Roadtrip back to California from Edmonton

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xylhim

Today I begin my road trip back from Edmonton, AB, Canada to Southern California. The trip will be just over 2000 miles. My goal is to leave today, Wednesday, December 14 and make it to the Southern California area by December 18. I anticipate making up to 36 charging stops, using 1 level one, 8 level two, and 27 level three chargers.

My starting temperature in Edmonton, AB, Canada will be a blustery 1 degree F.

Now having 25000 miles on the Spark, this will be an interesting test to see how much the battery has degraded from when I first came up two years ago. The weather is also significantly cooler this time around, so this may be a more challenging trip in that respect. On the bright side, the DC fast charging infrastructure has expanded significantly. When I first came up at the end of 2014, there were only 5 level three DC fast chargers (SAE Combo) on my route. That number has expanded greatly. In fact, once I get to interior B.C., I have an almost continuous string of fast chargers to use. The only large missing gaps are up here in Alberta, and a strange one between the Seattle and Portland area.

I will update this post as I go through the trip. Hoping to smash my old record on Voltstats.com (Electrobyte) that I made when I first came up, for the most miles in a 24-hour period.

xylhim said:
Today I begin my road trip back from Edmonton, AB, Canada to Southern California. The trip will be just over 2000 miles. My goal is to leave today, Wednesday, December 14 and make it to the Southern California area by December 18. I anticipate making up to 36 charging stops, using 1 level one, 8 level two, and 27 level three chargers.

Now having 25000 miles on the Spark, this will be an interesting test to see how much the battery has degraded from when I first came up two years ago. The weather is also significantly cooler this time around, so this may be a more challenging trip in that respect. On the bright side, the DC fast charging infrastructure has expanded significantly. When I first came up at the end of 2014, there were only 5 level three DC fast chargers (SAE Combo) on my route. That number has expanded greatly. In fact, once I get to interior B.C., I have an almost continuous string of fast chargers to use. The only large missing gaps are up here in Alberta, and a strange one between the Seattle and Portland area.

I will update this post as I go through the trip. Hoping to smash my old record on Voltstats.com (Electrobyte) that I made when I first came up, for the most miles in a 24-hour period.
Good luck and drive safely. I am very interested in hearing about your experiences along the way. Include some photos if you can.

Ah, to be that adventurous again. Looking forward to following your exploits. Good luck, particularly over the Siskiyous.

Leduc, AB to Blackfalds, AB: I just went 65miles and have 7miles of range left. This is driving 53 mph. The temperature was about 7 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm keeping track of my battery capacity as I go. My hypothesis is that this capacity will change significantly depending on ambient temperature. Right now, my estimated capacity is 16.17kWh, based upon the method: kWh used / % battery capacity used.

My driving efficiency (in metric) was 6.84km/kWh

xylhim said:
.... I'm keeping track of my battery capacity as I go. My hypothesis is that this capacity will change significantly depending on ambient temperature. ...
I don't understand why the battery cares about 'ambient temp'. It's in its insulated case and as long as it's plugged in or powered up the battery should be at a 'Happy Temp', whatever temp range that is...

Your driving efficiency it definitely affected by pushing through thick cold air with thick cold lube everywhere.
And of course climate control is the biggest factor.

I just started plotting my pack after gathering lots of pics for about a year now. I don't have the .xls filled in by far, but lately my '14 at 28k miles is staying in the upper 17.x to lower 18.x kWh range.

Good luck on your journey Buddy !!!

Is this a lease return? Wow!!!
You are an EV enthusiast like no other :!:

I guess no one needs to tell you about winter survival gear and to bring a propane stove/heater just in case. Will you have cell coverage on your trip? :x

6.84 km/kWh = 4.275 mi/kWh

At 55 MPH, I get about 5.2 mi/kWh in SoCal at 65F. Extrapolating, your range should be about 84 miles. Leave 10 miles for margin, and you should be good for about 74 miles when you get to SoCal.

