What does it mean ?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abhisharma said:
So, I just bought a new Sparky like a week ago and something I don't understand.

First, this MPGe and than Miles remaining.

Sometime it show 101 miles remaining, is it a flaw ?

Check pics

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0OxZ2iq_40Qc3dmZGkybEdXRnc&usp=sharing
Welcome to the SPARK EV family. There is a lot you will have to learn about the care and feeding of "Sparkie" and it is nothing but FUN. The car's computer is constantly estimating your remaining range according to your driving habits, use of A/C or heater and the charge remaining in the battery. If you have a heavy foot you can expect lower mileage numbers. If you have a light foot you will see higher mileage numbers. If you make heavy use of the air conditioner or heater, you will see a significant impact to your mileage remaining value. The car's computer maintains a database of some your most recent driving and it uses this data to estimate your mileage after a full charge. The database is constantly updated as you drive. You will find heavy use of the air conditioner or the heater will affect your mileage in a major way. There are ways to minimize the impact. You just have to learn how. On this blog you will find just about everything you need to know about Sparkie.

MPGe is a way to express the electrical energy consumed by the car in terms of equivalent MPG for a gasoline powered vehicle. MPGe means miles per gallon equivalent. There is a simple mathematical formula for making this calculation.

The Spark EV is ABSOLUTELY FUN TO DRIVE! ENJOY IT!

A lot of EV owners, (any sort), call that display the Guess-O-Meter, the GOM.
The green battery icon display, with the green bars, shows State of Charge of the battery, SOC.
The GOM is just a guess of how many miles you MAY get on this SOC today. It is only factoring in how you used the car the last few days.

It has no way of knowing how you will be using the car this day.
Like if you load up the car with 3 of your fattest friends and head up the into the mountains at 85 mph with the heater on full blast.
You may only get half the GOM with this condition.

You'll see the GOM adjust as you are driving, especially if you are driving different than you normal driving.

Enjoy !!! You won't be sorry!

Thanks a lot MrDRMorgan and NORTON.

Those are really good info.

I appreciate both of your response and of course it's a fun little machine. I am all gearing up to change tires and drive on Sport's mode ;)

Thanks,
Abhi

abhisharma said:
Thanks a lot MrDRMorgan and NORTON.

Those are really good info.

I appreciate both of your response and of course it's a fun little machine. I am all gearing up to change tires and drive on Sport's mode ;)

Thanks,
Abhi
People on this blog are more than willing to help with any question you have. Almost exactly a year ago I was where you are today and I still have more to learn. What is nice is I do not have any concerns about range anxiety. I learned the car's limits and how to use the car in various hot and cold weather conditions. A year from now you too will be quite comfortable with the Spark EV. I have a 2014 Spark EV 2LT without the quick charge option and a 2015 Spark EV 2LT with the quick charge option. I only use the quick charge option when my destination to too far to go to and return on a single charge. Otherwise, I charge at home using a Bosch L2 EVSE which I got for "free" from Bosch and GM. I think that offer is still available.

Depending on how one drives it, Toyota’s Prius Plug-In can go a few miles farther than its U.S. Environmental Protection Agency rating, but officially it can be expected to travel 11 miles in electric-only mode.

This falls short of the “up to 15 miles” at speeds up to 62 mph estimated after consulting with Toyota for our full review.

Although not an apples-to-apples comparison, the Plug-In Prius is often weighed against the Chevy Volt, which is marketed as an “extended-range electric vehicle.” With its larger battery pack, the domestically produced rival from GM is intended to stay in all-electric mode at speeds of up to 100 mph for an EPA-estimated 35 miles distance – though this too can vary greatly depending on usage and ambient temperature.

As mentioned, plug-in Prius test drivers have routinely seen over 11 miles electric range, especially when driving it gingerly.

And where the Prius Plug-In’s EPA efficiency ratings begin to outdo the Volt is in other drive modes. In “EV Mode,” it’s rated at 95 mile per gallon equivalent, which a tad above a fully charged Volt’s estimated 94 MPGe. In hybrid mode, the EPA says the Prius Plug-In returns 50 mpg combined. This compares very well to the Volt’s 37 mpg combined in gasoline-only mode and means – in the absence of on-the-way recharging facilities – for longer trips the Toyota starts to pay back more.

While the two vehicles are often compared and contrasted based on more metrics than the scope of this brief can consider, in short it is a qualified decision to determine between the two.
gclub

lalacurf121 said:
Depending on how one drives it, Toyota’s Prius Plug-In can go a few miles farther than its U.S. Environmental Protection Agency rating, but officially it can be expected to travel 11 miles in electric-only mode.

This falls short of the “up to 15 miles” at speeds up to 62 mph estimated after consulting with Toyota for our full review.

Although not an apples-to-apples comparison, the Plug-In Prius is often weighed against the Chevy Volt, which is marketed as an “extended-range electric vehicle.” With its larger battery pack, the domestically produced rival from GM is intended to stay in all-electric mode at speeds of up to 100 mph for an EPA-estimated 35 miles distance – though this too can vary greatly depending on usage and ambient temperature.

As mentioned, plug-in Prius test drivers have routinely seen over 11 miles electric range, especially when driving it gingerly.

And where the Prius Plug-In’s EPA efficiency ratings begin to outdo the Volt is in other drive modes. In “EV Mode,” it’s rated at 95 mile per gallon equivalent, which a tad above a fully charged Volt’s estimated 94 MPGe. In hybrid mode, the EPA says the Prius Plug-In returns 50 mpg combined. This compares very well to the Volt’s 37 mpg combined in gasoline-only mode and means – in the absence of on-the-way recharging facilities – for longer trips the Toyota starts to pay back more.

While the two vehicles are often compared and contrasted based on more metrics than the scope of this brief can consider, in short it is a qualified decision to determine between the two.
gclub

For what it is worth: after charging my 2014 Spark EV 2LT 31 times over a 5-month period (Mar 2016 - July 2016), my full charge range only varied from 101 to 112 miles even with some AC usage. Almost of this is in-town driving and I drive in "L" 100% of the time to maximize regeneration.

Back