Battery charging problems

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Reciently I have had to reset the 240v charger to charge my spark. It occurs on several different types of chargers so I am led to believe there is a problem with the car charger. Have anyone experience a similar problem? When I first plug the car in the green light on the car blinks. If I turn the charger off and back on again the light goes to a solid green and charges the car.

WEH said:
Reciently I have had to reset the 240v charger to charge my spark. It occurs on several different types of chargers so I am led to believe there is a problem with the car charger. Have anyone experience a similar problem? When I first plug the car in the green light on the car blinks. If I turn the charger off and back on again the light goes to a solid green and charges the car.

Do you have delayed charging enabled - that is the behavior when it is enabled.

The "insert - remove - insert" procedure is the documented way of overriding the delay. (page 5-27 in the manual.)

kevin

WEH said:
Reciently I have had to reset the 240v charger to charge my spark. It occurs on several different types of chargers so I am led to believe there is a problem with the car charger.

The issue is a lack of understanding of the car's designed behavior. The Spark EV will begin charging immediately if you apply power, remove it, then reconnect it without having booted up the driver interface.

You should visit the charging options in the settings screens and verify they are set as you wish.

WEH said:
Your terminology is confusing. The external 100 to 240 volt unit you plug into for L1 and L2 AC charging is an EVSE, NOT a charger. For these cases, the charger is on-board the car.

Please see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630.

WEH,
When the car acts in unexpected ways, I find it helpful to RTFM. :cool:

You can set your car to 'Charge immediately' from the phone app, if getting into the car's menu is too hard.
It does sound like you have it set to a different mode, like 'Departure Time'.

I have had situations where I had to cycle power to my home L2 EVSE. It somehow loses it's brains/logic. Maybe a dip in the grid voltage does it.
Once it gave me a check engine light, which Onstar gave me the code and title of, "HV charging system...."
I had the exact same code with my Volt and knew that it goes away on its own after 2 or 3 charge cycles.

Back