When I use DCFC and kWh/% method, I get about 16.5 kWh battery capacity at 100%. When I charge the battery to full with L1/L2, 50% use consistently shows 9.1 kWh, or 18.2 kWh at 100%. I logged at every percent and plotted, which resulted bit over 18 kWh at 100%. It seems using DCFC gives pessimistic battery capacity.

SparkevBlogspot said:
6.84 km/kWh = 4.275 mi/kWh
.... Extrapolating, your range should be about 84 miles. Leave 10 miles for margin, and you should be good for about 74 miles when you get to SoCal.....
One Big Tall Factor - - Mountain Ranges ! :eek:

Isn't this the guy that had a sad tale about driving the Spark EV home to The Great White North years ago?

I definitely want to follow the tale this time around!
Will he be flying back home?
How does that compare to just paying a shipper to send the car on its way? And not leave home during this wonderful time of year !

Who doesn't love an ADVENTURE?

NORTON said:
xylhim said:
.... I'm keeping track of my battery capacity as I go. My hypothesis is that this capacity will change significantly depending on ambient temperature. ...
I don't understand why the battery cares about 'ambient temp'. It's in its insulated case and as long as it's plugged in or powered up the battery should be at a 'Happy Temp', whatever temp range that is...

Your driving efficiency it definitely affected by pushing through thick cold air with thick cold lube everywhere.
And of course climate control is the biggest factor.

I just started plotting my pack after gathering lots of pics for about a year now. I don't have the .xls filled in by far, but lately my '14 at 28k miles is staying in the upper 17.x to lower 18.x kWh range.

Good luck on your journey Buddy !!!

Is this a lease return? Wow!!!
You are an EV enthusiast like no other :!:

I guess no one needs to tell you about winter survival gear and to bring a propane stove/heater just in case. Will you have cell coverage on your trip? :x

The TMS keeps the battery at a reasonable temp. But, it doesn't heat the battery to the optimal temp for capacity. I don't know what the actual numbers are. But, the battery is probably happiest around 80F. In summer ambient temp gets it there and lets it provide the most energy. In winter the TMS may only heat it to 60F, so you lose some capacity. But it's much better than having no TMS and losing 50% of capacity when it's 20F outside. This is why it's rare to see much battery conditioning utilization even when it's quite cold outside.

Presumably GM worked out the cost/benefit curve for using energy to heat the battery and picked some reasonable temp.

NORTON said:
xylhim said:

you may need to heat or cool the battery to keep it at happy temp. And that costs power.

xylhim said:

Awesome!! Good luck!!

-Bob K.

Well, I've made it to Golden, BC. Its been slow going in these really cold temperatures, I've experienced as low as -27 C / - 17 F.

Often times the air is so dense that even if I'm going a slight downhill, I'm still having to push against the cold car. This makes it so I'm only getting good regen on really steep grades.

Today I went pretty slow, from Banff to Golden, BC, averaging about 45 mph. At this speed, and a good downhill grade, I was able to achieve a potential range of 93 miles. Temperatures varied between -17 and 5 F. Estimated battery capacity was 16.7kWh.

Tomorrow will be the toughest leg of the trip, before I hit the sting of Fast Chargers in interior BC. I'll have to go 147km on one charge. I'll likely not be able to make it, and will have to stop off at an RV park for a bit of a top-off mid route. I have a mostly downhill elevation gradient, but have to first climb a 1600 ft pass before descending 2800 ft. If the temperatures were a bit more warm, I don't think this would be a problem; I'm hoping for some slightly warmer temperatures tomorrow.

xylhim said:
Well, I've made it to Golden, BC. Its been slow going in these really cold temperatures, I've experienced as low as -27 C / - 17 F. ...
I salute you Sir !!!
You are a fighter for the cause !!!
You are staring Winter's Icy Death in the eyes and driving on !

Please keep in touch.

The local EV enthusiast need to throw this person a party when he gets to his destination!!! :!: :!: :!:

Back