Sonic EV to cannibalize Spark EV?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not allowed to ask a question ? I was seeking information . I was not making any kind of set in concrete statement .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister said:
I am not allowed to ask a question ? I was seeking information . I was not making any kind of set in concrete statement .

God bless
Wyr

Hi Wyr,

When I first got interested in EVs, I hit the internet and did a lot of reading. When I found this site, I read nearly every single thread in it at least once. There is a vast amount of information here. I highly recommend plunging in and reading as much of it as you can.

Nik

nikwax said:
WyrTwister said:

God bless
Wyr

Hi Wyr,

When I first got interested in EVs, I hit the internet and did a lot of reading. When I found this site, I read nearly every single thread in it at least once. There is a vast amount of information here. I highly recommend plunging in and reading as much of it as you can.

Nik
Excellent suggestion! In May of 2015 I was a Spark EV "Newbie" although I had been following the spark EV since 2013. I found very helpful information on this forum that has helped me understand the care and feeding of the Spark EV. Today, I have a 2015 Spark EV 2LT with the fast-charge option and a 2014 Spark EV 2LT without the fast-charge option. My wife and I find about 95% of our driving is within the single charge range of both cars and we have a Bosch L2 EVSE in our garage to charge both cars. We only use the fast-charge option on our 2015 Spark EV when our destinations are beyond the single charge range of either car. Both cars constantly charge up to 103 - 106 miles of range in mild weather. To be fair, range does drop significantly with heater use and less significantly with AC use. I am 100% satisfied with both cars and see no reason to buy a Chevy Bolt or other longer range EV.

I did not mean to step on anyone's toes . I was reading and trying to use the internet for answers .

The Spark EV looks interesting . If I was in California , I would consider a lease ( if I did not already own the 2015 Sonic ) . But I do not & they are not available in my state , yet .

But , from what you all are saying , it may not be around after 2016 ?

On second thought , the Bolt may essentially be a Sonic EV with another name ?

According to the Chevy link I posted , the Bolt has an ICE & appears to be larger than the Spark EV . So , yes , that may turn out to be essentially a Sonic EV .

I hope to get 6 - 8 years out of our car . By then , who knows what will be available ? And I may need a second vehicle , before then .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister said:
I did not mean to step on anyone's toes . I was reading and trying to use the internet for answers .

The Spark EV looks interesting . If I was in California , I would consider a lease ( if I did not already own the 2015 Sonic ) . But I do not & they are not available in my state , yet .

According to the Chevy link I posted , the Bolt has an ICE & appears to be larger than the Spark EV . So , yes , that may turn out to be essentially a Sonic EV .

I hope to get 6 - 8 years out of our car . By then , who knows what will be available ? And I may need a second vehicle , before then .

Wyr
The Spark EV production is ending in a few months. I recall it was August by one account.

The Bolt EV does not have an ICE (per your link and as widely known among EV forum types like many of us).

The Bolt EV is similar to a Honda Fit in external and internal volume, slightly larger than a Sonic.

WyrTwister said:

God bless
Wyr
Wyr - Keep asking questions. That is how we all learn. From what I have read so far, the Bolt is larger than the Spark EV but slightly smaller than a Leaf in size. The Bolt is NOT a modified Sonic. It is a completely new design from Chevy. It is a pure battery powered vehicle like the Spark EV but it has a larger battery for a range of 200 miles+. I did see in GreenCar Reports that production of the Spark EV is projected to end most likely in August of 2016. As of May 2016, only 5733 Spark EV have been sold in the USA and most of these were in California, Oregon and just recently in Maryland. The powertrain and traction battery in the Spark EV are warranted for 8 years or 100,000 miles. If you do not mind me asking, what is your location?

Check your PM .

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

I am probably wrong . I watched the video the link takes you to & I thought it looked like an ICE in the front of the Bolt . May be the electric motor ?

Does it have a CV transmission ? No transmission ?

Sorry to see the Spark EV go . It comes closer to being an affordable EV for folks in my income bracket .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Check your PM .

http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

I am probably wrong . I watched the video the link takes you to & I thought it looked like an ICE in the front of the Bolt . May be the electric motor ?

Does it have a CV transmission ? No transmission ?

Sorry to see the Spark EV go . It comes closer to being an affordable EV for folks in my income bracket .

God bless
Wyr
I haven't seen one yet but I believe it will have a transmission setup similar to the Spark EV - a single speed transmission with a L setting. EVs do not need a transmission like gasoline powered vehicles. Keep your eye on the used market as 2014 Spark EVs should start coming off of their 3 year leases. I purchased a used 2014 Spark EV 2LT with just 1500 miles on the ODO last August for about $14K. It does not have the quick charge option but that has not been a problem and the car is performing just great.

