Motor

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Im looking into getting a Chevy Spark EV but it needs a new motor. The vehicle was hit from below from road debris and busted the motor casing and it does not move any longer. Its a 2015 model. I was wanting to find out if the 2014 Chevy Spark EV uses the same motor and mounting? Every thing else is in good working order. Second question, if the first is yes, does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement motor for the Spark EV?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Pete :)

Technically you are needing a 'drive unit'. The motor is one component in this transaxle/drive unit.
'14's have a different internal gear ratio than later years, but are probably identical on the outside.
Who knows if the SW controlling the different years would be compatible?
Even if you find a '15 drive unit it may not be a plug and play swap. You may have to get a dealer involved with the SW/communications of the new drive unit.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

didget69 said:
**cough, cough*** V8 Swap... **cough, cough...**

bnc

I understand that the post was meant to be humorous, but ...

An ICE Spark (i.e., one that has a gas tank) would be a much better choice.

You might just as well have posted "pedals!" or "aquarium!".

Search for a "battery" for a 2014 Chevrolet Spark at car-part.com and you'll see high voltage batteries for Spark EVs for sale. Call those junkyards (there's only a few) and they should be able to sell you the electric motor+transmission assembly and any other parts you need from that area of damage. I recommend you find a good picture of the assembly you need and send it to them (via email or text message) so they make sure to send you the assembly without taking it too far apart. Remember, most people are used to the engine and transmission being two parts and taking them apart, but that won't work for you.

The only difference between 2014 and 2015-2016 is the gear reduction ratio. If you swap an entire assembly, you need a 2014 for a 2014 car. However, if you had a 2015-2016 assembly, you could install the 2014 planetary heat set into it and it should work fine.

Note that you can't just "swap" any of the electronic control units themselves, this takes specialty tools and software to get the communication between new controller and happy again. However, swapping hard parts like the gears and motors should be fine.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Bryce

Back