Saying goodbye to my Spark EV and hello Volt

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcmann

Well I reached the end of my allotted mileage on my 2014 Spark EV so I traded it in on on a new 2016 Chevy Volt:

image_zpsnpbsbwvg.jpeg

I really enjoyed the Spark but had too many times where range was an issue and since the Tesla Model III nor the Chevy Bolt are available I decided on the 2016 Volt. So far so good! :p

Congrats ! You'll love it!
You may be getting the same EV driving experience with the Volt as you did with the Spark EV, depending on your driving habits.
Only you'll be able to take off on a road trip at a moment's notice and never stress about 'Having to plug in'.

I did the opposite.
I had a Volt first, as a stepping stone, and then a Spark EV.

I can do all my around town driving, including 82 mile round trips to the airport, because my town has 13 DCFC and >1000 L2's, all free.
I have a gasser waiting at home, but I've used it 5 times, for weekend getaways, in my 8 months of Spark EV ownership.
These 10-15 minute pit stops at DCFC are a nuisance, but then, >8k miles for free is the trade off.

"so I traded it in on on a new 2016 Chevy Volt:"

Traitor! ;-)

I've used my gas car once in last 9 months, and that was to tow a trailer for a tree. Come to think of it, I haven't been to a gas station since getting SparkEV as that gas car trip didn't require fueling. Gee, I wonder what it's like to go to a gas station. :lol:

Way to go!

There's one that color a few blocks away, I like the look, especially the way the shadow on the front looks, I don't think I saw that bit on the side before.

Have had my Volt for 4.5 years, the Sparkler for 1.5.

http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/81

See the tapering off on the mileage chart since the Sparkler came aboard? Ole 3939 only gets a few shopping trips a week now, plus any really long ones. We take the Sparkler as much as possible, but we are nowhere close to our allotted 10K/year...

http://www.voltstats.net/SparkEV/Stats/Details/5397

There's an interesting flat spot near the top, which was a long vacation, but it's actually back to looking linear again after a lot of DCFC use last summer.

When the Sparkler's lease is up it will be hard to decide between a new Volt and the Bolt..

I did it the other way around: Volt first, liked it so much, we bought a Spark EV, too.

Now, I drive the Spark on my short commute. When I get home, if there is an errand to run, I'll ask my wife: "Any juice left in the Volt, or should I use the Spark?"

The Volt comes in real handy when I head to the mountains. Spark just couldn't go the full distance.

Just said goodbye to the Sparkler yesterday, looks pretty sad sitting in the lease return lot at the dealer. Long story short: BoltaDrome!

https://www.voltstats.net/BoltEV/Stats/Details/9509

We looked at several used Spark EV's on our way out of the back lot, we may just have another one in our future...

markcmann said:
Well I reached the end of my allotted mileage on my 2014 Spark EV so I traded it in on on a new 2016 Chevy Volt:

image_zpsnpbsbwvg.jpeg

I really enjoyed the Spark but had too many times where range was an issue and since the Tesla Model III nor the Chevy Bolt are available I decided on the 2016 Volt. So far so good! :p
u r a traitor sir.

evboy said:
markcmann said:

image_zpsnpbsbwvg.jpeg

u r a traitor sir.
Ha, that's funny! I went the other way from a Volt to a Spark EV.
I got tired of having the engine fire up a 1/2 mile from my destination and let's not rehash ERDDT.. :oops:
I charge once a day at work for free and haven't missed doing the Quik-Trip stops and oil changes once.. :D

You can hack the temp probe to keep it from happening, but then the on-screen temp in incorrect.
It is claimed it is needed to meet federal defrosting standards, blah, blah,,,
But the heater element it the same as the Spark EV. :?:

And worse,, it never warmed the engine all the way up. It just cycles the engine on and off just enough to provide ~153* coolant. It was a gas burning water heater.

But it was a great Road Trip car. So take that Sparkers... :lol:

Seems like a really strange design to me..... imho.
Does this only happen when you turn on the heater?
Or when it is a certain temp outside?
Is it the older gen volt and/or the new one as well?

Back