Right now , I am semi - retired & still drive a company truck at no cost to me . In a few years , when I fully retire , I will loose use of the truck . I may be in the market for a 2nd vehicle .

My Wifey drives the 2015 Sonic .

I might start looking closer at EV's . Possibly a used Spark EV , if I can get my old fat body behind the wheel . The Sonic is none too large inside .........

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

[/quote]
I haven't seen one yet but I believe it will have a transmission setup similar to the Spark EV - a single speed transmission with a L setting. EVs do not need a transmission like gasoline powered vehicles. Keep your eye on the used market as 2014 Spark EVs should start coming off of their 3 year leases. I purchased a used 2014 Spark EV 2LT with just 1500 miles on the ODO last August for about $14K. It does not have the quick charge option but that has not been a problem and the car is performing just great.[/quote]

FYI

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/KL8CL6S08EC400052/2014-chevrolet-spark-ev/

Would probably be a great buy . But right now I can not justify the 2nd car . Although I would kind of like to try one .

It would not have the range to get get it home . :-(

Would have to tow it and our Sonic probably would not be suited to do that , for over 900 miles .

I appreciate the help & info . :)

God bless
Wyr

If you just want to try the car before you buy, you can rent SparkEV for 2 hours at a time for free in Santa Monica. You can even get eVgo's flex plan (one time fee of $5) and try out DCFC (about $10/session). It might make for a good excuse to visit Los Angeles. ;-)

https://www.waivecar.com/

Honestly , that suggestion makes a lot of sense . :)

Problem is , I live about 1100 mikes from L A . :-(

Say I fell in love with it , and bought one . And , according to plugshare.com , once you head east from SoCal , the next fast charge station is in Albuquerque .

I would have no way to get it home , except tow it .

I question whether our Sonic has the weight or the ponies to do the job . And , it has an automatic transmission . I would hate to fry the tranny , towing a Spark EV . Especially through the desert .

So , I do really appreciate your very sensible advice and information . It just so happens it does not work out very well in my case .

Now , if we were talking about a car that had an ICE range extender engine , it would be a different situation .

Thank you , :)
Wyr
God bless

WyrTwister said:
Honestly , that suggestion makes a lot of sense . :)

Problem is , I live about 1100 mikes from L A . :-(

Say I fell in love with it , and bought one . And , according to plugshare.com , once you head east from SoCal , the next fast charge station is in Albuquerque .

I would have no way to get it home , except tow it .

I question whether our Sonic has the weight or the ponies to do the job . And , it has an automatic transmission . I would hate to fry the tranny , towing a Spark EV . Especially through the desert .

So , I do really appreciate your very sensible advice and information . It just so happens it does not work out very well in my case .

Now , if we were talking about a car that had an ICE range extender engine , it would be a different situation .

Thank you , :)
Wyr
God bless
Chevy Volt! Check out this article: http://www.greencarreports.com/sponsored?prx_t=_yoCAMBoHA3ScKA

Have you thought of shipping it? Would be a few hundred dollars I'd guess. When I bought mine somebody was doing just that.

WyrTwister said:
Problem is , I live about 1100 mikes from L A
I'm assuming you live in areas without much DCFC. If so, SparkEV isn't all that great. It's got terrific acceleration for the money, but the range of 80 miles (or about 35 miles from home) will be severely limiting, especially if you live in areas without much traffic.

Traffic slowdowns make SparkEV whole lot better. That's why I get 5.2 mi/kWh battery to wheels on average after 10,000 miles of driving. That's about 150 MPGe just going by energy efficiency, not going by money out of pocket. If I'm stuck in LA traffic, that gets whole lot better, sometimes approaching 200 MPGe. (LA traffic SUCKS!)

If you need something now, the new Chevy Volt will be your best bet. 2017 Volt is even quicker than SparkEV, though lot more expensive. But for me, no more hybrids (aka, something with gas engine + electric)! Prius really burned me.

[/quote]
Chevy Volt! Check out this article: http://www.greencarreports.com/sponsored?prx_t=_yoCAMBoHA3ScKA[/quote]

I am way too cheap and the Volt is way too much money . And on a limited income ( semi-retired ) which will get smaller when I fully retire .

But , Thanks for the info & suggestion . :)

Wyr
God bless

Neon said:
Have you thought of shipping it? Would be a few hundred dollars I'd guess. When I bought mine somebody was doing just that.

Thought of it , but figured it would be cost prohibitive ?

