with everyone putting in with them and when they get 5 or 6 or 7, they agree to the cost.

-Patrick

Casual,

Now that you mentioned a rear anti-sway bar, I'm really interested !!

But to repeat, put me in the 'Wait and See' folder....

I can see an adjustable sway bar where the link connection to the bar can be moved for and aft for more or less force.
You and the shop can figure out what the car needs. Bryce could really help with this !!

Quick update:

Nashco will help us with sending the stock springs sample to Bettes next week. I'm paying for the freight cost out of pocket.

Bettes indicated they won't be able to take the orders individually, so here's a dilemma: you can choose to trust me and send me the money beforehand, or I can risk my money first by paying a few grand up front and charge you a percentage to cover my financial risk, I may even buy a few more sets and sell it to others at a later date.

What do you guys suggest?

Current confirmed list:
Casualsurfer
Nashco (Bryce)
Rensupreme
Pcarrick
sTeeve (Bob K(

Maybe:
Norton
Solder

I don't expect anybody to carry debt on this endeavor. If we pay you with paypal or similar, we can always get a refund later if the deal doesn't materialize as long as it is within X days of the deal. That being the case, we'd need to agree on the payment method and pay at the moment the supplier needs paid so the springs are made and shipped within that X days.

For those on the "maybe" list, it sounds like this supplier won't make and ship these in single quantities. It sounds like it will be important to clarify their minimum order quantity to figure out of those maybes should be a yes or no.

Bryce

Nashco said:
I don't expect anybody to carry debt on this endeavor. If we pay you with paypal or similar, we can always get a refund later if the deal doesn't materialize as long as it is within X days of the deal. That being the case, we'd need to agree on the payment method and pay at the moment the supplier needs paid so the springs are made and shipped within that X days.

For those on the "maybe" list, it sounds like this supplier won't make and ship these in single quantities. It sounds like it will be important to clarify their minimum order quantity to figure out of those maybes should be a yes or no.

Bryce

This kind of sucks because I'm all the way on the east coast and Betts is in CA, which means the entire shipment comes east, and goes west again where most of Spark EV drivers are.

Any other participants want to chime in?

Casualsurfer said:
This kind of sucks because I'm all the way on the east coast and Betts is in CA, which means the entire shipment comes east, and goes west again where most of Spark EV drivers are.

Patrick and I are practically neighbors in Portland, which is already 2 out of 5 on the committed group. If Betts wants to ship the bulk to me, I can split up the order and re-ship as necessary (as long as everybody covers the shipping costs, obviously). This would also give me first crack at the springs, so we can install them on Patrick's car and check the fitment before shipping the rest of the order out in case there are any issues.

Bryce

Nashco said:
Casualsurfer said:

Patrick and I are practically neighbors in Portland, which is already 2 out of 5 on the committed group. If Betts wants to ship the bulk to me, I can split up the order and re-ship as necessary (as long as everybody covers the shipping costs, obviously). This would also give me first crack at the springs, so we can install them on Patrick's car and check the fitment before shipping the rest of the order out in case there are any issues.

Bryce

Thank you Bryce, I'll have Betts send the springs to you then. I can send you my own UPS shipping label, and I appreciate your offer to help split the shipments for us.

For other members: You can go to UPS.com and create your own shipping label and work with Nashco (Bryce) on your shipment.

Just an FYI: The stock springs are ready to be shipped to Betts for testing. I'll report back on status as it becomes available. Thanks again to Nashco for offering the stock springs for testing, we couldn't do this without his generous support.

Casualsurfer said:
Nashco said:
Casualsurfer said:

Bryce

Thank you Bryce, I'll have Betts send the springs to you then. I can send you my own UPS shipping label, and I appreciate your offer to help split the shipments for us.

For other members: You can go to UPS.com and create your own shipping label and work with Nashco (Bryce) on your shipment.

Just an FYI: The stock springs are ready to be shipped to Betts for testing. I'll report back on status as it becomes available. Thanks again to Nashco for offering the stock springs for testing, we couldn't do this without his generous support.

I'm still in for a set.

-Bob K.

Nashco said:
Casualsurfer said:

Bryce

I am also in Portland!
dibs dibs dibs

solder said:
How much will the final springs, plus any other necessary parts, come out to?

Once the springs sample arrives at Betts, and we agree on a spring rate, and the final tally of participants, I will get a final quote. There shouldn't be any "parts", just the springs, and whatever cost for shipping from Oregon. I don't anticipate this to be more than $400/set, based on what Betts told me.

Back