Oregon: EV charging spots protected

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen this.
A big ugly pickup in one of the 4 EV spots at the far corner of an almost empty parking lot.
Bubbah makes a statement...
No way was I going to leave a note....

So, who you gonna call?

Not 911, it's not an emergency. Is there another number that links to the local police?

In general - you can call information and ask for "police non-emergency phone number please".

In Oregon - I believe there is a law where you can file a report and have someone ticketed (as a private citizen).

I assume it will take some time before signs go up informing folks of the law and the fine ($250). - until then, we probably need to make up some flyers to put on folks windows to "educate them".

jeff

In Portland we have a separate city department for parking enforcement, they tend to be responsive. Police non emergency is another resource. Cities often have web sites with this type of information

The single CCS station at my local Fred's (went in about 3 months ago) has been "ICED" several times, although I think some of that was because they took what used to be a regular parking spot and put a charger there, plus the sign that says "Electric Vehicle Charging ONLY" is pretty small and low. It happened more frequently when the station first went in.

Lately, though, there have been Nissan Leafs parking there - it is a CCS station, Leafs don't have the right port and, AFAIK, there is no adapter. In all cases the charger cable was still in the station. Could be that it is a form of protest for being left out of the charging equation - really, would it have been that hard to include a ChaDeMo cable?

Also - this is a Chargepoint station, and it sets the parking brake during charging and when the charge ends the parking brake is still on. Do all CCS chargers do this?

ReddyKilowatt said:
>...Lately, though, there have been Nissan Leafs parking there - it is a CCS station, Leafs don't have the right port ....

>>Also - this is a Chargepoint station, and it sets the parking brake during charging and when the charge ends the parking brake is still on. Do all CCS chargers do this?
>Funny ! Now we need a new word... :lol:

>>Yes, It's part of the protocol.

ReddyKilowatt said:
lately, though, there have been Nissan Leafs parking there
You got ICED with Leaf! For me, this happens a lot with Teslas. Their excuse? "This is EV parking"

But with dual head (Chademo + CCS), I get Leafed (waiting for Leaf using DCFC at less than 40kW, even at 60%) or Leafracked (waiting for Leaf using DCFC at 6kW or less, sometimes even 2kW). I only need 10 minutes at 45+kW to get home, yet I'm waiting 30 minutes for Leaf charging at 6kW or less? They could simply use L2, and they'd charge at same speed, I'd be done in 10 minutes to yield to other EV, yet, no such courtesy even when I point it out. There was a time when I was getting Leafracked on almost every DCFC session, and I bitched about it in my blog.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/10/jerks-all-around-us-iced-leafed.html

I don't know if it's just coincidence, my bitching, or "Love letter to Nissan Leaf DCFC users" I wrote, but it has gotten better. I wish all EV can charge as quick as SparkEV, so there won't be as much wait. Unfortunately, Bolt will take close to an hour at 50kW for 80% (almost 2 hours at 25kW). While Bolt (hopefully) won't have severe charge taper like Leaf, I dread having to wait for Bolt at DCFC.

ReddyKilowatt said:
really, would it have been that hard to include a ChaDeMo cable?
BMW's 25 kW CCS costs under $10K, Nissan's Chademo only unit cost under $15K (I think 50kW unit), but I read dual head ABB units cost close to $50K. If true, adding dual head would be much more expensive.

Back