Thanks , :)
Wyr
God bless

SparkevBlogspot said:
WyrTwister said:
Problem is , I live about 1100 mikes from L A
I'm assuming you live in areas without much DCFC. If so, SparkEV isn't all that great. It's got terrific acceleration for the money, but the range of 80 miles (or about 35 miles from home) will be severely limiting, especially if you live in areas without much traffic.

Traffic slowdowns make SparkEV whole lot better. That's why I get 5.2 mi/kWh battery to wheels on average after 10,000 miles of driving. That's about 150 MPGe just going by energy efficiency, not going by money out of pocket. If I'm stuck in LA traffic, that gets whole lot better, sometimes approaching 200 MPGe. (LA traffic SUCKS!)

If you need something now, the new Chevy Volt will be your best bet. 2017 Volt is even quicker than SparkEV, though lot more expensive. But for me, no more hybrids (aka, something with gas engine + electric)! Prius really burned me.

There are zero DCFC stations in 35 - 45 miles . Two public charge stations inside 10 miles . And two between the 10 mile and 35 - 45 mile distance . In different directions . I am guessing that all the public charging stations are Level 2 if they are not designated as DCFC ( on plugshare.com ) ?

So , yes , not the best location for a 80 mile EV . Would strictly be an in town car . The upcoming Bolt is suppose to do 200 miles . That would be a mostly an in town car , for us . Most of the out of town destinations , for us , are a minimum of 2 - 2-1/2 hours away and no DCFC when you get there .

We have family about 6 - 7 hours away and only one DCFC when you get there . 9 - 10 hours away and the first DCFC's 6 hours away then some DCFC stations when you get there . And a few more in between , if you go out of the way .

To my knowledge , Chevy dealers in my state can not get Spark EV's & Volts , new . And , really , for good reason , unless you lived in the major metropolitan areas . Very little infrastructure to support them .

Traffic gets worse every year , but nothing like you have . If it was , I would seriously consider moving .

I do not NEED a second vehicle , our red Sonic is OK & hope to get 6 - 8 years out of it . So , I certainly do not NEED an EV . Just curious and to be honest , might consider buying one , if situations were different .

When I need a car , again , I would not have a big problem with a Prius , for the right price . Or a plug in Hybrid . Or something like a Volt with a ICE range extender . But all , for the right price .

Another issue I have not addressed , I am not sure if my Wifey would be OK with plugging & un-plugging a car , before and after every trip ? As it is , we ( mostly me ) usually fill the Sonic up every week for less than $ 20 . The rest of the time , she just gets in and goes , with a occasional glance at the gas gauge .

What kind of problem did you have with a Prius ? I have in town cousins that have had one for several years ( since the cash for cars ) and they seem happy with it ?

God bless
Wyr

If there's no Volt nor SparkEV available in dealers in your area, you probably shouldn't get one, even shipped. If anything should go wrong and you need service, you may have to ship the car again. That could add thousands of dollars, wiping out any potential savings.

SparkEV isn't like a golf cart where batteries are readily available and any joe with a wrench could "fix". Almost 400 volt batteries could kill you and the extensive liquid cooling in battery/electronics with special coolant and sophisticated software makes service all but impossible outside of dealers.

I think the best for you is to just wait until EV are available in your area. Without dealer service and DCFC, you'll end up hating EV if you get it now. It can be done as some have, but it is a huge risk I wouldn't take, especially if on retirement income.

Lack of dealership support is a very valid concern . I honestly appreciate you bringing it up . Thank you . :)

I have been in the electrical field , one way or another since Hector was a pup . :)

I have dealt with 480 VAC for pretty much that whole time , again , off & on . I respect electricity , but treat is as other risked , to be managed . Not feared .

Two of the coolants for a Spark EV are DEX-COOL . Same as the engine coolant in our Chevy Sonic . Have not determined id DEX-COOL is used for the battery ?

Honestly the electronics and their software / firmware would worry me more . Difficult to shade tree that . :-(

Does any one know if the Bolt will be cheaper than the Volt . Will it be distributed in all 50 states ? Or just a few , like the Volt and Spark EV ?

As far as dealers , again , as long as the vehicle is in warranty , I look at it as , if the local dealer can not work on it , it is GM's problem to make whatever arrangements needed to get the work accomplished . I also realize , it may not work out that way , real world . At least , not the first try . But I would not hesitate to contact GM's corporate customer service / satisfaction department .

You are 100% correct , my location is not prime territory for EV's of any make or model . I am just exploring interesting ideas & products . Until I fully retire and loose the use of the company truck , we have no real need for a second vehicle . Gasoline or EV .

Thanks again , :)

Wyr
God bless

Back