bike carrier

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The metal on the side of the hitch essentially replaces the space where the side plastic pieces came down:

plastic_cover_zpsj6pjsngs.jpg

side1_zpsfr9f0ogv.jpg

side2_zpsdfsvt1pi.jpg

This company says their Class I receiver fits the Spark EV.

Spark EV hitch / receiver - http://www.carparts.com/results/?N=...+4294966764+4294945961+4294962214&universal=0

1) Has anybody tried this / had experience with this brand to know if it's on the level?
- OR -
2) Are they full of BS & slapped the "EV" designation on the compatibility list just to move more product?

I'm sure a lot of people already have bike racks that fit a Class I receiver and a hitch kit that really fits the Spark EV would be a great find . . .

I can't seem to see the exact part number you're looking at, could you post it?
But I can say I'm 99% sure it probably isn't going to fit sadly. I spent many hours under my Spark EV so if I see the shape of the part number you're considering, I could say for sure.

In my research, the company Torklift Central in Kent, WA said if you drive one up there, they would take measurements and design an ecohitch to fit.

I'm too far to make that drive, but maybe you could do it. After all the time I spent to get a hitch to fit under there, I suspect they might be naively making that promise that they can design an ecohitch for any vehicle they can get in their shop, but mine has held up all these months without issue, so maybe they can.

dalysea said:
I can't seem to see the exact part number you're looking at, could you post it?
But I can say I'm 99% sure it probably isn't going to fit sadly. I spent many hours under my Spark EV so if I see the shape of the part number you're considering, I could say for sure.

In my research, the company Torklift Central in Kent, WA said if you drive one up there, they would take measurements and design an ecohitch to fit.

I'm too far to make that drive, but maybe you could do it. After all the time I spent to get a hitch to fit under there, I suspect they might be naively making that promise that they can design an ecohitch for any vehicle they can get in their shop, but mine has held up all these months without issue, so maybe they can.

Yeah, go up to Kent and let them use your car as a guinea pig! It's only 170-ish miles! :)

Srsly, if you could do this, many of us would be eternally grateful!

-Bob K.

DOH!

I did a bit more research and this appears to be the exact same hitch that's shown on the first post in this thread! (albeit from a different seller)

Sorry for the "false alarm" . . .

Anyone know what happened to this thread??

UHaul.com:

part number 24977 - hitch for 2014 & 2015 Chevy Spark EV
- wiring kit

1 1/4 inch 200/2000 lb trailer hitch.

What's not to like? Has anyone tried this? I will order as soon as I get settled at new location.

When your hitch is not in use, the wiring kit lets you install a DIY LED light bar for extra 'stopping power'. :eek:
--

I'd check the Uhaul site for this sort of statement:
Note: All non-trailer loads - bike racks, cargo carriers and so forth - should be supported with stabilizing straps. Failure to properly support these loads will void your hitch warranty from Curt.

Loaded bike racks have a twisting action that is different than the 200 lb. tongue rating.
$114/free shipping: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Spark/2014/C11316.html?vehicleid=20148763

Which means you're back to having a strap touching your plastic wingy thingy.
I put an aluminum angle extension on my 1 1/4" bike rack to route this stabilizing strap high on my Volt to keep the strap off the paint.

I don't feel lucky this time around about installing a trailer hitch on my '14 Spark EV. It's just a big red flag IF you ever have a serious drive train warranty issue.

So for now I have carpet covering the whole cargo area with the back seats down. I pop off the front tire on my MTN bike and I'm good,,, with one bike inside.
Which is nice for the 'rehydration' session with friends after a long ride! I don't have to worry about it all going missing.

I have a strap-on 2 bike rack. I plan on adding extra upper straps to spread out the load on the wing,, if and when I ever use it for 2 bikes.

Rhino Rack Vortex 2500 Black 2 Bar Roof Rack + MountainTrail Bike Carrier (had to shorten the rail so that the open hatch wouldn't bang into it):

2016-11-29%2017.39.47_zpsna0wqp64.jpg

9917490F-9E5E-4F67-B54E-91CDE7F1F86D_zpswof8sa1t.jpg

Next to my buddy Matt's twin from a different mother...
2016-11-19%2014.09.07_zps4kd3gogz.jpg

Thanks a lot, sTeeve,
Now I want my car to be like your car even more!!!
Sunroof?!! What, Where, How???

sTeeve said:

Sorry if I missed it in another thread, but I'm digging the light and wheel tire changes also. Can you share the source/part number for the rear lights? Also, what wheel and tire package are you running? Any mods to make them fit? Any rubbing issues?

Thanks for sharing!

Bryce

Nashco said:
sTeeve said:

Sorry if I missed it in another thread, but I'm digging the light and wheel tire changes also. Can you share the source/part number for the rear lights? Also, what wheel and tire package are you running? Any mods to make them fit? Any rubbing issues?

Thanks for sharing!

Bryce

It's all in my blog: http://2014chevysparkev.blogspot.com/

The taillight lenses are European. Ebay.
There's the tiniest bit of rubbing at full lock; it's tire against plastic and is so light that I have to concentrate hard with the windows down to hear it.

-Bob K.

Any new news here? I just picked up a '14 Spark EV and I love it, but I'd love it way more if I could use my hitch mount bike rack. The miata it replaced had a hitch for crying out loud!

Any chance we could carpet bomb Curt with requests to get them to develop something?

https://www.curtmfg.com/Contact

Actually, some have put hitch on their SparkEV. It required some cutting. Do a search in forum.

But before you put a hitch, make sure to check with Chevy that it's OK to have a hitch. They may deny you warranty if they see a hitch, even if it's not used for towing.

SparkevBlogspot said:
.... check with Chevy that it's OK to have a hitch. They may deny you warranty if they see a hitch, even if it's not used for towing.
This is why I skipped the hitch. I use a strap-on bike rack,, even though it's putting weight on the plastic hatch wing-thing....

SparkevBlogspot wrote:
.... check with Chevy that it's OK to have a hitch. They may deny you warranty if they see a hitch, even if it's not used for towing.

NORTON wrote:
This is why I skipped the hitch. I use a strap-on bike rack,, even though it's putting weight on the plastic hatch wing-thing....
Me too. Two bikes on a strap-on rack seems fine but I don't think I'd do three, and I'm happy my wife upgraded from a 35-pound cruiser to a 22-pound hybrid. Now I don't worry about the weight. I did put some clear vinyl on the wing to protect the paint because I'd noticed some wear from the straps on the edge of the wing on the 2014. It wasn't enough to get dinged at lease return but I want to take care of the 2016 since I own it.

I've got a few shops in town that might be able to help me fabricate something, but I'd like to get them a few pics so they know what they're looking at. Does anyone have copies of the photos dalysea posted? They're no longer hosted on Photobucket.

I've posted this request before: can somebody in the state of Washington near the shop of Torklift Central in Kent, Wa. go there and allow them to make a hitch for Spark EVs?

They already make one for the gas Spark. It should be cake for them to modify their current design to accommodate the EV.

https://torkliftcentral.com/2013-2015-chevy-spark-ecohitch

315 Central Ave N
Kent, WA 98032
Call Us
(877) 343-6933
[email protected]

SparkevBlogspot said:
But before you put a hitch, make sure to check with Chevy that it's OK to have a hitch. They may deny you warranty if they see a hitch, even if it's not used for towing.

https://www.gmoutletparts.com/oem-parts/gm-hitch-mount-accessory-carrier-19354461

Oops, it looks like this is for the 2nd gen chassis and GM erred in putting it in the EPC for 2016 EV.

Back