Idaho Buyer looking for a Lease Deal

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassiehill18

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has had luck finding a good lease deal as an out-of-state buyer. I live in Boise, and the Spark EV is not available here. Luckily, I'm close enough to OR that if I find a good deal I can drive the car home, stopping at charging stations along the way. The problem I'm running into is that the few lease deals I have found are only available to Oregon residents.

I would like to lease rather than buy because I pay very little in taxes each year, and I would like to make the most of the $7,500 available tax credit. If I lease, then the dealer can absorb this cost, and the buy-out at the end of the lease can consider this credit. If I buy, then I pay a whole lot more for the same car, so buying is not an option that I'm going to consider.

Please share with me any deals that you notice that are not limited to Oregon residents. Are there any buyers from Boise or Idaho in general that have purchased this car, and how did you decide to go about doing this?

Thanks so much for your input.

Don't you visit your "Aunt Jane" all the time, who lives in Oregon?
Don't you sort of 'live there' when you visit her?
Wouldn't any friendly OR. address do for a lease?

You need to research lease vs. buy further. That $7500 is always part of the deal. I don't think you have any say in the matter.

What about buying a used one and owning it?

Either way, you won't be sorry!

I don't actually know anyone in OR whose address I could use. You're probably right, though, any address would work. I only live 1 hour from the boarder, it seems close enough that we should just have the cars for sale here in Boise!

I have looked into the tax credit, and what I've found is that it is up to $7,500, and if you don't pay that much in taxes, then the remainder is essentially lost. Did you have a different experience with this? I would prefer to buy, but not if it means "giving up" that credit. Is there a way to buy the car, and also to have the dealer absorb that cost and sell the car to me for $7,500 less than MSRP? If so, I have not yet found it. Any tips would definitely be appreciated.

Looks like you did purchase out of state, how did you go about that? Did you get it shipped to you?

cassiehill18 said:
...Looks like you did purchase out of state, how did you go about that? Did you get it shipped to you?
Just like buying any other used car out of state. Nothing is final until I check it out and drive it. All the warranties were transferable. Got it at a bargain price, imo. Others have found better bargains.
I borrowed an SUV and rented a Uhaul dolly for $125 one way. Spent 2 days of my time on this 1600 mile road trip. I'm really glad I bought this car !!

The lease prices are extremely attractive, and doubly so if you don't get the full $7500 tax credit on your income taxes. All you need to buy or take on the lease is an Oregon address when getting the vehicle from an Oregon dealer, I'm sure you're clever enough to figure that out. I live in Oregon, and others on this forum do as well.

Bryce

Nashco said:
The lease prices are extremely attractive, and doubly so if you don't get the full $7500 tax credit on your income taxes. All you need to buy or take on the lease is an Oregon address when getting the vehicle from an Oregon dealer, I'm sure you're clever enough to figure that out. I live in Oregon, and others on this forum do as well.

Bryce

I'm not sure it's as simple as just having an Oregon address. I believe you must also title and register the vehicle in Oregon.

elpwr said:
Nashco said:

Bryce

I'm not sure it's as simple as just having an Oregon address. I believe you must also title and register the vehicle in Oregon.

Title and registration only require an address as well. They're not doing a home appraisal to make sure you're actually living there...you're just getting a car, not adopting a kid. ;)

Bryce

Nashco said:
elpwr said:
Nashco said:

Bryce

Title and registration only require an address as well. They're not doing a home appraisal to make sure you're actually living there...you're just getting a car, not adopting a kid. ;)

Bryce

Many states, including mine, require that a resident bringing a car permanently into the state must title and tag it (in state) within 90 days. This would immediately result in double payment of the registration/title fees. And other issues are frequently associated with this re: the lease holder.

In spite of your flippant response, I can assure you it is not always easy, or even possible, to legally arrange for an out-of-state lease for a 3-state new Spark EV.

I would have preferred to buy or lease a new Spark EV but was unable to. The only legal and expedient option was to buy used.

I'm sure if you want to go 'round and 'round on what is legal, expected, preferred, lowest cost, fastest, easiest, etc. this could be done. However, many people have vehicles licensed in different places than they spend a lot of their time for one reason or another, which is relevant to the original post. There are no checks in the system to prevent such a thing.

I will reiterate that the dealer only wants to see an Oregon (or CA/MD) address when you're taking care of the paperwork, which is so GM knows they're getting the CARB ZEV credits associated with that car sale. The dealer doesn't care what happens after that, and there's nothing requiring you to maintain that address for the car lease or registration after the sale is complete. If the original poster is specifically wanting a lease rather than buying used, this should be useful information.

Buying used is certainly an available option, in which case the tax credit will have already been claimed by the previous owner and of course the typical used car search for condition/price applies.

Bryce

Back