Tire advice

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernSpark

I am looking for some advice on buying a new set of all-season tires. There are a few other threads that I have scanned through, but have not been able to come to a consensus on what tires would be best. I also have a question on whether I should just stick to the stock spec with 185s up front, and 195s in the rear, or 185s/195s all around? I also do realize that going stock will mean less choice in brands/models.

I do not want a winter tire, but an all-season that performs well in ice/snow conditions. Range loss is not a big concern as long as it is not huge. It is only driven around 40km a day anyway, so there is a good enough buffer to begin with.

Any recommendations?

If it were me, I'd do Michelin Premier A/S in 195/55R15 all around. (Note the wheels are still not interchangeable front to rear.)

There are higher performing all season options out there.

Zoomit said:

Yes, I was going to steer him to Continental DWS (dry-wet-snow) but not available in Spark size that I could find. Nokian Hakkapelitta WR are probably better in snow than DWS anyway.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/

As you've likely read, going to 195 all round gives you more choices. There are a lot of good tires out there. You couldn't find a worse one than the stock tire, so anything will be an improvement in performance.

Speaking from experience, my BFG's have been good in rain and snow. At 7000 miles, they haven't worn enough to warrant rotation.

Kuhmo PA31 would appear to be a good value. At Tire Rack... Price After Mail-In Rebate: $210.76 for 4 in the 195-55-15 size. Figure about $60-70 for shipping. The ratings appear to be good for snow & ice. Good wear and traction numbers (UTQG). 50,000 mile warranty... what's not to love?

You may want to view this topic:
http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4663&start=10

an all-season that performs well in ice/snow conditions
No such thing exists. "All-Season" tires are barely better than summer tires on snow or ice. Check the Tire Rack evaluation of exactly this issue. Then, if you live where snow is, buy cheap snow tires in 195x55.

EldRitch said:
... Then, if you live where snow is, buy cheap snow tires in 195x55.
Just to clarify, We are talking about modern 'Winter Tires' , not old fashioned chunky 'snow tires'.

Modern Winter Tires have amazing snow and ice traction due to the soft low temp rubber compounds and the fine 'sipes' in the the tread blocks. They don't have that big chunky snow tire appearance.
I want some on cheap steel wheels, but can't find any that fit. I talked to tire rack and they claim to have alloys that work, but by the time I buy wheels, tires and TPMS sensors,, I think I'll just take 'Snow Days' !!!

15" Saturn Ion (and Chevy Cobalt, IIRC) are 6Jx15 ET42, 4x100mm. Center hole is slightly larger than Spark, IIRC .018" larger.

When I get a Spark, it'll be running Altimax Arctic P195/60R15 on steel Saturn wheels, unless I get some highly unexpected surprise when I try to mount them. I'll just skip the TPMS for the winter months, it's not worth $75 to me to avoid dismissing the warning a couple of times a day.

BTW, Norton, is your Spark green like your name?

Zoomit said:
If it were me, I'd do Michelin Premier A/S in 195/55R15 all around. (Note the wheels are still not interchangeable front to rear.)

This is what I was leaning towards. Heard good things about the Michelins in terms of tread life and decent performance in winter weather. They are indeed one of the pricier options, however. I don't know how they are priced south of the border, but here in the great white north, I am looking at ~$600 USD installed for the set.

Note that the Spark will likely just stay parked if it is a really bad storm or what have you, but on the flip side, all of that snow doesn't just disappear the next day!

Taxman said:
15" Saturn Ion (and Chevy Cobalt, IIRC) are 6Jx15 ET42, 4x100mm. Center hole is slightly larger than Spark, IIRC .018" larger.

When I get a Spark, it'll be running Altimax Arctic P195/60R15 on steel Saturn wheels, unless I get some highly unexpected surprise when I try to mount them. I'll just skip the TPMS for the winter months, it's not worth $75 to me to avoid dismissing the warning a couple of times a day.

I don't think you'll be going anywhere fast then. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, you need TPMS in at least the drive wheels, or it don't go...

EldRitch said:
an all-season that performs well in ice/snow conditions
No such thing exists. "All-Season" tires are barely better than summer tires on snow or ice. Check the Tire Rack evaluation of exactly this issue. Then, if you live where snow is, buy cheap snow tires in 195x55.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. For sure, they are inferior to having dedicated winter tires, but definitely not "barely better than summer tires". It is also dependent on who is between the seat and the wheel, and what speeds the car will be driven at (i.e. highway vs. city). In this case, it is not taken on the highway on a daily basis, let alone in winter, so a decent all-season should suffice.

NorthernSpark said:
I don't think you'll be going anywhere fast then. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, you need TPMS in at least the drive wheels, or it don't go...

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what you say doesn't match what's in the 2014 owner's manual.
I also don't see anything about dismissing a text warning in the message center like I do in my Saturn when I'm low on fuel.
(anybody know where I can get the 2015 and 2016 manuals on .pdf, not just the driver's introduction guides?)

TPMS Malfunction Light
The TPMS will not function properly
if one or more of the TPMS sensors
are missing or inoperable. When the
system detects a malfunction, the
low tire warning light flashes for
about one minute and then stays on
for the remainder of the ignition
cycle. The malfunction light comes
on at each ignition cycle until the
problem is corrected.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals%20and%20Videos/02_pdf/2k14spark_ev.pdf

Taxman said:
.... I'll just skip the TPMS for the winter months, ...
> Those steelies sound great. Some hubcentric rings and we are in business! (you first)...
>>I think I read on this forum the Spark EV will NOT move if it is not getting the front TPMS readings for proper inflation. (this is something I can test in my driveway. I have an air compressor.) {One flat front tire and you can't even move out of the way... is that possible?}
>>>No, it's silver. But some summer I'm going to do a two tone white on top treatment like that show Spark EV. With plasti-dip so it's reversible.

NORTON said:
> Those steelies sound great. Some hubcentric rings and we are in business! (you first)...

Agree it should be me first, since I have a 2007 Ion with two sets of steel wheels.
They're cheap though, I bought mine for $20, and there's another yard about 80 miles away that has some for $25 with wheel covers. $35-40 is the usual price, but if you do a search at car-part.com you'll see who's selling below market in your area.

Not sure about those hubcentric rings, maybe a single wrap of electrical tape or .009 shim stock would do the job, we're talking about just under 1/100th of an inch thick (56.6mm diameter vs 57.1mm).

"anybody know where I can get the 2015 and 2016 manuals on .pdf"

The Facebook Spark Owners group has them available.

Taxman said:
(anybody know where I can get the 2015 and 2016 manuals on .pdf, not just the driver's introduction guides?)

Since the 2015 and 2016 models are identical, possibly save paint colors and trim, they probably didn't update the manual for 2016:
http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/chevy-manuals.html

Clicking the "2015" tab gets you both "Get to know your vehicle" and "View Owners Manual":

The latter directed me here:
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2015-spark-ev-owners-manual.pdf

Since installing 195s all around is deviating from the original spec, anyone have issues getting 195s installed at a shop? I am looking at either Costco/dealer/tire shop do this and I can see them denying an install due to it being out of spec (I have not asked yet, but I see verbage to this effect on Costco's website).

Worst case, assuming they're 55s, have them mount the rears, then take the loose front wheels in without the car and tell them they're rears.

Back