Charging Interupt Override Occurred

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDRMorgan

I started charging my 2014 Spark EV 2LT (no DCFC) with the L1 EVSE (8-amp setting) this evening and after a few minutes the car's horn started beeping and charging stopped. This happened a number of times. The last time I checked the dash display and it stated "A Charging Interrupt Override has Occurred". The top green light on the L1 EVSE went out and the bottom light lit up red.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here? I will try my L2 EVSE tomorrow and I also have another L1 EVSE I can try.

9 Feb follow up: The problem occurred when using a 25 ft 16-amp rated extension cord that had been working for months without any problems. Charging current was set to 8 amps. The problem went away when the L1 EVSE was connected directly to the wall outlet. Tried another extension cord with the same results. L2 EVSE worked fine too.

nikwax said:
problem with the outlet?
No. I plugged the EVSE directly into the outlet and the EVSE worked fine. I even tried a second outlet and it worked too. It is only when I connect the EVSE to the end of a 25 ft extension cord, which is capable of handling 16 amps, that the EVSE will not work. This just started happening after a few months of using the same extension cord without any problems. I tried a different extension cord and it failed too.

Now, with the extension cord connected to the outlet rated at 20 amps, when I connect the EVSE to the extension cord, the RED light comes on and stays on and the EVSE will not work. Plug the EVSE directly into the outlet and the GREEN light comes on and the EVSE charges just fine.

I have a second L1 EVSE that I will try today.

10 Feb: I took the new L1 EVSE out of my 2015 Spark EV, hooked it up using the same 25 ft. extension cord, and it worked just fine. Conclusion - there is something wrong with my L1 EVSE from my 2014 Spark EV. The 2014 Spark EV was purchased used from a dealer and the L1 EVSE provided with the car has a label on it indicating it is from a VOLT.

Back