Just got into an accident...

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Jeffrey! Glad to hear you are ok. Keep us updated on how they proceed with replacing your car and any investigation into the aftermath of the accident.

As far as what will happen to the car? Will probably be sold off at auction unless GM decides to buy it from the insurance company to do research on it..

My insurance is handling the payoff with the bank still so not sure what the status of the vehicle is. I know it's in their inspection lot, I tried to locate it with the RemoteLink App (that's a new feature by the way starting from 6/30) but the car couldn't be located so I guess it's either underground or indoors.

I imagine that a large part of the $29,000 repair estimate was replacing the battery, because in the process of moving the vehicle they were dragging it on the battery. I'm sure the battery is salvageable but they didn't want to take any risks.

After calling the bank and finding out I no longer needed to make payments, I ended up getting another Spark EV in Titanium with the DC Fast Charge option (but I'll probably never use it unless they have more stations closer to where I live or in LA). I didn't want to wait for the 2015 plus Titanium would no longer be available.

As far as the CVRP rebate goes, the CEC gave me two options, either they were just going to carry over the original rebate and not send me one for the new car, or I could refund them a prorated difference and they would send me a check for the new car, I took the second option.

Looks like chevy has a casting issue that can't take the added weight in the back plus shear, thats kinda scary if we go putting these things thru turns at higher speed with sticky tires.

refinerysmells said:
Looks like chevy has a casting issue that can't take the added weight in the back plus shear, thats kinda scary if we go putting these things thru turns at higher speed with sticky tires.

Not an issue. I've raced mine and driven it with a modified suspension more than anybody else in the world without issues so far. As has been discussed, there's likely more to the story that we never got here, suspensions catastrophically failing without severe trauma would be considered a pretty significant design flaw. ;)

Bryce

cwerdna said:
AGES ago (way before the GM BK), I'd seen an ep of Behind Closed Doors with Joan Lunden (http://tv.msn.com/tv/series-episodes/behind-closed-doors-with-joan-lunden.1/?sb=1&si=16&ipp=25) where they went behind the scenes at GM. During part of it, they showed some of the testing facilities at GM. I saw some fairly extreme stuff like cars intentionally being spun out or driving up and over curb at speed (that ran parallel to the road). Think driving along at 40+ mph, drifting slightly to the right, having one side end up on the sidewalk, then coming back onto the road. Boom boom! Boom boom!

You'd think that the Spark EV underwent similar testing... And, if it passed but a production car fails, it points to some manufacturing change or defect.
Ok, Today, noticed Joan Lunden put up the segment I was talking about on June 29, 2016.

It's at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnwki1NbMxY. Skip to 1:01. I haven't watched this in ages. If nothing else, 0:30 to to ~1:25 is worth watching. I plan to rewatch all of this soon/tonight.

Back