OnStar "lithium battery issue"

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReddyKilowatt

Hmm, my Onstar report had a warning:

"Lithium-Ion Battery - There is an issue requiring action. Push your blue OnStar button and request an On-Demand Diagnostics Check."

The Onstar operator said that "Vehicle integration control" unit is reporting an issue with the on board charging system and it should be taken to the dealer within the next 5 days. They called the dealer and passed over the codes and I have an appt Monday at 8am. Neither the operator or the dealer could tell me anything useful.

There are no codes or warnings set on the vehicle itself, nothing to indicate anything is out of order and the charge level hasn't been changing at anything other than a normal rate. Plugged in to the 240V Bosch home EVSE it charges fine and I used the local DCFC at the grocery store yesterday with no problems.

The email came about 3 days ago (lol, I was slow to open it), before the last two charges.

Anyone else had this issue? I am thinking some glitch while charging set a flag somewhere, rather than an actual problem.

Diagnostic code: P3023, which means "out of range value in charging current"

Only happened once, dealer has no idea what it means as far as what the problem could be/could have been. The advice is to just keep driving it and see if it happens again.

Taking an educated guess, perhaps there was a voltage sag on the power lines while your car was charging? That would cause it to pull more amps to compensate which may have exceeded an internal limit, if only for a fraction of a second until the electronics clamped it and logged the code. If you haven't gotten the code since and charging works normally, that's probably what happened and I wouldn't worry about it.

(Anyone with a variable-voltage power inverter want to try charging their Spark at like 200V and see what happens? :D )

Back